Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Remember the tweet says' unhappy at the way its been handled'. So we have no idea which players are unhappy, or exactly what they are unhappy about. It might just be they feel there should have been more communication with Goodrow/Trouba, or that the message could have been delivered in a better way. It doesn't mean they are upset with the decisions or the direction...
Changes happen in a hard cap league. The end.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Changes happen in a hard cap league. The end.
Of course. And it's entirely possible, and very probable, that every single player knows and accepts that.
So it's also entirely possible that while players are 'upset at how it was handled' it doesn't have a large bearing on how they view the team, the decision, or their future actions

Reactions: egelband

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers run an extremely tight ship. The UFA’s I’m expecting are guys who we haven’t heard much on but teams appear to be moving away from for various reasons that aren’t public.

Matt Roy
Sean Walker
Jonathan Marchessault
Steven Stamkos

The fact that Detroit re-signed Kane, to me, makes it seem like the Rangers have some other dish on the hook for RW. It’s a one year deal for Kane. The Rangers I’m sure would have offered the same and a better shot to compete.

Tanev is likely gone. Pesce is likely gone. The Leafs re-signed Liljegren so I think they’re out on Roy. No one is discussing Walker at all.

I still think Trouba gets done. I’m still looking squarely at Buffalo, Detroit and Nashville and I doubt any of them are on his list.

Nashville likely circles back to Trouba once they lose out on a top-end d-man and Stamkos who Trotz loves.

Detroit appears to understand that Stamkos isn’t happening, chance Kane. I think this opens the door again for Trouba.

Buffalo has too many LD’s and needs to make the playoffs. It just makes sense and Trouba is still in NY state. Oh and the Mayo Clinic isn’t far away…

This screams they missed out on their desired d-man. Trouba should be in play here…

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The Rangers run an extremely tight ship. The UFA’s I’m expecting are guys who we haven’t heard much on but teams appear to be moving away from for various reasons that aren’t public.

Matt Roy
Sean Walker
Jonathan Marchessault
Steven Stamkos

The fact that Detroit re-signed Kane, to me, makes it seem like the Rangers have some other dish on the hook for RW. It’s a one year deal for Kane. The Rangers I’m sure would have offered the same and a better shot to compete.

Tanev is likely gone. Pesce is likely gone. The Leafs re-signed Liljegren so I think they’re out on Roy. No one is discussing Walker at all.

I still think Trouba gets done. I’m still looking squarely at Buffalo, Detroit and Nashville and I doubt any of them are on his list.

Nashville likely circles back to Trouba once they lose out on a top-end d-man and Stamkos who Trotz loves.

Detroit appears to understand that Stamkos isn’t happening, chance Kane. I think this opens the door again for Trouba.

Buffalo has too many LD’s and needs to make the playoffs. It just makes sense and Trouba is still in NY state. Oh and the Mayo Clinic isn’t far away…

This screams they missed out on their desired d-man. Trouba should be in play here…

it's kinda funny how it's so obvious all the UFA deals are being agreed upon right now the night before and the dominoes are falling.

Reactions: NYR Viper

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Stamkos is turning 35 this season. He's not a 100 point player (he was 3 seasons ago). He is likely still at least a 30 goal scorer but he's a winger the last 3 or 4 seasons.

He doesn't really drive a line though, which is what the Zib/Kreider line needs.
I am not completely disinterested in Stamkos but he seems like the kind of guy who is likely to take that retirement contract in NY and then only be a shadow of his former self. For the term it will require I don’t think it’s smart.

I’m not sure there is a free agent solution for this team this year. One year deals are probably the wisest. Look for trades for young future centerpieces you can buy low on.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am not completely disinterested in Stamkos but he seems like the kind of guy who is likely to take that retirement contract in NY and then only be a shadow of his former self. For the term it will require I don’t think it’s smart.

I’m not sure there is a free agent solution for this team this year. One year deals are probably the wisest. Look for trades for young future centerpieces you can buy low on.

I disagree a bit. I think they need to find an improvement on defense for sure. That means Trouba or Lindgren need to go.

Beyond that they need to find a winger. Even if it’s just a Swiss-army knife guy like Foegele

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Prepare yourself Bern
Kakko for a player
Trouba lucky if they get anything
prepare nothing
either we should be keeping KK or not
that MUST also be considered in context of bread is not here long term

bend buckle and break to that reality

they can listen to me or not
end of the day we will see who was right
When totality of factors is considered, I am usually right about this stuff
e.g., no rentals, trading Buch before he had almost no value due to rfa rights only and no term, etc

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Nick Robertson is supposedly requesting a trade. Would a swap for Kakko be something to entertain? Robertson makes 850k to Kakko’s 2.4 million. Robertson is a LW which is not ideal with our roster construction. Kakko is probably the better all around, but Robertson has more offensive potential in my opinion. Both players have had injuries.

I’m fully expecting to get lit up for this one, but thoughts…?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I disagree a bit. I think they need to find an improvement on defense for sure. That means Trouba or Lindgren need to go.

Beyond that they need to find a winger. Even if it’s just a Swiss-army knife guy like Foegele
Yeah, I mean, I agree, but I’m not sure there are good values on D in free agency either. Not long term ones anyway. I do think Trouba has to go and you can’t give Lindgren a contract you can’t get out of.

Especially if they want to get younger, they need to make some trades.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nick Robertson is supposedly requesting a trade. Would a swap for Kakko be something to entertain? Robertson makes 850k to Kakko’s 2.4 million. Robertson is a LW which is not ideal with our roster construction. Kakko is probably the better all around, but Robertson has more offensive potential in my opinion. Both players have had injuries.

Robertson is tiny (5'9) and is an RFA, so he won't be making $850K. I think you talked yourself out of this one which is a good thing. Rangers don't need another LW.

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

Nah

Reactions: bleedblue94

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
prepare nothing
either we should be keeping KK or not
that MUST also be considered in context of bread is not here long term

bend buckle and break to that reality

they can listen to me or not
end of the day we will see who was right
When totality of factors is considered, I am usually right about this stuff
e.g., no rentals, trading Buch before he had almost no value due to rfa rights only and no term, etc

No nhl team thinks your way

If they did it your way they would always have players like Nils Lundkvist who are prospects and then do nothing

The team would super suck and be a revolving door

Leafs would have to add a Jarnkrok

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2