Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Guentzel was never a realistic option. Drury wants the best talent available that doesn’t want term beyond two seasons.
I'm not sure he even wants that much term, unless it's a low-cost option, given the contracts we have to give out next summer.

That, plus the fact that wing is our position of greatest depth organizationally, suggests we will try to fill the spot more modestly.

Things could change if one of Panarin or Kreider are to be moved at some point between now and next summer, but for now, I don't see us going after the big fish forwards. If we spend anywhere, it will be on defense IMO.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I'll do my best to answer.

If Trouba is sent to the AHL (a la Redden), we would save 1.15 mil of his 8-mil cap hit (the rule is NHL minimum salary + 375k). That won't happen, however. There's no chance we are sending him to the AHL.

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. They were eliminated in the 2012 CBA. Regular waivers would be like what we did with Goodrow. If Trouba were waived and claimed, the entire 8 mil would be off the books. While not impossible, it is extremely unlikely. I can't imagine there's a team out there that will be willing to take on the entire 8-mil cap hit. They would much prefer to trade for him so we can retain salary or take back a contract the other team doesn't want.

If we buy Trouba out, his cap hit would drop to 4 mil this year and next, and then 2 mil for 2 years. A buyout is a possibility, but the regular buyout period ends today at 5 PM. If Lindgren elects arbitration (which he likely will), it will trigger another buyout period after his arbitration case/contract is resolved, so a buyout at that time is a possibility.

The most likely scenario is a trade where we retain and/or take back one or more contracts. In that case, it's anyone's guess as to how much cap we will save.
Could this explain Drury wanting Troubas list before 5 today?

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If you read between the lines, it's more likely that his agent leaked the story to Brooks. Drury's past moves have mostly been unknown until they happen, this wouldn't follow that precedent. Overhart probably got wind of it, talked to Trouba, who doesn't want to go, & gave Brooks the dirt.
I don't know. Brooks is a mouthpiece for the org. I can't imagine he would just take that and run with it. I think his stuff comes straight from the org and that's why when he states something like this, it's generally smoke before the fire. I would be shocked if Trouba isn't shipped to Detroit in the coming days.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
With Brannstrom not receiving a QO from Ottawa, and Ottawa looking to move Chychrun, would they trade him for Lindgren? Both players are 26.

Brannstrom's QO was 2 mil, so it's possible they intend to try to re-sign him for less. He played 3rd pair minutes at even strength last year and was 2nd pair on the PK, but their PK was terrible. Chychrun didn't play the PK at all. Lindgren would be an upgrade there and will probably be a bit cheaper than Chychrun this year, and definitely will be going forward.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont trust Chytil’s health. I love his skating and talent but i would be doing everything I can to trade him and recoup assets. And even though Stamkos has been mixed Wing/Center lately, I would sign him to be the 3C. Cuylle and Kakko flanking him.

No matter who you add to the RW of Kreider-Zib, you should have a solid 2nd PP unit to backup the 1st unit.

Reactions: McRanger92

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Agree on all of this.

One question... is it circumvention if Drury has a side deal to send a pick or prospect to a team for a lesser pick / prospect / future considerations or whatever, if that team claim Trouba off waivers?

That would mean Trouba's list doesn't matter.

Would seem like it is to me.
I don't think "circumvention" is the right word -- "collusion" seems more appropriate.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Could this explain Drury wanting Troubas list before 5 today?
I wouldn't think so, but there could be other factors at work. Assuming Lindgren files for arbitration (or the team does), we will get a 2nd buyout window, so if a buyout is the route they end up going, they have time before they have to worry about it.

However, if there's a plan in place to move Lindgren, that would negate that 2nd buyout window.

I think there's enough interest in Trouba that trading him is a reality, so I don't think Drury is too worried about the buyout window.

If anything, I think the timing is more related to the draft and the possibility of getting extra 2024 picks in the deal. That didn't happen, so now there's no rush.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I don't know. Brooks is a mouthpiece for the org. I can't imagine he would just take that and run with it. I think his stuff comes straight from the org and that's why when he states something like this, it's generally smoke before the fire. I would be shocked if Trouba isn't shipped to Detroit in the coming days.
What sense does it make for Drury or the Org to let Brooks know about something that is very sensitive for Trouba? And just days after Brooks wrote a piece that Trouba is probably staying? Drury told him that too?

I don't know if I am smart enough understand the strategy here.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad