Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah if they found a way to trade Zibanejad you could sell me on this idea because he does still do work on the PP.

Zib is going no where.

Who centers the 3rd line then? The UFA options are butt.
I don’t know, someone who will stay healthy the majority of the season? The options may be “butt” but this team is in their window and they cannot afford an unreliable 3C due to health, let alone actual play.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don’t hate Trouba but if he didn’t see this possibility he’s more naive than I thought.
He can’t possibly think he’s lived up to that contract and it was always clear it’d be a very real possibility he was moved for cap reasons when the NTC went to 15 teams.
Factor in disappointing playoff performance by him coming on the heels of playoff embarrassment last year with him supposed to be the team leader and it was very clear the rangers would be at least thinking about moving him

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
The cold-blooded rational move is to evaluate trade opportunities for Igor before committing a huge piece of the cap to a goaltender. Moving off of Trouba makes perfect sense as well as letting Lindgren walk.

I equate the Igor dilemma to the Yankees and Soto. The team has so many other holes and is aging out all over the positional matrix and you want to make another long term deal to spackle the walls.

I don’t like the ‘R’ word but feels like that’s where we are headed.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Yeah if they found a way to trade Zibanejad you could sell me on this idea because he does still do work on the PP.

Zib is going no where.

Who centers the 3rd line then? The UFA options are butt.
FC is one more hit away from permanent retirement and that is assuming he fully recovers from last year. I doubt he has any trade value as it is a big risk, but it is also dumb to pencil him in as a 3rd line center. If somehow he comes back great but you can not count on that at this point in terms of putting together the team.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
What sense does it make for Drury or the Org to let Brooks know about something that is very sensitive for Trouba? And just days after Brooks wrote a piece that Trouba is probably staying? Drury told him that too?

I don't know if I am smart enough understand the strategy here.
I don't know how these things work. Try and stir up demand? Create urgency? All I know is Brooks for years now has been getting spoon-fed info from the Rangers. Maybe Dolan just likes the team to be talked about.

He basically broke the Goodrow departure days before it was made official and before even Goodrow knew.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lundkvist will do what the last underperforming Dallas D prospect in Honka did and go live a very happy and prosperous life in the European leagues, where he belongs.

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
The cold-blooded rational move is to evaluate trade opportunities for Igor before committing a huge piece of the cap to a goaltender. Moving off of Trouba makes perfect sense as well as letting Lindgren walk.

I equate the Igor dilemma to the Yankees and Soto. The team has so many other holes and is aging out all over the positional matrix and you want to make another long term deal to spackle the walls.

I don’t like the ‘R’ word but feels like that’s where we are headed.

That's insane lol. I wouldn't call signing Soto - who will likely go down as a top 20 player to ever play - to a long term deal, at the age of 26, in a sport with no salary cap, and a franchise that brings in ~$700 million a year, "spackle". If they DON'T sign Soto, regardless of what it takes, they should fold the franchise.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I don't know. Brooks is a mouthpiece for the org. I can't imagine he would just take that and run with it. I think his stuff comes straight from the org and that's why when he states something like this, it's generally smoke before the fire. I would be shocked if Trouba isn't shipped to Detroit in the coming days.
If you followed my other posts in the thread, I never implied conversations didn't happen. There's two separate things at play here. Do I think Trouba is on the block & Drury has had talks with Detroit, yes, but I think that info was leaked to Brooks by a different source than Drury or the Rangers.

I have no way of knowing, but it just doesn't follow his M.O. I know you followed up with the Goodrow example, but there was no adverse risk with the Rangers leaking that info. Goodrow was helpless to prevent it & Drury probably had a chat with Greer about claiming him.

I have always liked Schmidt. Dont know where his game was at in Winnipeg
I liked him a lot when he was with Vegas, but I truthfully haven't seen him play recently. If he can still skate he might be worth a one year deal. He was always good at moving the puck & has a decent shot from the point.

Reactions: DialUp

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don’t know, someone who will stay healthy the majority of the season? The options may be “butt” but this team is in their window and they cannot afford an unreliable 3C due to health, let alone actual play.
The reason you suggest moving him is the same reason other teams will be wary of trading for him.

If he is healthy, he is way more valuable to us than whatever we might get for him in a trade. If he gets hurt again, we have the LTIR option. If he's out indefinitely, we can then use that LTIR money next summer.

It's not an ideal situation, but I don't think we're in a good position to replace him.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
He basically broke the Goodrow departure days before it was made official and before even Goodrow knew.
Right, and that would have led me to believe it was coming. So when he wrote the piece that Trouba is sticking around probably, i figured that was mouthpiece mode...then this "leak". Just weird. Don't understand it.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Where are you guys reading that Nils Lundkvist is being let go? Everything I'm seeing has DAL putting him in a more prominent position next year. Hasn't he been really good in limited minutes?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Nashville is also a no tax

Again, it’s not 82 games of no tax. A 5% bump would more than make up for it. You pay tax on where the games are played.

I dont see any team throwing more than $10M at a goalie based on how the league has changed over the last 5 years. Bobs contract ($10) was signed 5 years ago. Vasi ($9.5) the same. Price was 7 years ago ($10.5).

Sorokin (8.25) was signed last summer. Helly (8.5) last October. Those are both definitely comparable goalies and locations. While Helly's contract is starting 1 year later then Shesh will (age wise, 31 Vs 30) Helly has 2 Vezinas.

The Rangers (and other top teams) recent runs and failures to win was not because of their goaltending. It was due to other gaps in their roster. Paying a goalie more and not addressing those other needs will doom this team to long term failure.

Tandems have become more prevalent and is still cheaper.

Think about it, you'd be paying an extra $7M to a goalie. That $7 could fund a top 6 winger, top pair Dman or hell a decent chunk of an entire 3rd line.

Arguably the Rangers first window closes in the next 2 years with the ages of the current core. While the cap will be going up in the future, I think the team is focusing on these next two years while building the foundation for the core 2.0 (Laff, Miller, Fox, Schneider, Perreault etc)
Yup. No more than 9 for Igor. $8.5 is fair with a slight home town discount.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Right, and that would have led me to believe it was coming. So when he wrote the piece that Trouba is sticking around probably, i figured that was mouthpiece mode...then this "leak". Just weird. Don't understand it.
Great point. Brooks original intel was the Rangers weren't moving on from Trouba. Then suddenly at 430am our time he drops the gem that Trouba is likely headed to Detroit with the Rangers retaining 2.5M.

He's at the draft in Vegas surrounded by league execs..which tells me he clearly got it elsewhere, even if he simply overheard it waiting in line for the all you can eat crab leg buffet at the Wynn.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Again, it’s not 82 games of no tax. A 5% bump would more than make up for it. You pay tax on where the games are played.

Yup. No more than 9 for Igor. $8.5 is fair with a slight home town discount.

The bonus vs salary structure also plays a part. The tax issue is overblown. The insane cost of living + taxes of NYC and best burbs combine is prob a factor. Plus the type of person the NYR attract and target.

Reactions: Circus86

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There are also all sorts of funds and whatnot ways of getting around of taxes. Like having a signing bonus heavy contract, and having your books in Florida when those are paid out... That's how Matthews enjoys low taxes of Arizona on his contract, not Ontario Canada. The taxes are not a real factor, despite some pundits constantly bringing it up. Agents refute it all the time.

If we somehow start to meddle with taxes on the next CBA, how about we make a modifier for the attractiveness on cities as well? Winnipeg gets relief because they are a f***ing shithole in the middle of nowhere, Florida and New York get no relief because they are, well, Florida and New York.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The reason you suggest moving him is the same reason other teams will be wary of trading for him.

If he is healthy, he is way more valuable to us than whatever we might get for him in a trade. If he gets hurt again, we have the LTIR option. If he's out indefinitely, we can then use that LTIR money next summer.

It's not an ideal situation, but I don't think we're in a good position to replace him.
You’re not wrong in what the other side perspective could be. But I would be gauging the market on him. It could be a matter of the value is too low at this time and its not worth it like you say, but maybe there is a team that would be interested and the return would be reasonable.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
You’re not wrong in what the other side perspective could be. But I would be gauging the market on him. It could be a matter of the value is too low at this time and its not worth it like you say, but maybe there is a team that would be interested and the return would be reasonable.

Makes sense. Don't see the harm in giving Robertson one more shot.

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
Boqvist being bought out by the Bluejackets. If Trouba moves fo we have interest there? Injury afflicted career thus far but still young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad