Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Interesting to see Tampa basically trade Serg for Guentzal(plus what they actually returned from utah). Guess they found they were comfortable without him when he was hurt all season.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I don’t want to hear anything about the Rangers “incompetence” here. Tampa did this exact same move to McDonagh last year when they threatened him with the trade to Columbus. Alls fair in business, and if Trouba is upset he should’ve played better. Drury wanted this out there imo.
It was so scarring and horrible McDonagh immediately went back to Tampa.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What is the Wade Redden re-entry waiver claim scenario for Trouba? How would cap space work for NYR and the team claiming him in that scenario?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I'll do my best to answer.

If Trouba is sent to the AHL (a la Redden), we would save 1.15 mil of his 8-mil cap hit (the rule is NHL minimum salary + 375k). That won't happen, however. There's no chance we are sending him to the AHL.

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. They were eliminated in the 2012 CBA. Regular waivers would be like what we did with Goodrow. If Trouba were waived and claimed, the entire 8 mil would be off the books. While not impossible, it is extremely unlikely. I can't imagine there's a team out there that will be willing to take on the entire 8-mil cap hit. They would much prefer to trade for him so we can retain salary or take back a contract the other team doesn't want.

If we buy Trouba out, his cap hit would drop to 4 mil this year and next, and then 2 mil for 2 years. A buyout is a possibility, but the regular buyout period ends today at 5 PM. If Lindgren elects arbitration (which he likely will), it will trigger another buyout period after his arbitration case/contract is resolved, so a buyout at that time is a possibility.

The most likely scenario is a trade where we retain and/or take back one or more contracts. In that case, it's anyone's guess as to how much cap we will save.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I find it funny Drury is bending over backwards to clear cap space and pissing off his captain in the process, only to have Tampa swoop in and steal the guy he wants

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Stammertime?
I can see it now:
1719761682021.png

• Haha
Reactions: McRanger92

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I find it funny Drury is bending over backwards to clear cap space and pissing off his captain in the process, only to have Tampa swoop in and steal the guy he wants
Who cares about pissing off the captain? I'm sure Drury, along with the rest of us, was pissed as hell when he sunk our playoffs shift after shift.

Guentzel was never coming here. There were barely any rumors even that the Rangers were entertaining that. It's clear Kane is their main objective and that they are looking at Stammer if he actually gets to FA.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He’s not going to go on waivers, no idea why people are even bringing that up as an option

There’s a better chance of them signing me and putting me on waivers than there is of Trouba going on waivers
Tell that to Goodrow. And the cap savings there wasn’t even half of Troubas hit…

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I'll do my best to answer.

If Trouba is sent to the AHL (a la Redden), we would save 1.15 mil of his 8-mil cap hit (the rule is NHL minimum salary + 375k). That won't happen, however. There's no chance we are sending him to the AHL.

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. They were eliminated in the 2012 CBA. Regular waivers would be like what we did with Goodrow. If Trouba were waived and claimed, the entire 8 mil would be off the books. While not impossible, it is extremely unlikely. I can't imagine there's a team out there that will be willing to take on the entire 8-mil cap hit. They would much prefer to trade for him so we can retain salary or take back a contract the other team doesn't want.

If we buy Trouba out, his cap hit would drop to 4 mil this year and next, and then 2 mil for 2 years. A buyout is a possibility, but the regular buyout period ends today at 5 PM. If Lindgren elects arbitration (which he likely will), it will trigger another buyout period after his arbitration case/contract is resolved, so a buyout at that time is a possibility.

The most likely scenario is a trade where we retain and/or take back one or more contracts. In that case, it's anyone's guess as to how much cap we will save.
This is why I don’t agree with anyone saying Trouba’s camp is playing a dangerous game.

Blocking a trade and playing chicken with waivers is best case scenario for him because there’s basically no reality where he doesn’t just end up getting bought out or traded on his own terms.

No one is claiming that cap hit (IMO) and he isn’t getting sent to Hartford.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
This is why I don’t agree with anyone saying Trouba’s camp is playing a dangerous game.

Blocking a trade and playing chicken with waivers is best case scenario for him because there’s basically no reality where he doesn’t just end up getting bought out or traded on his own terms.

No one is claiming that cap hit (IMO) and he isn’t getting sent to Hartford.
Exactly why isn’t he being sent to Hartford? The savings is only 1.15m IF he decides he wants to ride buses for the two years, but he won’t. He’ll accept a trade.
See, we can all speak in absolutes. When there is definitely uncertainty.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Exactly why isn’t he being sent to Hartford? The savings is only 1.15m IF he decides he wants to ride buses for the two years, but he won’t. He’ll accept a trade.
See, we can all speak in absolutes. When there is definitely uncertainty.
I think you’re out to lunch if you believe they’d send him to Hartford. He’s not even currently the worst defenseman on this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad