Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Yeah we're f***ed.

At this point might as well extend Lindgren for the Cernak contract so I can just ignore this team for the foreseeable future.
I mean, it really just comes down to what the contract looks like. If its super cheap and they also upgrade the D, how is the team worse? Also dont bring that voodoo about Lindgren into the universe.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We were only close to beating the Panthers because of Igor. We're ahead of the majority of the Eastern conference but we remain a tier below Florida. They need clear upgrades at multiple positions.

Im also very curious how you would group players as far as the bolded goes.
Because of Igor is still close to beating the panthers.
Replacing a piece or two and making an upgrade here and there could be enough to make it to the scf or even winning.
We’re not far off here so ripping it down to the studs makes no sense

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I dont understand what that means. He scores at ES and plays RW. What else do you want there? Toffoli for 5x5?
If he stinks, just trade Kakko and move him to the 3rd line.

I’d rather pay the premium for Guentzel because he’s actually good.

Kanes another perimeter creator who will give you nothing on the walls. We already tried him with the wonder twins, it didn’t work.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I’d rather pay the premium for Guentzel because he’s actually good.

Kanes another perimeter creator who will give you nothing on the walls. We already tried him with the wonder twins, it didn’t work.
Thats fair. But that would involve trading Trouba, which I dont think is going to happen.
Im operating under the notion this team isnt going to move Trouba. I hope they do though. I just dont think we have the cap space for D and Guentzel if we dont move him.

I agree though on moving Trouba.

Reactions: McRanger92

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Two more evenly distributed PP units seem inevitable next year regardless of what we do
As long as it's Jones (Or Gus) not Trouba out there, I'm fine with that.

Between Chytil, Laf, Jones, Mika/Tro, and Othmann, you should by all rights be able to put a serviceable group together if they actually take the time and effort to give them distinct roles/positions, which pp2s too often lack.

Kane just isn't that good of a player. In 2013, he would have been what we needed.
Trying to follow the 2002 Red Wings model but with a salary cap and without Scotty Bowman to turn the rink into a swamp with the 2 line pass rule in place.

Reactions: Machinehead

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Replacing a piece or two and making an upgrade here and there could be enough to make it to the scf or even winning.

There's a middle ground between minor adds and tearing it down to the studs. Im a believer in the core for sure but I just find it odd that people are diamonds hands-ing guys like Kakko and Chytil (and to a lesser extent Lindgren) who barely contributed last year. To me those seem like clear opportunities to upgrade and augment our core guys with players who fit better... It's not like they are providing good value on ELCs anymore. They cost a fair chunk of cap space.

Reactions: Atax

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Is Kane a good 5v5 scorer these days? I assume the answer is no

If no, seems redundant to bring in another PP feast or famine player

But he does help sell tickets and jerseys

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Prob could bring in both. I know that's not what you want but I wouldnt think Kane would rule them out of an additional mid-price forward, especially if they move Kakko.
You mean you aren't excited by the offensive dynamite bottom 6 consisting of:
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Vesey-Edstrom-Rempe

• Haha
Reactions: McRanger92

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
There's a middle ground between minor adds and tearing it down to the studs. Im a believer in the core for sure but I just find it odd that people are diamonds hands-ing guys like Kakko and Chytil (and to a lesser extent Lindgren) who barely contributed last year. To me those seem like clear opportunities to upgrade and augment our core guys with players who fit better... It's not like they are providing good value on ELCs anymore. They cost a fair chunk of cap space.
Kakko and chytil were both injured.
Kakko had a 40 point season the year before, and has a 2.3m cap hit
That’s absolutely in line with that level of production.
Chytil is 4m+ but for a 3c that’s absolutely fine and he’s got potential to jump to a 2c.

Everyone is in agreement that fixing the defense is the priority, Lindgren as a 5d is fine. But as a top pair guy, no.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Prob could bring in both. I know that's not what you want but I wouldnt think Kane would rule them out of an additional mid-price forward, especially if they move Kakko.

I admire the ambition but you still need to subtract somewhere else or it's McKegg-o-clock.

VA will get 5.75 at least. Best case Kane gets 4.5 after bonuses.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
OR
we got crazy lucky and asking Igor to play that far out of his mind again, assuming he is healthy, is unrealistic, and while we have many +++++ feathers in our cap, we still need REAL AND MAJOR CHANGES, NOT EFFIN BAND AIDS

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You mean you aren't excited by the offensive dynamite bottom 6 consisting of:
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Vesey-Edstrom-Rempe

Im getting all hot and bothered thinking about that Chytil lines expected goals rate lol. I wonder when we can be expecting the actual goals? I've been waiting since the playoffs ended.

I admire the ambition but you still need to subtract somewhere else or it's McKegg-o-clock.

VA will get 5.75 at least. Best case Kane gets 4.5 after bonuses.

The team that signs Arvidsson at 5.75 after he played 18 games last year and is on the wrong side of 31 will be having instantaneous buyers remorse for anything more than a 1 year deal.

Reactions: Atax

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Im getting all hot and bothered thinking about that Chytil lines expected goals rate lol. I wonder when we can be expecting the actual goals? I've been waiting since the playoffs ended.
Will be surprised if we get 40 goals out of that bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad