GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
The team at the end of last season and the team to start this upcoming season, when compared, the upcoming season's team is worse than last year, which is a shame.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'm disappointed the Wings couldn't make a big move or two yesterday, but I'm happy we didn't get roped into taking on the majority of terms that got thrown around. I'm fne with Yzerman having time to work the phones, and possibly seeing more kids get ice time this year.

I too hope to see a large # of rookies in the lineup, but given the lack of roster spots and # of unmoveable contracts in place already I dont forsee it...

SE yes but that may be it

The team at the end of last season and the team to start this upcoming season, when compared, the upcoming season's team is worse than last year, which is a shame.

The only improvement is Talbot to Reimer though I'm not sure he is 2.5x better, but yes, he is better

Reactions: taliababa and izlez

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Why are people acting like the offseason's over?

Marner, Necas, Pinto, Faulk, Theodore, Zegras, Buchnevich, Ekblad, etc. are still out there... and those are just some of the guys that have already been rumored to be on the move.

We know Yzerman was looking to add via trade with Trouba. Almost all of the contracts handed out yesterday didn't make sense for the Wings.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cam Talbot has +15.12 GSAA (goals saved above average) from last 3 seasons. That's better than Markström and almost equal with Stuart Skinner. He is a Top11 goalie of all who have played same minutes (7900min) or more.

Other familiar names.

Talbot +15.12 GSAA
Lyon +2.59 GSAA
-------------------
Husso -4.24 GSAA
Campbell -9.32 GSAA
Reimer -12.02 GSAA
Nedeljkovic -14.89 GSAA

Imo, he is by far the best goalie we have had lately.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Marner, Necas, Pinto, Faulk, Theodore, Zegras, Buchnevich, Ekblad, etc. are still out there... and those are just some of the guys that have already been rumored to be on the move.

We know Yzerman was looking to add via trade with Trouba. Almost all of the contracts handed out yesterday didn't make sense for the Wings.

If you think that people are overreacting to doing very little, or that they would have been overreacting to some of the contracts that were handed out, just wait until you see how they handle trades where they have to give up picks and prospects. If Berggren gets traded, some people might actually start committing violent crimes through your computer screen.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

There is literally nothing to say that any of those guys will be traded. None of them need to be traded

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

I need to see it now. No benefit of the doubt. Make a trade I’ll be pleased. I’m not assuming anything will happen.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
It's interesting, how we have only 3 players signed for next 4 seasons.

Larkin, Compher and Rasmussen. Nobody else.

Seider and Raymond will be added next, but then, we'll see.

Long-term cap will be at perfect shape.
Hopefully we can get lucky in the lottery too for once since that’s where this team is heading this year

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
There is literally nothing to say that any of those guys will be traded. None of them need to be traded
3n13xq.jpg

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
It's interesting, how we have only 3 players signed for next 4 seasons.

Larkin, Compher and Rasmussen. Nobody else.

Seider and Raymond will be added next, but then, we'll see.

Long-term cap will be at perfect shape.
Yes but at some point, you have to go. It has to be go mode. Don’t spend stupidly but there is a place between FA Frenzy and signing Sheldon Dries. (

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

The logical thinking is, those teams with those players were looking to move them for cap space to spend in free agency...the best of free agency is over

Now maybe they're bad locker room fits or the teams simply want more future draft capital, but apart from StL, all are top contenders so that makes no sense..

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
This is pretty spot on. The sad reality is that we aren't even through this rebuild, and it looks like we need already need to rebuild again. This rebuild has been smoke and mirrors for a few years. Yes Detroit has improved every year, but it hasn't been organically. Literally any team at the bottom of the league could have singed Copp/Perron/Ghost/or any other veteran player and gotten out of the bottom and still not made the playoffs. Does anyone actually think the core of this team is good enough to compete with teams like Toronto/Boston/New York/Carolina? Or any of the western teams? If so, I'd love to hear that argument. If not, how does Detroit realistically add the elite talent needed to compete with those teams? Free agency clearly isn't going to work. Drafting (outside of the top 6) has been mediocre at best since Yzerman took over. A franchise player isn't just going to appear out of nowhere. It might be a hot take, but the organization isn't any closer to a Stanley Cup now than they were when Yzerman took over. Sure the team is better, but the end goal is the same distance away.
The rebuild hinges, and has always hinged on, what kind of players our draft picks turn into. Hiring middle of the road place holders to bridge their development years, was not a foundation of the rebuild. I assume it was done so those players would have a stable, structured environment to step into once they arrived at that point. I wasn't happy with some of our acquisitions, but it's probably not a good thing to drag through repeated 50-60 loss seasons so the locker room is a bitter, uncaring cess pool when those prospects do step in.

Whether fans agree with that or believe in all tank all the time until your kids are ready, the end game is the same: the success or failure of the rebuild can only be judged in the next couple of seasons when we see what these prospects are at the NHL level. If the prospect pool turns out to be nothing special, then, yea, we're looking at another rebuild. But that remains to be seen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you think that people are overreacting to doing very little, or that they would have been overreacting to some of the contracts that were handed out, just wait until you see how they handle trades where they have to give up picks and prospects. If Berggren gets traded, some people might actually start committing violent crimes through your computer screen.

I don't see idea as Berggren being traded.

He belongs on the ice, and will be one of next season biggest steals with ~1.0M contract and putting up 0.50 points per game. Or maybe more.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Something is slow cooking,no doubt. Yzerman isnt standing pat this off season, and theres a clear log jam in some areas.. things are in the works. I would bet its a larger move or 2 and probably why there wasnt any major money spent today. Yzerman has most of that cap space used up in his plans, just that date is TBD. Dont see a reason why they wouldnt spend most of their cap one way or another this coming season.
Arguably, our two biggest acquisitions last year (DBC through trade and Kane mid-year Free Agent) came long after free agent frenzy day.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Cam Talbot has +15.12 GSAA (goals saved above average) from last 3 seasons. That's better than Markström and almost equal with Stuart Skinner. He is a Top11 goalie of all who have played same minutes (7900min) or more.

Other familiar names.

Talbot +15.12 GSAA
Lyon +2.59 GSAA
-------------------
Husso -4.24 GSAA
Campbell -9.32 GSAA
Reimer -12.02 GSAA
Nedeljkovic -14.89 GSAA

Imo, he is by far the best goalie we have had lately.

to be fair Husso and Ned did both have +15 GSAA seasons the year before they joined the Wings

Talbot certainly has a much longer track record as an NHL Goalie than those guys did though so I do expect him to perform better here than they did

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If we're giving more roster spots to unproven prospects, as it seems might be the case, then the regression is expected. That's a scenarion that was discussed at length on this forum since the close of the season. One year of regression so the kids can step in and secure their roll on the team and adjust to NHL hockey. Does it really matter, in the big picture, if we regress or get a little better and become a first round casualty team in the playoffs?

We're building for a more long term future as a competative team. A couple points in the standings next year really has no bearing on that. He spent on free agents the last two years for the gradual improvement of the team from season to season. At some point you have to stop doing that and give that responsibility to the next batch of players who will, hopefully, become the new core.

I guess how those kids perform will, for the most part, determine if the upcoming season's team is better or worse than last year's.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

If you are gonna hang your hopes on a trade based on some vague rumors that guys might be moved (and not even that the Red Wings are in talks), you're gonna have a bad time.

I also don't know what we would do with a defenseman if we were to trade for them

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If you are gonna hang your hopes on a trade based on some vague rumors that guys might be moved (and not even that the Red Wings are in talks), you're gonna have a bad time.

I also don't know what we would do with a defenseman if we were to trade for them
As opposed to what? Hanging my hopes on overpaying UFAs? I'm trying to talk everyone off the ledge here...

As has been the case for years, the rebuild lives or dies based on the prospects. The best way to add core players outside of the draft is via trade (barring one becoming available in UFA… but even then, your chances are slim).

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I too hope to see a large # of rookies in the lineup, but given the lack of roster spots and # of unmoveable contracts in place already I dont forsee it...

SE yes but that may be it

The only improvement is Talbot to Reimer though I'm not sure he is 2.5x better, but yes, he is better
Honestly the Walman trade and the Gustafsson signing really annoy me. We traded a 2nd round pick to make space on the roster and get some cap space. Fine. We then used that space to sign a worse player, bloating our terrible defense with another fringe NHL D. We have 2 guys on the roster that I'm confident belong on NHL ice and one of them has 25 career games. We could make moves to upgrade that or we could roll with the kids. We're choosing to do neither, and we're paying to do it. I don't see why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad