Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
IMG_5269.jpeg

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I will preface that I am not saying Trouba doesn’t care about the Rangers because I do think the organization and this team means something to him, but I think its NYC that means much more to him. He really enjoys it here, the lifestyle works for him. It would be tough to replicate and that could be whats affecting him most right now with how fast it has all come together.
I empathize with him, but he's a pro athlete who has a contract that's going to end here in 2 years. In all likelihood his career will be over in 4-8 years. New York isn't going anywhere, so if he loves it so much the door will be wide open for his family to return. He's in a better position than most where he can keep his apartment. But whether he leaves now or in a year or two, it's obvious the team is looking to move on, so I think he needs to face facts & accept this new reality.

If this is about his wife's career, it's not like he's not on the road for a large chunk of time during the season. Sure it's a sacrifice, but tons of people do it for a lot less money than the two of them are pulling down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers in 7

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
And there are a handful of veteran D who are both better and cheaper than Trouba available as UFA they’ll prioritize over a Trouba trade. They’ll be in-market for all the same guys we’re targeting as Trouba replacements.
You could very well be right, but who's to say Armstrong doesn't like what Trouba brings to the table & simply pulls the trigger. We're all just speculating.

Reactions: bhamill

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Your info sounds legit, but why wouldn't Utah pick him up for nothing? It's only $12M in real dollars over 2 seasons & they need veteran defensemen to fill out the roster. Cap space isn't an issue, so you can't say there isn't a decent chance that they or some other teams might claim him.
They aren't a poverty franchise anymore so real dollars vs cap doesn't matter anymore. People need to stop looking at Utah line 2015 yotes. Armstrong is a smart GM and he wants good/right players. They just spent 12+m today to start building their d. They don't need to do NYR any favors and take 8m for a 3rd pair guy...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Zero faith in this front office. Patrick Kane? When you were watching the Rangers struggle to generate any offense against Florida which kept the Rangers to the outside and the Rangers could barely get the puck out of their zone, did anyone really think things would have been different if Kane was a Ranger Trade Trouba to bring in Kane? That's the plan. The Rangers struggled to get to the inside to score goals. Kane isn't solving that issue. Of course, Brooks is saying Kane is the apple of the Rangers eye. He also said the Trouba trade to Detroit was close and it now seems Trouba isn't willing to go along with Detroit.

Staple and Baugh reported the Rangers don't want to offer term to any wingers. The Rangers may hold the line with Lindgren and do a one year deal. Lindgren becomes a UFA next summer and walks. Does Drury know what he is doing? Rookie GM was given the keys to finish the rebuild and it's on the job training.

If Trouba gets traded, who is replacing those minutes? The Rangers don't have anyone in their system. A veteran player will cost money. I listen to Arpon Basu's Habs podcast. Justin Barron? His ELC expired. His waiver eligibility is over. The Habs have a million D. Barron will be cheap. $874,125 QO. Emily said the Rangers are looking to acquire younger players. One year for Lindgren and then lose him for nothing. Trade him.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
They aren't a poverty franchise anymore so real dollars vs cap doesn't matter anymore. People need to stop looking at Utah line 2015 yotes. Armstrong is a smart GM and he wants good/right players. They just spent 12+m today to start building their d. They don't need to do NYR any favors and take 8m for a 3rd pair guy...
We cross paths in the BOH quite often, I'm well aware they're no longer a poverty franchise, but I don't care how much money their new rich owner has, saving $4M in actual salary is still appealing to any billionaire.

I agree Armstrong is a good GM, but he's in a different situation now & maybe his new owners want them to compete for the playoffs & he blinks with Trouba. I'm inclined to agree with you, but maybe his pro scouts see a serviceable player they think can bounce back & resume 2nd pair minutes. We can only speculate & hope at this point.

Reactions: bhamill

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Zero faith in this front office. Patrick Kane? When you were watching the Rangers struggle to generate any offense against Florida which kept the Rangers to the outside and the Rangers could barely get the puck out of their zone, did anyone really think things would have been different if Kane was a Ranger Trade Trouba to bring in Kane? That's the plan. The Rangers struggled to get to the inside to score goals. Kane isn't solving that issue. Of course, Brooks is saying Kane is the apple of the Rangers eye. He also said the Trouba trade to Detroit was close and it now seems Trouba isn't willing to go along with Detroit.

Staple and Baugh reported the Rangers don't want to offer term to any wingers. The Rangers may hold the line with Lindgren and do a one year deal. Lindgren becomes a UFA next summer and walks. Does Drury know what he is doing? Rookie GM was given the keys to finish the rebuild and it's on the job training.

If Trouba gets traded, who is replacing those minutes? The Rangers don't have anyone in their system. A veteran player will cost money. I listen to Arpon Basu's Habs podcast. Justin Barron? His ELC expired. His waiver eligibility is over. The Habs have a million D. Barron will be cheap. $874,125 QO. Emily said the Rangers are looking to acquire younger players. One year for Lindgren and then lose him for nothing. Trade him.
I find it hard to disagree with any of this. If Drury thinks adding Kane is a difference maker then he just doesn’t understand the problem with this team. Admittedly he is in a pretty tough situation as far as making changes because of the upcoming cap crunch the Rangers will be facing next season. I kinda think that the impetus should be to push all in this season and then the following year will be a transition year, and perhaps you see some of the bigger contracts like Panarin or Kreider or Zibanejad if he can be convinced moved out to build a new core. It’s actually a pretty tough spot for this franchise to be in.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I find it hard to disagree with any of this. If Drury thinks adding Kane is a difference maker then he just doesn’t understand the problem with this team. Admittedly he is in a pretty tough situation as far as making changes because of the upcoming cap crunch the Rangers will be facing next season. I kinda think that the impetus should be to push all in this season and then the following year will be a transition year, and perhaps you see some of the bigger contracts like Panarin or Kreider or Zibanejad if he can be convinced moved out to build a new core. It’s actually a pretty tough spot for this franchise to be in.
Yep, especially if we're stuck with Trouba & we're dumb enough to re-up Lindgren. Rolling back an almost identical team from last year for the next 2 seasons would be the ultimate no-man's land.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
We cross paths in the BOH quite often, I'm well aware they're no longer a poverty franchise, but I don't care how much money their new rich owner has, saving $4M in actual salary is still appealing to any billionaire.

I agree Armstrong is a good GM, but he's in a different situation now & maybe his new owners want them to compete for the playoffs & he blinks with Trouba. I'm inclined to agree with you, but maybe his pro scouts see a serviceable player they think can bounce back & resume 2nd pair minutes. We can only speculate & hope at this point.
But he doesn't NEED to add salary. He can, but they aren't a floor team anymore hoping to get cap hits over dollars to reach the floor cheaper. Those days are done. So why?

If NYR wants to dump their captain bc his play is of 3rd pair caliper then why do other teams want to take him right now?

It's just not as simple as people want to think.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
He should take every second of his NMC and think about it over the weekend.

If he really was blindsided then yeah this is gonna suck.

Captain of a Presidents Trophy winning team playing final minutes of games? And he was hurt as an excuse to himself.

He can very easily just trust NYR and never have thought twice.

Nobody wanted to Captain this group of betas and he stepped up. I can see him being very hurt.
what?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I will preface that I am not saying Trouba doesn’t care about the Rangers because I do think the organization and this team means something to him, but I think its NYC that means much more to him. He really enjoys it here, the lifestyle works for him. It would be tough to replicate and that could be whats affecting him most right now with how fast it has all come together.

Alright let’s go gloves off and tell him the truth. His art is garbage and using the term art to describe it is an affront to everyone on the planet with eyes.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Well if trouba is still on the team next season we can just boo him and show him our ny love till s team not on his no trade list wants him mid season and we can trade him, but I agree if we roll out the same defense and trouba is still on it, I don’t care how good of a regular season we had, our defense just isn’t going to cut it, it’s like we will have to wait 2-3 yars to hope we can rebuild the team again lol

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Well if trouba is still on the team next season we can just boo him and show him our ny love till s team not on his no trade list wants him mid season and we can trade him, but I agree if we roll out the same defense and trouba is still on it, I don’t care how good of a regular season we had, our defense just isn’t going to cut it, it’s like we will have to wait 2-3 yars to hope we can rebuild the team again lol
Sam: “Joe I can’t tell if those are boos or Trous”.
Joe: “Most definitely Trous, Sam. He won the Messier Leadership Award and he’s a great painter. I have a few of his paintings hanging up in my home.”

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
There are still teams with internal caps. Granted it’s not like the old days, but smaller franchises with frugal ownership still count their nickels and dimes. If not there would be a whole lot more that spend to the top of the cap.
Also it’s hard when playoff revenue can’t be counted on to generate more $$ everyone.
Top teams usually know If they are playoff bound before the season starts, then you have 1-2 surprises.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Trouba's minutes can be replaced by Jones and a UFA. Mancini who Steve Smith loved in Hartford may pull a 2006 Girardi and be on the big club by February.

Lindgen is getting 3-4 years. Fortescue will replace him down the road.

Plenty of budget wingers like Ardvisson out there.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
There are still teams with internal caps. Granted it’s not like the old days, but smaller franchises with frugal ownership still count their nickels and dimes. If not there would be a whole lot more that spend to the top of the cap.
Also it’s hard when playoff revenue can’t be counted on to generate more $$ everyone.
Top teams usually know If they are playoff bound before the season starts, then you have 1-2 surprises.
So which teams are under the cap floor right now that need to take a trouba contract to reach the floor?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I posted a few hours earlier that this trade may be getting held up and that with the info about Detroit trouba and his agent could very well be now holding out and crafting their ntc list to block the deal and eliminate other possible locations to force NYR to keep him.

I've been getting shit about it for hours and then EF reported it about 40 mins ago and people are having a coronary.

People are responding F trouba and waive him as if it's likely anyone will claim him at the full 8m.
I'm curious if he submitted the list is it ironclad or can he go back and make changes indefinitely until Monday?

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I'm curious if he submitted the list is it ironclad or can he go back and make changes indefinitely until Monday?
He has not submitted the list, yet.

This weekend is about making himself feel better about the reality (he’s traded to Detroit). Otherwise, he can play russian roulette with the waiver process, his wife won’t like that option either.

Reactions: AirGut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad