Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Any chance the Leaves (or Trouba) would consider Trouba, Kakko, and Cuylle for Marner and Liljegren?

Kreider-DJ Mika-Marner
Panarin-Trochek-Laf
Othmann-Chytil-Berard
Edstrom-cheaper 4C-Rempe
Brodzinski

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Liljegren
M. Staal (lol)

Igor
Quick

If Mika and Kreider can’t score at 5v5 with Marner, god help us

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This one is worse because we gave away 2 great players instead of just one .
That is a tough call. Gorton was in a sell off mode and we did get a 2018 1st round pick. What I never understood was including JT for Namestikov. JT was young. There was no reason to include him except change for change sake imo.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Zadorov is 29, has been on the league for 10 years. And that playoff run was his best stretch of hockey he had played so far in his career. And now some people want to drop 6x6 on him based on that one run after Zadorov has demonstrated for 10 years that he's a third pairing D-man?

God give me strength...

I said nothing about signing him or his contract value, just that he's a good player and would be good fit on the Rangers

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I said nothing about signing him or his contract value, just that he's a good player and would be good fit on the Rangers
There are lots of players one would like on the team, if salary cap wasn't a thing. We would not be talking about trading or buying out Trouba, because he could be a 7th D.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
As I come back from that disgusting 2015 like loss, I think it's obvious we need changes.

I'm all for breaking up Zibby and Kreider. I'm all for breaking up Fox and Lindgren.

f*** Trouba, send him off on an Atlas5. No heat shield required.

Foxy, honestly, that might have killed us.. he just couldn't be as evasive as he normally is.

Anyway, I posted a 2023-24 Laffy highlight reel in his thread. What occurs to me is that we need to rethink this team. A thought that was provoked from watching that highlight reel was.. a)Laffy is a legit first line player. It's obvious. B)Panarin doesn't reach 120 points without Laffy. And c)Maybe we have superfluous players? I'm not trying to discredit Panarin, or Zibby, or really anyone on the roster here(other than Trouba, go f*** off... Maurice has a lot to say about you) but it seems, repurposing players and prioritizing who you have, might help this team.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Any chance the Leaves (or Trouba) would consider Trouba, Kakko, and Cuylle for Marner and Liljegren?

Kreider-DJ Mika-Marner
Panarin-Trochek-Laf
Othmann-Chytil-Berard
Edstrom-cheaper 4C-Rempe
Brodzinski

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Liljegren
M. Staal (lol)

Igor
Quick

If Mika and Kreider can’t score at 5v5 with Marner, god help us
So a bunch of crap for Mitch Marner?

Here for it but I don't think the Leafs will be.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Oh I wasn't arguing that we shouldn't do that. I am saying we need to get a player that is the right age that can help now and going forward. That's why I like Cirelli. I think he fills a big need.
What need is that? He wouldn't play over Zib and Trocheck. Maybe he replaces Chytil but paying 6.25 mil per year for a 3rd line center isn't the best investment, especially considering the cost to acquire him.
The value favors the Rangers, but neither team would do that (and Trouba wouldn't waive). Marner already makes 10.9 mil and will get more on his next contract a year from now. We need to target guys who aren't about to cash in on their biggest UFA contract.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Folks I don't think we'll be doing anything at the center position this offseason. If Chytil is healthy we have depth there, we're paying him for the depth, and the most obvious way to improve at center for us would be to upgrade from Zibanejad to a top 10 league center which is literally impossible. None are even close at available.

Given Chytil played to end the year I have a hard time believing they're going to go in with the assumption that he won't be good to go in the fall. Closest thing you get is a guy who can play center, but is expected to be a wing when everyone ie healthy.

We can tinker with the D, and tinker at RW, but I think that's what you're getting. No one is gutsy enough to try my idea of Mika at RW, so here we are.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
This is easily shaping up to be the defining off season of Drury’s tenure.

Will be highly telling as to whether he and the rest of the org “get it” or not.

Third alternative. They "get it" but their priority is to keep a competitive product on the ice without rocking the boat too much. A President's Trophy team is 100% on target. An actual Cup contender... now that means taking risks. Corporate doesn't like risks.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Folks I don't think we'll be doing anything at the center position this offseason. If Chytil is healthy we have depth there, we're paying him for the depth, and the most obvious way to improve at center for us would be to upgrade from Zibanejad to a top 10 league center which is literally impossible. None are even close at available.

Given Chytil played to end the year I have a hard time believing they're going to go in with the assumption that he won't be good to go in the fall. Closest thing you get is a guy who can play center, but is expected to be a wing when everyone ie healthy.

We can tinker with the D, and tinker at RW, but I think that's what you're getting. No one is gutsy enough to try my idea of Mika at RW, so here we are.

This could be a substantial improvement by just improving the defense and RW

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Fans conflate putting your body on the line with keeping the puck out of the net. Players like Jones don’t accumulate hits and blocked shots because he wins one on one puck battles and can skate the puck out. You want defenseman who hit and block shots, but not as their only tool.

This could be a substantial improvement by just improving the defense and RW
If I had to rank the units, it’s G LW C D RW. Biggest gains this offseason can be made through D and RW.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Fans conflate putting your body on the line with keeping the puck out of the net. Players like Jones don’t accumulate hits and blocked shots because he wins one on one puck battles and can skate the puck out. You want defenseman who hit and block shots, but not as their only tool.

100% this. To me the most frustrating thing with NYR defense was predictability. They block shots/Igor makes the save and they can't get it out of the zone. The only way they could was to get it barely pass the blue line and then Fl regrouped with it. Another thing was they would constantly try and move it along the boards to get it out so FL constantly were blocking the chip outs and were able to hem them in whenever NYR were able to get the puck from them. Blocking shots, making hits is important but when a team figures out your scheme and wears you down you need to be able to get a little creative with passing the puck or figure away to create separation and skate the puck out.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gutsy? Besides Trocheck the Rangers have two other centers to be top-6 C in Zibanejad and Chytil. And to simplify the analysis let’s even assume that Zibanejad can play RW and Chytil can stay healthy (which are two big if’s but let’s disregard). Who in the right mind would choose Chytil over Zibanejad for defensive assignments? Or to be on the first forward pair in PK, or be on PP1 and take important face-off drops? Are you going to find another under $5m center that’s a better C than Chytil to go through this comparison and come with different conclusion? Zibanejad to RW maybe worth a consideration down the line when the cap is up to close to $100m so $8.5m winger next to $10m center is not prohibitive.

For now let’s tinker with D and RW (via trade / FA options).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

If I had to rank the units, it’s G LW C D RW. Biggest gains this offseason can be made through D and RW.

And honestly the UFA’s available can help as that is where the depth is

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
What need is that? He wouldn't play over Zib and Trocheck. Maybe he replaces Chytil but paying 6.25 mil per year for a 3rd line center isn't the best investment, especially considering the cost to acquire him.

The value favors the Rangers, but neither team would do that (and Trouba wouldn't waive). Marner already makes 10.9 mil and will get more on his next contract a year from now. We need to target guys who aren't about to cash in on their biggest UFA contract.
Why is Tampa also trading their 2C when they have no other real C depth. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Cirelli, but it doesn’t make any sense for Tampa to make that move

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I know everyone is focused on the d, but we need to talk about centers. What is this team doing?

Zib is now playing like a #2, trocheck IS a #2 having a career year, and chytil we hope can make it through a season. This is not good

The org is absolutely going to need to find a legit center for next season. They cannot go into the season with chytil as the 3c and this new version of zib. I love chytil, but if they do that they are setting themselves up for issues, and buying a center at the deadline is insanely expensive.

We wont have the room to try to sign lindholm unless there are some major salaries moved (and if you add a player like that how are the centers laid out??).

Where is nyr finding a top 9 center that they can rely on. We need center depth, we NEED IT!
This is my biggest area of concern currently.
The D will work itself out in time.
Trouba on borrowed time
Lindgren likely stays barring significant upgrade for not a ton of $$…
Not sure when or where that guy comes from, but there’s no clear cut front runners atm.
Best case, he signs a reasonable deal and returns to form. They can look to trade him a year or 2 down the line. Similar to Zibby ( but Zibby ain’t moving at all)

Chytil can’t be trusted to play 60 games, let alone a whole season and long playoff run. He should be moved to wing permanently.

Barring any unforeseen trades or players the FO is targeting….

Stephenson- best of the bunch. 2 time cup winner with speed. Didn’t have a typical year for him last season so it might affect his contract, but he’s going to want a long overdue raise.
Can give you 50pts+ and play up in the line up if needed to.

Trenin-he’s a beast. Solid with the puck, can chip in on offense, hits everything, and has a mean disposition. Maybe better suited for 4th line duty?

Ross Colton- local kid.. looking for a raise and Aves likely lose him cause of it.
Not a defensive stalwart like Wennberg, but he has no problem shooting the puck and shooting a lot.
He also doesn’t shy away from the physical play either

Laughton-we’ve seen him a bunch in division. Hes a solid player that’s going to require a high price from a division rival.

Blueger-maybe better suited for 4th line duty, but plays a hard nosed 2-way game and adds some offense…. Imo, he’s going to be paid more then he’s worth…

That all the possibles so far, feel free to add.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think that line of thinking is dangerous, you are relying on other teams to not improve and to get all the same breaks that happened this year. I mean as the carolina series evolved I think objectively we could say that NYR could have easily been eliminated in the second round and most likely if kreider doesn't go ham in the 3rd period of game 6 we are done. Each season is new and different, the center depth of this team and the org is alarming as it sits.
It’s not out of the realm of possibility though…,.
In the last 3 years, they have been to the ECF twice, last season winning the prez trophy….
I don’t expect to finish 1st again, or Panarin to put up 120, or even Tro to be a PPG guy

But what this team has here in place now, is enough to consider them in the upper echelon of the eastern conference.
Our young guys 26 and under crowd, should all be a year better, older, more experience, etc
Shesty is in his prime for another 5 seasons or so.

Kreider/panarin/zibby/tro are all far from being washed up.

And they have enough ammo to add at the TDL, and just enough cap space to add another solid player in the offseason.

A healthy Fox and 90pt zibby from a year or 2 ago likely gets us past the panthers and in to the dance….

It’s really hard to keep teams cores intact nowadays…. This team should have another season or 2 look with relatively the same personnel.

It’s up to Drury to fix what needs fixing.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What do people think of this idea?

Trouba (3.5 mil retained for 2 years)

for

Jeff Skinner (4.5 mil retained for 3 years)

This would result in Skinner costing us 8 mil for 2 years and then 4.5 mil in the 3rd year.

Trouba would cost Buffalo 9 mil for 2 years, after which they'd have a cap hit of 4.5 mil for 1 year.

Buffalo gets a veteran leader who can add some size and physicality to their defense while saving 4.5 mil in the 3rd year.

The Rangers take on an extra 4.5 mil 3 years from now, but they get a player who may be a fit in the top 6.

We could also potentially expand the deal to include Goodrow (1 mil retained) for Jokiharju.

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4