Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With the cap meaningfully rising for the first time in ages (and then by another 5% next year and probably jumping to close to $100m in 26-27) we should expect quite a few buyouts around the league (followed by some shopping sprees). Drury recent history points to him being quite frugal and I again expect him address some of the Rangers needs via this route. For the bought out players the appeal is clear - about 1/3 of the original contract would get them whole financially plus the appeal of joining a team that's clearly in the contention window with 2 ECF trips in two years.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You can't give Tanev a retirement contract.

Not sure you can Roy 6 either.

Bertuzzi is an interesting one. Domi is very not interesting.

Shine is off Little Bert but he was really good for Boston after the deadline 2 years ago

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Let's break this down in terms of need/type of replacement player needed (edit: Replacement options do not need to be just UFAs. Can be trade targets as well):

1. Top 4 LD (Player out: Lindgren / Type of player in: 2 way puck moving D in mid to late 20s / what are the options?)

2. Top 6 RW (Player out: N/A / Type of player in: Playmaker/play driver (?) to play with Zib/Kreider / what are the options?)

3. 3rd Line Center (Player out/move to wing: Chytil (health concern) / Type of player in : 2 way defensively responsible center that can win faceoffs / What are the options?)

4. 3rd Pair RD (Player out: Trouba / Type of player in: Big vet D that can PK and can handle the puck like it's not a hand grenade/ What are the options?)

5. 3rd Pair LD (Player out: N/A / Type of player in: Either Jones (or Jones Type player) or similar player Type listed in #4 / What are the options?)

Last edited:

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Frank Seravalli will be adding Jacob Trouba to his DFO Trade Board this afternoon.
If Trouba is on the list I’m guessing there’s information to back it up based on something that Seravalli has heard.
What ever your opinion is on Seravalli is, the one thing he has not shown in the past is he doesn’t post things for clicks.

Reactions: surlysailor

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
One thing I think we need to keep in mind as far as point production for any new incoming players is that the Rangers 1st power play unit was pretty close to the top of the league last year and that unit is likely to stay together. I don't think it's likely that the Rangers are going to be able to improve much in that direction. Comparatively for a league wide mean it was pretty close to an expected maximum production last year.....so bringing in a Kane, Zegras, Farabee, Skinner or whoever this player(s) might help to form a better second power play unit but any one of them might not be putting up a lot of power play points. Like Lafreniere last year they're most likely going to need to produce most of their offense 5v5.
That's why I'm drawn to Zegras aside from all the other things... he was hurt this season, so throw the year away. The 2 previous years he had +40 5v5 points. Last year he finished in the top 50 for 5v5 points. We need help scoring 5v5, he can help there. If Lavi keeps the same lines together Zegras makes a ton of sense next to the wonder twins. Mika and Kreider don't give up much defensively, so that angle is covered. You're acquiring Zegras to generate offense and makes plays. If he's not there yet the kid is on the verge of being a star

Reactions: Chytilmania

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Feels like Bertuzzi and Domi are UFAs every summer
You're not wrong.

The last 4 contracts for Domi were 2 years, 2 years, 1 year and 1 year.

The last 4 for Bertuzzi were 2 years, 1 year, 2 years, 1 year.

Those weren't all UFA contracts, but still, teams have been unwilling to commit to them long-term.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Ok. So the opposite of what was reported yesterday. I.e., no one has any idea what’s happening.

I’ll get excited when it happens.

There's been no concrete Trouba rumors but both Vince and Larry only said it wasn't likely, but not to rule it out.

The wind seems to be blowing toward it being at least possible. If Drury is motivated to move him, I bet he can.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Let's break this down in terms of need/type of replacement player needed:

1. Top 4 LD (Player out: Lindgren / Type of player in: 2 way puck moving D in mid to late 20s / what are the options?)

2. Top 6 RW (Player out: N/A / Type of player in: Playmaker/play driver (?) to play with Zib/Kreider / what are the options?)

3. 3rd Line Center (Player out/move to wing: Chytil (health concern) / Type of player in : 2 way defensively responsible center that can win faceoffs / What are the options?)

4. 3rd Pair RD (Player out: Trouba / Type of player in: Big vet D that can PK and can handle the puck like it's not a hand grenade/ What are the options?)

5. 3rd Pair LD (Player out: N/A / Type of player in: Either Jones (or Jones Type player) or similar player Type listed in #4 / What are the options?)
This is difficult

1) Dillon, Zadorov, Skjei
- If the Rangers plan on playing Jones, I could see Dillon fitting here. He replicates what Lindgren supposedly does, but better and is bigger. Shouldn't cost a long term or high cap hit contract.

2) Kane, Bertuzzi, Skinner, Perron. But if the answer to #3 is someone other than Chytil, then this spot should be Chytil's.

3) This is where I get absolutely lost. The center market sucks. Stephenson will be overpaid. Blueger is a 4C. Not much here.

4) I like Matt Roy but he is a top-4 guy. Tanev will likely be overpaid and is older. Myers, schultz, Hakanpaa are options here.

5) Kylington, Brodie, Dillon (again), Cole, OEL. I like Kylington to split time with Jones.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This is difficult

- If the Rangers plan on playing Jones, I could see Dillon fitting here. He replicates what Lindgren supposedly does, but better and is bigger. Shouldn't cost a long term or high cap hit contract.

2) Kane, Bertuzzi, Skinner, Perron. But if the answer to #3 is someone other than Chytil, then this spot should be Chytil's.

3) This is where I get absolutely lost. The center market sucks. Stephenson will be overpaid. Blueger is a 4C. Not much here.

4) I like Matt Roy but he is a top-4 guy. Tanev will likely be overpaid and is older. Myers, schultz, Hakanpaa are options here.

5) Kylington, Brodie, Dillon (again), Cole, OEL. I like Kylington to split time with Jones.

I don't understand option 3. They have a 3C. Chytil. He's had that role for years. Why would a past injury mean he has to play wing instead? Also, as you say, the 3C market is very bad. I wouldn't bother trying to sign one for insurance. If Chytil happens to get hurt again go out and bring someone in at the deadline rather than overpaying one of these FA who isn't very good.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
This is difficult

Yeah, when I laid it out I was like wow. Though to move forward and be a relevant cup contender next season they need to address most of these.

Also for the purpose of the exercise doesn't have to be UFAs. Trade targets can be included

I don't understand option 3. They have a 3C. Chytil. He's had that role for years. Why would a past injury mean he has to play wing instead? Also, as you say, the 3C market is very bad. I wouldn't bother trying to sign one for insurance. If Chytil happens to get hurt again go out and bring someone in at the deadline rather than overpaying one of these FA who isn't very good.

For #3, it's more of management determining the long term viability of Chytil related to his health. Also for the sake of the exercise replacement players do not need to be UFA, could be internal or trade.

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
JD, Gorts and Slats no longer here to vouch for the Trouba Train. Drury about to send him to the Night's watch with Barclay Goodman
947BC1F9-BAA2-485E-9D58-8EF2ACA883EA.gif

Reactions: McRanger92

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would Weinberg take Goodrow money or little less?
Worried about Chytil.
Like Edstrom but at 3c not so sure

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
(Essentially) 5 rookies on a team with Cup aspirations?

e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif

That's all part of the salary cap era to save cap space for the deadline. Also, thats why you have vets like Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Trochek etc around to mentor rookies. It would actually be a nice mix of vets and new blood. Young legs are extremely useful come playoff time, as evident by our exit.BTW they'll always be rookies if they are never given a chance. Othmann and Berard should have had some games this year to dip their toes in imo. Othmanns fake call up was a waste of time.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad