Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
But now the cats out of the bag , how can Trouba continue to be on the team after it’s made public they’re trying to get rid of him, if he does everything in his power to prevent the Rangers from getting rid of him, that would be a huge distraction . They’d probably take the C from him. Does he love NY that much to go through another season or 2 like that?

Crazy to me.

It won’t he’s likely a goner Monday

I haven’t heard any Dmen linked to NYR

I assume Gus goes? Jones plays

Maybe Ruewedhl comes back cheap like 2 yrs X 1 million per

But if Trouba goes they likely sigh a RD

I assume Lindgren resigns.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
But now the cats out of the bag , how can Trouba continue to be on the team after it’s made public they’re trying to get rid of him, if he does everything in his power to prevent the Rangers from getting rid of him, that would be a huge distraction . They’d probably take the C from him. Does he love NY that much to go through another season or 2 like that?

Crazy to me.

If he doesn’t agree, I would make life bad for him in NY. Boo him every time he’s on the ice, take away the c. Drop him the Hartford. He no longer can stop that. Just remove him from the team. This t still isn’t basketball or football. Let him t sit out the season

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Crazy to me.

Drury tried to do right by him by sending him to his childhood team and he slapped his hand away. I would pass out from laughter if Drury waived him and the sharks claimed him. At least he and Goodrow could split the country club membership halfway.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The NMC protects the player from all angles… that’s why agents fight to get it for their clients.
Once Trouba s NMC turns to a MNTC he’s kind of screwed…
It’s gives a lot of power back to the organization from a business standpoint.
Yes Trouba and overhardt can try to get crafty with their list, but that does not prevent the rangers either
A. Finding a suitable partner for both parties to accept terms of a deal
B. They Give Trouba an ultimatum, either accept the deal in place, or he’ll be placed on waivers and have to go to any team that claims him…
If he pisses Drury off too much and clears waivers with no claims, he can ride the bus in Hartford until a suitable deal is found that accommodates NYR/trouba.
They can also put him on re-entry waivers at that point, maybe a team would claim him a bit cheaper, especially if they sustain injuries early to start next season……
That is not cap circumvention, that is the business side of a full NMC expiring and 1 party wanting to move on…
Also, if NYR has another handshake deal in place like with Goodrow, it’s very hard to prove any type of circumvention between the 2 teams as long as they both follow the proper guidelines/rules of the league.
There is no basis for any type of investigation. It’s the business side of it.
Agree on all of this.

One question... is it circumvention if Drury has a side deal to send a pick or prospect to a team for a lesser pick / prospect / future considerations or whatever, if that team claim Trouba off waivers?

That would mean Trouba's list doesn't matter.

Would seem like it is to me.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
You have no idea who leaked what to whom. Stop it.
Brooks is consistently fed info directly from the team and had intricate details about what the trade would look like

But okay, we’ll sit here and keep up the charade that Drury is some puppet master working in the shadows lol

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Agree on all of this.

One question... is it circumvention if Drury has a side deal to send a pick or prospect to a team for a lesser pick / prospect / future considerations or whatever, if that team claim Trouba off waivers?

That would mean Trouba's list doesn't matter.

Would seem like it is to me.
Yes. That would be collusion, which is not allowed by the CBA.

Heck, we probably already tested that rule somewhat with the Goodrow waiver claim and we didn't even have a follow-up transaction there. The follow-up transaction basically gets rid of all plausible deniability

Reactions: bhamill and Riche16

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Count me in on Kane or Stamkos as well. More moves needed but it will be nice to have guy who can be and wants to be The Man on this team. Currently we have a team of players who want the guy they pass to, to be ther hero. Can’t win a cup with that mentality

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Trouba is well within his rights to do what he's doing in not waiving and maybe even putting Detroit on his no trade list. But he's playing a very risky game and IMO it's in his best interest to work with the Rangers on this especially considering they'd be sending him to a destination that would probably be one of his top spots to go to. If he chooses to play hardball, the end game could be a lot worse for him with waivers.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Who says their owners want to spend 8m on a player they don't need? Most teams are not struggling to reach the floor and if they are they can take on money elsewhere with an asset.
He isn't owed 8m a season, thats his cap hit. He’s owed 6m a season.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Trouba is well within his rights to do what he's doing in not waiving and maybe even putting Detroit on his no trade list. But he's playing a very risky game and IMO it's in his best interest to work with the Rangers on this especially considering they'd be sending him to a destination that would probably be one of his top spots to go to. If he chooses to play hardball, the end game could be a lot worse for him with waivers.
Exactly this.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Brooks is consistently fed info directly from the team and had intricate details about what the trade would look like

But okay, we’ll sit here and keep up the charade that Drury is some puppet master working in the shadows lol

You can't state things as facts when you don't have them and you have no idea who fed Brooks what. The guy has been around a thousand years, he's got more contacts than Drury. He's a hall of fame beat writer.

Drury is FAMOUS for running a really tight ship. This likely came from Trouba's side of things.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
All is fair on both sides of this Trouba thing. It’s fair for the rangers to try to trade him and upgrade his position, especially in light of his recent play. It’s fair for Trouba to do what’s right for himself and his family and try to stay in NYC. And it’s also fair for the rangers to then use waivers if necessary to clear him out. Sad it’s coming to an “ugly” end, but everyone has their own priorities in mind, and when those don’t align, this is what happens.
Yup, and I think it’s ultimately on the agent to explain Trouba the potential of a real shitty outcome for him if he refuses to work with Drury. Putting Detroit on his list means he won’t be able to put another destination there where he REALLY wouldn’t want to go.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I kind of hope he ends up on waivers, because I don’t want to retain on his contract. He’d be doing us a favor getting claimed rather than being traded. If a team picks him up.
Seems like a mistake for him if he’d let fate decide where he lands via waivers. If he can control the destination to some degree via trade it just seems like it’s his best outcome right now.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Exactly. It’s within Troubas rights to make it difficult on the NYR. It’s also within the NYR rights to make it difficult on Trouba. Trouba can block a trade and he can engineer a list to make it hard to move him; NYR can put him on waivers where he could quite possibly be claimed (no matter how unlikely some seem to think that is) by a nightmare team for Trouba or he could be relegated to riding Wolfpack buses… Both sides can play dirty.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I kind of hope he ends up on waivers, because I don’t want to retain on his contract. He’d be doing us a favor getting claimed rather than being traded. If a team picks him up.
Would be the ultimate irony in all of this.

He gets claimed for his full cap hit by some team that he'd HATE going to.

My hope is he comes to his senses because that could very well occur.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I was just addressing what I quoted.
As for the other two, I think it's fair to say that there's a significantly different outlook on the NHL financials this summer than there was prior to the most recent revenue release of 6 billion, that has a pretty large impact on Cap projections

I dont think it is a significantly different outlook. The agents, gms etc all know. They have to. This in no way took them by surprise.

And even if it didnt Shesty still isnt worh 12m which is 50% higher than those goalies.

I top out at 9m. Maybe go to 10 if player has no nmc, ntc and is buyout friendly the last 2 or three years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
And there are a handful of veteran D who are both better and cheaper than Trouba available as UFA they’ll prioritize over a Trouba trade. They’ll be in-market for all the same guys we’re targeting as Trouba replacements.
Sure. But most UFA would prefer to go to a team where they can win… and Utah ain’t it. All things being anywhere in the same county as equal, these UFA’s are NOT really looking to go to f***ing Utah. Sure, that team will be improving but they are nowhere near contending.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Drury and Trouba meeting at noon to hash out their differences over a bacon and hot oil pie.
Trouba during the meeting:

RhMw.gif

Reactions: McRanger92

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He’s not going to go on waivers, no idea why people are even bringing that up as an option

There’s a better chance of them signing me and putting me on waivers than there is of Trouba going on waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad