Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
(Essentially) 5 rookies on a team with Cup aspirations?

e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif
Accurate observation.

You may want to look at the averages ages of the Panthers and Oilers. Not many kids.

Reactions: CLW and noncents

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The lack of any noise towards moving Lindgren is a bit disconcerting.

Guys have moved before out of no where and Im sure that would be dubbed as a "surprise" move but if our FO hasn't identified moving him as a priority then we're in loads of trouble.
The only thing that makes me remotely intrigued is holding out hope that something finally changes now that Slats has retired. Again.

Since that won't change anything.

I'm no longer intrigued.

The time it took me to type this is how long I was intrigued lol

Reactions: CLW

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
my speculation would be that the Rangers aren't going to blow assets on moving Trouba's contract and won't buy him out but would entertain an actual deal to move him and his contract. Whether that's likely to be possible who knows.
I’ve felt this was the logical next step all along and I think there will be plenty of interested parties. For all we know, Drury may have leaked this himself to get the market activated.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I look at the Knicks right now as a contrast to the Rangers, and I'm so jealous of how they've gone ahead and built an identity and then they're going out there, finding the right pieces to add to that identity.

The wide range of trade ideas that are flying around this team makes it pretty clear to me that the team's identity is unclear to most of us. We're too busy trying to fix Mika and Kreider. As opposed to adding to a foundation that is solid.

In addition, we've moved out Goody and we're possibly moving out Trouba. If I'm Drury, if I swing for the fences, I'm swinging for a Brunson type, not a complimentary piece, but a core identity piece. And I think Drury should be willing to create other holes if nec to get that core identity piece. If you all noticed Laffy didn't sign a deal this summer and the reports are that he's not looking to sign until next summer when he's an RFA. I think Drury needs to commit to a new core this summer, one that includes Laffy, Igor and one new piece that establishes the central identity of the team. Then, dudes like Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Miller and Fox --- are the compliments to that new identity. But I think the culture shift can't be attained by signing Stefan Noesen or Jordan Martinook or Nick Whitecloud or whoever ends up becoming available in a bottom of the lineup role. We cannot just replace Goody with a cheaper Goody and replace Frank Vatrano with a cheaper Frank Vatrano and expect to get past the Floridas of the world. But more importantly, you need to convince Laffy who will be entering his prime that he's on the right team for the next 7-8 years. What does this team look like 2-3 years when Panarin and Kreider are up? What is our identity moving forward? What is the vision that sells Laffy that this is where his future is?

Identity pieces you can build around don't come around that often. That's the reality. And so it might not happen any time soon. But I think Drury needs a bigger vision and one that he can realistically sell to both Laffy and future free agents.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't like Bertuzzi or Domi all that much. For a supposedly physical power forward Bertuzzi underwhelms and he goes on dry spells.

As far as Seravalli he's a Philly guy and IMO he's printed a lot of bs in the past.

On the defensemen---Skjei and Pesce are the best two but they're going to make too much. Roy and Montour are the next two best. They'd cost a lot but they should be a little cheaper. Tanev is 35. He could possibly play another 5/6 years though at some point it could be a roll of the dice with him.

Dillon could be an option. Klingberg. Zadorov if you want a bit of a loose cannon (there's something to be said for that) but he'll probably get more $'s than he's worth. Forbort if you want a very large shot blocking penalty killer.

Reactions: Circus86

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I look at the Knicks right now as a contrast to the Rangers, and I'm so jealous of how they've gone ahead and built an identity and then they're going out there, finding the right pieces to add to that identity.

The wide range of trade ideas that are flying around this team makes it pretty clear to me that the team's identity is unclear to most of us. We're too busy trying to fix Mika and Kreider. As opposed to adding to a foundation that is solid.
It's tough with a sport like hockey IMO where you have more moving pieces and players on the ice at any given time. Drawing all of those guys together into one identity isn't always easy and the big issue I see at this point is just that if you go the route of "we need to ditch Zibanejad and Panarin because they don't get it done in the playoffs because they don't have that grit" then you're really putting the team a big couple of steps back if you don't have replacements, and it's hard to replace those guys!

So yeah, you're trying to figure out how to work with the talent you have to build something with, not tear out the talent and try to build it back up with different talent. That's hard, takes a long time, and probably isn't totally realistic for a team that is generally as close as the Rangers. Once in a blue moon a deal like what Florida pulled comes along but that's very rare.
In addition, we've moved out Goody and we're possibly moving out Trouba. If I'm Drury, if I swing for the fences, I'm swinging for a Brunson type, not a complimentary piece, but a core identity piece. And I think Drury should be willing to create other holes if nec to get that core identity piece. If you all noticed Laffy didn't sign a deal this summer and the reports are that he's not looking to sign until next summer when he's an RFA. I think Drury needs to commit to a new core this summer, one that includes Laffy, Igor and one new piece that establishes the central identity of the team. Then, dudes like Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Miller and Fox --- are the compliments to that new identity.
But where is this new core and identity piece? Who's gonna give up those pieces to the Rangers? Again, yeah a deal like what Florida pulled for Tkachuck would be ideal BUT I find it very unlikely another one is sitting out there that wouldn't cost the Rangers players like Laf in return.

But I think the culture shift can't be attained by signing Stefan Noesen or Jordan Martinook or Nick Whitecloud or whoever ends up becoming available in a bottom of the lineup role. We cannot just replace Goody with a cheaper Goody and replace Frank Vatrano with a cheaper Frank Vatrano and expect to get past the Floridas of the world. But more importantly, you need to convince Laffy who will be entering his prime that he's on the right team for the next 7-8 years. What does this team look like 2-3 years when Panarin and Kreider are up? What is our identity moving forward? What is the vision that sells Laffy that this is where his future is?

Identity pieces you can build around don't come around that often. That's the reality. And so it might not happen any time soon. But I think Drury needs a bigger vision and one that he can realistically sell to both Laffy and future free agents.
I agree there also needs to be some focus on how this team is transitioning away from Panarin as the main go to guy and how to replace that production one way or another. It is why I dont' think they're keen on moving their 1st round picks but their current prospects aren't quite ready to make an impact. Maybe Perreault in another year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think you can really wish this team to be the Knicks and then complain about the Rangers moving "identity" pieces.

The Knicks positioned themselves to be where they are by moving the bullshit off of their roster. Goodrow and Trouba going out would fall into that category.

Knicks just moved a lottery selection and a popular locker room guy to bring in OG a few months ago. Guys like Kakko and Lindgren should be moved to do something similar (maybe not in the same trade, but you get the point.)

Plus the Rangers have an identity. You may not like it or think its the best way to go about building a team but the answer isn't to try to shift it in the other direction. You can augment it by adding players who bring different things to the table (they have to be good) so you can be proficient enough at plan B when plan A doesn't work (the panthers are very much this.) You can't completely reshape things in an offseason because all you're going to end up with is a team that is good at nothing.

Laf has played 4 years in the league, he's made the playoffs 3 times and gone on deep runs twice. I don't think the sell job will be that hard.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Make a deal for Ehlers, replace Gus with Jones, add Othmann, Berard and Enstrom, give Robertson a chance and let's go and stop with the man on man D. Evaluate at the half way point.
One other point I'd make about playing 5 kids, we've seen this happen all the time like with Cuylle. They have a banger first 60 games and then they hit a wall so now you don't have these parts you were counting on during the playoffs. Also, you have to get these kids ice time otherwise you are just hurting their development. This is a recipe for 6-8 min a night for at least 2 / 3 of your young forwards.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, when I laid it out I was like wow. Though to move forward and be a relevant cup contender next season they need to address most of these.

Also for the purpose of the exercise doesn't have to be UFAs. Trade targets can be included

For #3, it's more of management determining the long term viability of Chytil related to his health. Also for the sake of the exercise replacement players do not need to be UFA, could be internal or trade.

I have a list going as well:

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-________ (1)
_______ (2)-Chytil-__________(3)
Cuylle-_________(4)-Edstrom
__________(5)

Miller-Fox
_______(6)-________(7)
Jones-Schneider
________(8)

I see 8 spots and I'm highlighting who I think is likely

Kane
Skinner
Perron
Bertuzzi
Marchessault
Arvidsson
Duchene
- I think this is likely to be Kane whether people like it or not.

Berard
Joshua

Bertuzzi
Foegele
Pacioretty

Heinen
Mantha
Zucker
Skinner
Perron

Berard
Joshua

Bertuzzi
Foegele
Heinen
Skinner
Perron

Brodzinski
Blueger
Faksa (if he is bought out)
Outside shot for a trade with SJ for Nico Sturm

Brodzinski
Wheeler
Lorentz
Rempe
Aube-Kubel

Dillon
OEL

Skjei
Zadorov
Lindgren
Kylington

Roy
Tanev

Pesce
Montour
Schultz
Walker
Hakanpaa
Trouba

Kylington
Jones

Smith
Edmundson
Hakanpaa

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
One other point I'd make about playing 5 kids, we've seen this happen all the time like with Cuylle. They have a banger first 60 games and then they hit a wall so now you don't have these parts you were counting on during the playoffs. Also, you have to get these kids ice time otherwise you are just hurting their development. This is a recipe for 6-8 min a night for at least 2 / 3 of your young forwards.

5 is too many. I don't think there is anyway we see more than 3 and 2 of them will probably be on the 4th line or a 13th forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad