Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
both agree + disagree, good post overall, will comment further when I have time, but just add now...

Rempe is already a semi regular and will get his balance/Bambi on skates out of the way soon.
His skating is fully sufficient enough to be playing now.

Edstrom should be on the team next year (heck, he should be playing tonight) and be a fixture on the PK.
Agree

Then you should be able to get at least one more roster player out of Rooberak/Chlemar ....
I'm looking forward to those 2 in particular
concur
Rempe as a straight line skater is fine. His rhythm and backchecking need to mature. Then he'll become a true force in the league. He still falls down a lot and is behind the play.

It'll come.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It works for neither team. The Rangers are good at center and weak at RW. Utah is strong at RW (Keller/Guenther/Doan) and weak at center.
Disagree. Rangers don't have any huge physical centers nor center depth. Their "true" 3C is no longer a C because he's not durable (Chytil), their current 3C has the offensive abilities of late career messed up back Jan Erixon (Wennberg), their 4th line center is a tweener who is really a better winger (Goodrow). And after that it's Johnny Brodz, some AHL journeyman, and hopes and prayers that Bryce McConnell-Barker can become Joel Otto after a handful of AHL games. No bueno.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Berard and/or Othmann could bring the same 30+ points, but not the same defense/possession game. Kakko is an "Expected Stats" monster. He does all of the things that those models call for. If no one scores on his line for the rest of the playoffs, it doesn't matter quite as much if he doesn't. It would be nice if he did, obviously.

I think there's a spot for a rookie on the third line. Two spots if we don't get a Roslo replacement. Syky & Jaro right behind, but not immediately next season. Exciting depth in the organization regardless!
I’d argue Cuylle already has a larger offensive impact and greater offensive potential than Kakko.
Also factor in age, cost, and control and Kakko is the odd man out of the equation.
I still say if he signs a 1yr deal he’s gone imo.
He’s more physical and has a better shot.
And he’s a rookie.
Cuylle s role and ice time and responsibilities should increase next season, not drop to 4th line.

IMO they will flank Edstrom by 2 vets on the wing next season with Rempe in the rotation……
I’d argue Cuylle-chytil- Berard would be more dangerous then
Berard-Chytil-Kakko.

If Lavi is he’ll bent as keeping chytil on the wing, put him with the wonder twins and throw a tro contract at chandler Stephenson

Kreider-Zibby-Chytil
Bread-Tro-Laf
Cuylle-Stephs-Berard
UFA vet/trade-Edstrom-vesey

rempe

I rather them try to swing a deal for zetterlund…. Plays the exact style of play we want, younger, and cheaper salary wise then Stephenson will be…
Talented enough to put up 20-25g and 40-50pts with Kreider/zibby
he can play center in a pinch, and anywhere in the top 9……
Like Cuylle, imo he’s a guy that would thrive playing with talented players…. He’s a bowling ball out there. Only 25 years old too.

Kreider-zib-zetterlund
Bread-Tro-Laf
Cuylle-chytil-Berard/othmann
UFA vet/trade-Edstrom-Vesey

Rempe

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rempe as a straight line skater is fine. His rhythm and backchecking need to mature. Then he'll become a true force in the league. He still falls down a lot and is behind the play.

It'll come.
I agree there is room for improvement which will come
but if you put the proverbial gun to the proverbial head, I say his skating is sufficient enough for this post season, and we need what he brings, so he should play.

This is not early LaF, whose rookie level skating was SOOO atrocious

Disagree. Rangers don't have any huge physical centers nor center depth. Their "true" 3C is no longer a C because he's not durable (Chytil), their current 3C has the offensive abilities of late career messed up back Jan Erixon (Wennberg), their 4th line center is a tweener who is really a better winger (Goodrow). And after that it's Johnny Brodz, some AHL journeyman, and hopes and prayers that Bryce McConnell-Barker can become Joel Otto after a handful of AHL games. No bueno.
full agree except to add Edstrom should be used as 4C effective immediately

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

And without Hayton Utah's second line center is Nick Bjugstad and their third line center is Jack McBain so why are they trading one of the top two centers for a wing?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Kakko for Byram? Major risk/reward move

KAM Fox
Byram Schneider
I don’t think Buffalo does that. But I have been scouring the prospect ranks for defenseman who I think might make sense in a Kakko trade. Some names:

Tanner Molendyk (NSH)
Mikhail Gulyayev (COL)
Owen Zellweger (ANA)
Sean Behrens (COL)
Shai Buium (DET)

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Id rather move Kakko and Lindgren than Goodrow and Trouba this summer and it's not particularly close. I know everyone hates the contracts but replacing those guys on the ice and in the locker room is much more difficult than replacing the Invisible Man and Speed Bag Lindy. Sorry if that offends.
Doesn’t offend but it’s silly. Trouba is way worse than Kakko even when Kakko produces no offense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am grateful we won last night where, despite that we finally outshot our opponent [albeit nominally], Panths looked like they were more likely to win.

What Rs did right (kinda)
The don't pay Rempe posture was made to bend, buckle and break in capitulation to bern insisting Rempe play. Yay!!
Howev, despite the fact commentators micro-analyzed his every play, and for the most part it confirmed kid is doing everything right so far, he got min mins. HUGE mistake.
Wanna keep him off PP? Fair 'nuf, though objectivity asks if he shouldn't be the extra F doing a Kreider and even if he doesn't tip in yet, just getting in Bob's line of sight has huge value.
But otherwise he should be playing full mins every 4th line.

But Rempe magic -- winning 20-ish games and losing only 1 or so when he is in the lineup -- was nearly overcome by R mgmt failure stupidly not listening to bern

Kakko was out of the lineup. Big mistake, he is the only F along w/Rempe who gives us another F besides Kreider as to beast factor.

This love of Wennberg must die
The sob gets mid 6 slots but repeatedly, chances die on his stick.
If at all rest of the POs, he should be 4C exclusively, and def not re-signed.

Ros skating only is not doing much, so I said he + Wenn out and Rempe + Edstrom in.

Also TOO MUCH EFFIN LINE CHANGES
POs = NOT A TIME TO EXPERIMENT

not taking advantage of Chytil, who looked better, as a pivot, = mistake

Given Vesey = iffy atm

Kreider - Good/Zib - Good/Zib
bread - Tro - LaF
Cuylle - Chytil - KK
Edstrom - Wenn - Rempe

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I am grateful we won last night where, despite that we finally outshot our opponent [albeit nominally], Panths looked like they were more likely to win.

What Rs did right (kinda)
The don't pay Rempe posture was made to bend, buckle and break in capitulation to bern insisting Rempe play. Yay!!
Howev, despite the fact commentators micro-analyzed his every play, and for the most part it confirmed kid is doing everything right so far, he got min mins. HUGE mistake.
Wanna keep him off PP? Fair 'nuf, though objectivity asks if he shouldn't be the extra F doing a Kreider and even if he doesn't tip in yet, just getting in Bob's line of sight has huge value.
But otherwise he should be playing full mins every 4th line.

But Rempe magic -- winning 20-ish games and losing only 1 or so when he is in the lineup -- was nearly overcome by R mgmt failure stupidly not listening to bern

Kakko was out of the lineup. Big mistake, he is the only F along w/Rempe who gives us another F besides Kreider as to beast factor.

This love of Wennberg must die
The sob gets mid 6 slots but repeatedly, chances die on his stick.
If at all rest of the POs, he should be 4C exclusively, and def not re-signed.

Ros skating only is not doing much, so I said he + Wenn out and Rempe + Edstrom in.

Also TOO MUCH EFFIN LINE CHANGES
POs = NOT A TIME TO EXPERIMENT

not taking advantage of Chytil, who looked better, as a pivot, = mistake

Given Vesey = iffy atm

Kreider - Good/Zib - Good/Zib
bread - Tro - LaF
Cuylle - Chytil - KK
Edstrom - Wenn - Rempe

You realize this won’t happen right ?
Same lines except Kakko in LW for Vesey

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Doesn’t offend but it’s silly. Trouba is way worse than Kakko even when Kakko produces no offense.

You’re confusing “bad player” with “overpaid”. Many such cases regarding Trouba (and Goodrow), who play critical roles on the team even if you think they are unimportant. Kakko does nothing but color blue inside the lines on a chart. Gold star!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If i'm moving Kakko, it's certainly not to keep guys like Goodrow and Trouba on the team. If anything, I'm selling "high" on those guys after their current playoff run.

If I'm moving Kakko, its as part of a package for an upgrade at 1LD, or straight across for an NHL Dman of similar age.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I’d argue Cuylle already has a larger offensive impact and greater offensive potential than Kakko.
Also factor in age, cost, and control and Kakko is the odd man out of the equation.
I still say if he signs a 1yr deal he’s gone imo.
He’s more physical and has a better shot.
And he’s a rookie.
Cuylle s role and ice time and responsibilities should increase next season, not drop to 4th line.

IMO they will flank Edstrom by 2 vets on the wing next season with Rempe in the rotation……
I’d argue Cuylle-chytil- Berard would be more dangerous then
Berard-Chytil-Kakko.

If Lavi is he’ll bent as keeping chytil on the wing, put him with the wonder twins and throw a tro contract at chandler Stephenson

Kreider-Zibby-Chytil
Bread-Tro-Laf
Cuylle-Stephs-Berard
UFA vet/trade-Edstrom-vesey

rempe

I rather them try to swing a deal for zetterlund…. Plays the exact style of play we want, younger, and cheaper salary wise then Stephenson will be…
Talented enough to put up 20-25g and 40-50pts with Kreider/zibby
he can play center in a pinch, and anywhere in the top 9……
Like Cuylle, imo he’s a guy that would thrive playing with talented players…. He’s a bowling ball out there. Only 25 years old too.

Kreider-zib-zetterlund
Bread-Tro-Laf
Cuylle-chytil-Berard/othmann
UFA vet/trade-Edstrom-Vesey

Rempe
Kakko just had his worst offensive season to date, which was 2 fewer points than Cuylle in 20 fewer games. Cuylle certainly doesn't have a larger impact currently, and I'm not sold that he has a higher potential either. Love 'em both, and want to keep 'em both.

Cuylle's role and responsibilities should be increased by working him into the PK in training camp. I don't want him to be slotted down to the 4th to limit his time, but rather have so much talent in the top 9 that he becomes the "10th guy." His style lends itself to a 4th line role, even if he's more talented than a typical 4th liner. Injuries happen, so he'll slot up a bunch anyway.

I'm with you on a Stephenson signing if the numbers make sense, and I would LOVE for Edstrom to have a solid 4th line role. I also like the Zetterlund idea. Replace Ros/Wenn with a rookie plus one of those guys. Close to a "Run it Back" but with a twist.

We have VERY similar lineups. I just think Kakko still has a spot, and Cuylle on the 4th would be an embarrassment of riches.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd really like a big bodied 3C moving forward. Staal was a handful. Barkov is now a handful.

It'd be nice to have an immovable mass in the playoffs.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If i'm moving Kakko, it's certainly not to keep guys like Goodrow and Trouba on the team. If anything, I'm selling "high" on those guys after their current playoff run.

If I'm moving Kakko, its as part of a package for an upgrade at 1LD, or straight across for an NHL Dman of similar age.
Moving Kakko for D sure makes sense but at the same time Rangers are thin on the wing and we know they Canes will be moving Necas, Jets probably will be moving Perfetti etc. I can see a young wing for young wing move too.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Moving Kakko for D sure makes sense but at the same time Rangers are thin on the wing and we know they Canes will be moving Necas, Jets probably will be moving Perfetti etc. I can see a young wing for young wing move too.

idk if we can afford Necas, but Perfetti in theory wouldnt be a bad shout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad