Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This team is worse than the Sharks. Remember that last post where I said that was your worst take ever? This is even worse.

Trouba on wing? WTF?
PLD was a dumpster fire this year.
Byfield is not getting traded.
Vesey on line 2?
Panarin, the greatest UFA signing in Rangers history, jettisoned after a 120 point season?
Zibanejad isn't a wing
Mikkola isn't even close to a 1st pairing D
Ekblad isn't going anywhere
Scanlin isn't NHL ready
A 39 year old goalie is your starter?

This is horrendous

Holey moley.

quick response item by ...

Trouba on wing? WTF?
I believe I said we would be moving Trouba for picks asap, but if we are moving bread and getting back Ekbad for 1 season min, then we could have a brief cushion on how fast we move Trouba
The cushion helps b'c we wait until injury -> desperation -> drives price up
although we still have to do right by JT on where we relocate him.

Now, if
Fox
Ekblad
Schneider
you want to use him til you deal him and place him where there is min exposure vs his deteriorating skating
hence 4RW

try to think outside the box
for once

PLD was a dumpster fire this year.
pld even at half in a vacuum is not desirable
howev, if it is part of what gets Byfield, then at half, we do it

Byfield is not getting traded.
I established premise that some would consider it b'c Kings are up vs it w/some lamenting lack of youth, and if By got 4 sufficiently high picks, it would have to be considered.
Again, I did not create this out of thin air.
If you dig at main brd you can prob find thread about Byfield offer sheet
I think that's it.
If the premise is considered with an open mind, then the 2 Ws are high enough quality and combo of Shesty/what he gets if flipped + getting rid of pld = reasonable for Kings to consider

Vesey on line 2?
temporary

Panarin, the greatest UFA signing in Rangers history, jettisoned after a 120 point season?
He is not getting anywhere near 11.6+, certainly not from us.
The stupid thing is to just let him play out and walk and get nothing.
AP controls those cards w/ironclad nmc but as explained may be open to FL
Getting 10m back for 11.6+ m = small instant relief
Mikkola at 2.5 2 seasons = good
Ekblad we'll see but for next season it is doable risk

Again, think outside the box
We need more of what Panthers have
this helps esp since not sure Panthers go there all things =,
but
if they are losing a top scorer to ufa, they may well decide to.

Zibanejad isn't a wing
There are many combinations but if we start w/Kreider + Byfield for top line as a given then RW is only slot for Zib, a natural righty.
I agree SOME guys can't make the jump to either, but I believe Zib can

Mikkola isn't even close to a 1st pairing D
Temporary bigger guy w/speed to pair w/Fox
yes, that is a fit whichever line Fox is on

Ekblad isn't going anywhere
As explained maybe for Panarin
Also entirely possible he does a Chapman to Cubs back to Yankees scenario and returns to FL.
Fine
Still a win win.
We got good value last yr of that deal, and if we walks we recover 7.5 cap

Scanlin isn't NHL ready
Disagree
to step in top line max mins, yes you're right
to break in 3rd pair -- I believe he can cut it

AND ONCE AND FOR ALL, I AM FED UP WITH R MGMT NOT LISTENING TO ME AND NOT DEVELOPING YOUTH SUFFICIENTLY/SUFFICIENTLY QUICKLY
This culture of deference to vets must once and for all bend, buckle and break to the fact bern is reminding the adage 'youth will be served' cannot be denied without paying a price.

A 39 year old goalie is your starter?
Yes, nominally.
Garand takes the job w/increasing workload as quickly as he proves he can handle it. Doming covers the gaps
No reason Garand can't do the weaker teams to start and build up from there

Replace the entire 4th line with

Duhaime
Edstrom
Blueger

Probably overall even on cap space

Trade Kakko + for Farabee

Trade Goodrow for late picks

Trade Trouba for picks

Sign Matt Roy and Oliver Kylington on defense

Sign Perron to a 1 year deal

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Farabee
Cuylle-Chytil-Perron
Edstrom-Blueger-Duhaime
Brodzinski/Rempe

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Roy
Jones-Schneider
Kylington
no
undervalues KK, rempe

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Fil didn’t wake up on deaths door today like he did after G3 in Carolina, it’s time for Wennberg to move down to 4C
Wenn is a quality def pivot, otherwise useless/overrated
I get due to injury lack of depth they made a deal

but truth be told, scoring chance go to his stick to die
he gets standby injury relief only rest of the POs along w/Ros
and both Rempe and Edstrom need to play NOW

is it not obv that FL is that much physically able to exert itself?
Need youth w/size speed to countermand

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
ok here is what should do for next season based on as things stand/appear now...

premise
we need to continuously improve, STAY AHEAD of the curve
on cap, youth -> energy, etc.

bread will be told, thanks, oter than Kreider and we'll see about Zib, vets are going to be dealt or youth. We are not gonna be a slave to the cap. Quality young assets when cheaper help manage that.
So Trouba, Shesty once practical, buh bye.
You are not getting renewed even in ballpark of 11.6
Let us send you to FL
Panth will need scoring esp if high end losses in ufa
bread + Bob could not be closer he waives, it avoids ugly nyc exit
and Panarin can play for his next contract also no st tax, etc

main piece the other way is Ekblad
he is ok on all cylinders now though his injury history of extensive concussions = risk
howev, he is only under contract next season, so risk in that sense is minimal
whether we want him back at what # and whether or not Ek prefers to return to Panths, you are dealing quality vet for quality vet(s) and getting structural cap relief.

1. bread 11.6+ expiring for ekblad, 7.5 exp + Mikkola, 2.5 x 2

fl gets Panarin and MAYBE Ekb later
Rs get Ekb to do RD and Mik replaces lindgren/Gust. Scanlin competes for 3LD outta camp

2. Lindy + Jones + 4th to UT for 2 2nds + 3rd

Def so far, w/bread dealt, possible to slide Fox 1 yr or so to 1LD while we await for Fortanescue but prob other options incl Barron from MON for 3RD, so Trouba either dealt or briefly temp parked at 4RW

Now we deal based on where trade partners go
There was chatter both ways if Byfield offer sheet got 4 low enuf 1st picks Kings would have to at least consider b'c they are effed short term on futures.
Given that they may consider:

3. Shesty + Othmann + Perrault + Sykora for Byfield + PLD at half

Ks gotta admit eating half is rough but it gets rid of structural cap probem child
also 2 quality y9oung pieces now still elc but better than waiting for drafted asset waiting to develop -- Othmann immediate help, per following yr is ready.

And shesty helps w/current window at ridiculous price and if they can't extend him, he gets A HAUL.

Also Byfield next deal will not be cheap.

Rs gamble Quick starts, Garand broken in. Domingue for depth
Obv, you do this to get a stud pivot.
pld, worst case, don't have to play him, only pay him, and already max retained once can have a final retain should that be a worthwhile discussion

That leaves LaF
again, I want enuf or we keep him
push comes to shove their hf base disagrees, but I think Habs mgt goes there..

4. LaF + Robertson + BMB for Guhle, Reinbacher + Barron

while this is a hit to MON D depth, it is taking away from depth to area of need
also Reinbacher not contributing to parent club now, not immediately available til following season, so short term it is Guhle for LaF
Barron is a throw in they can do, and Robertson is less valuable but lefty counter image, so no big whoop

Rs continue to move ahead

As a result of above:

assume Trouba not immediately moved for picks

Kreider - Byfield - Zib
pld - Tro - berard/Vesey
Cuylle - Chytil - KK
Edstrom - Rempe (yes he can pivot) - Trouba

reserve Goodrow Brods

then on D
Mikkola - Fox
KAM - ekblad
Scanlin - Schneider

in net
Quick - Garand - Domingue

given what might be available and costs
the above is best scenario to repurpose existing older assets reasonably possible to be moved
while adding quality youth and keeping cap flexble going forward
This is some horrific shit, Bern.

giphy.gif

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Chytil is wildly over rated by fans here. He doesn't add much has a terrible shooting percentage and doesn't make his line better. Rangers need 3rd line scoring and Kakko, chytll and whoever is not getting it done. Its always "oh so close" but guess what besides the extremely rare goal here or there they are not a force. I dont see either player putting it together and I would trade them in an instant for anything of value.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
ok here is what should do for next season based on as things stand/appear now...

Kreider - Byfield - Zib
pld - Tro - berard/Vesey
Cuylle - Chytil - KK

reserve Goodrow Brods

then on D
Mikkola - Fox
KAM - ekblad
Scanlin - Schneider

in net
Let's entertain this at face value. I'm not going to get into "that's unrealistic" talk. All of these moves are individually unrealistic, let alone the combo of all of them, but I'm addressing the hypothetical in good faith.

Kreider - Mika - Byfield
We obviously need someone there to complete that line. Getting Byfield would be an absolute COUP, but JIMINY CHRISTMAS that cost!

There is validity in gauging the value of Shesty. The strategy of "Never pay up on a G" has legs, even if I would rather keep him. This isn't the deal to convince me otherwise. Huge overpay.

This line as an isolated idea? I'd keep Mika in the middle, but I love it! All the maneuvers to get there? Hate it. =)

PLD - Tro - X
Oh my. Oh no. "Let's take arguably the best most consistent 5v5 line in the league and get rid of our top 5 F in the league, and our first ever 1st OA that's finally manifesting!"

I could entertain trading Bread, but at the deadline and only if the wheels completely fall off by then (which is highly doubtful anyway). There's going to be talk about an extension, but I'd be wary. Giving him another kick at the can and letting him walk gracefully into UFA might be best.

I'll get to the D, but this is trading an important piece (Bread) for a great dude we don't need (Ek) plus the wrong depth D (Niko), all to fit in a guy we didn't need to trade for in the first place (PLD). PLD's a better player than the year he just had, and if a team gets him at 50% that'd be a great value contract. But putting him there to replace a 120pt player? And then trading Laf PLUS for "futures"???

I love Berard and want him to have a spot on the THIRD line next season. Him or "most likely to be scratched for Matt Rempe" Jimmy Vesey (I'm teasing and value Jimmy's role in the DEPTH of the team), but one of those two are going to replace a Laf that has finally rounded the corner? You just turned our "Best 1st line in the NHL even though we've inexplicably called them the 2nd line all season," into "A nice little middle 6 line that might payoff like an average 2nd line if the stars align." Bad bet.

Cuylle - Chytil - KK
This is okay. It's just "kid line" with a rotating cast of LWs that we already have. Cuylle can move down and that's Berard's spot. If he struggles, it's Otter's turn there. Maybe even a cup of coffee for Sykora. Later in the season, if no one really "sticks," then I move Cuylle back up to that spot.

I know, I know. "Cuylle and KK have chemistry." They're both pretty good at making sure the other team doesn't score. Neither has shown that spark to make sure that their team does. Love 'em both, but they aren't even close to forcing you to not split them up.

Ed - Rem - Trou
Goodie - Brodz
I believe Edstrom deserves a shot out of camp. I really do. Rempe should be in and out of the lineup. Occasionally at C, too!

I ain't even mad about Trouba at F. I would be pumped if a coach had the stones to work that in as a "look."

Mikkola - Fox
KAM - ekblad
Scanlin - Schneider
Mikkola certainly has a role on a good team, but he has no place on ours specifically. You wanna replace Lindgren's 19ish points per season average that brings down Fox's production and replace that with Niko's 13ish???

I understand wanting to reconfigure the D without Trouba. Whether we move him to F or dump him to his desired location for a price. Ekblad's a great guy, a great talent. I don't see the appeal in trading Panarin to make that upgrade on Trouba and lateral at best move to Niko over Lindy.

If the impossible happens, and we trade Trouba with no retention for an actual return (or converting him to a F LOL)...Schneider moves up. Any move to acquire a D should be a 1LD to upgrade on Lindgren. Not some barely side-grade and an awkward fit above Schneider.

Scanlin's a good kid, but I will die on the hill that Jones deserves a real shot at Gus's spot, and he wouldn't move the needle in a trade anyway.

I already granted the agree to disagree with Shesty. I get it, but wouldn't necessarily. Garand might actually have some juice, and Louie is a good soldier. If Domingue was the backup in the playoffs next year due to an injury or something, I'd at least be able to breathe. Garand needs another year to cook anyway.

All in all, I know that the effort is to add to and improve picks, while adding kids that are just about ready to come up. That's a good GMing goal. But you've trashed the second line, attempted to sell high on Igor, and made some lateral moves. Especially considering you've traded our farm (Othmann, Perreault, Jones, Sykora, BMB, Robertson) for a different one (Guhle, Reiner, Barron).

All to try and get a "third guy" for the 20-93 line. Even if I like that one addition in a vacuum.

Best - Friends - XXX
French - Bread - Pizza
Rookie - Chytil - Kakko
Cuylle - Goodie - Vesey
Eds - Remps - Brodz (all can play C)

We need ONE GUY and we're even better off than this season (injuries aside). Even if Kakko goes to the 1st line and Chytil actually has TWO rookies around him, that forward corps would absolutely SMOKE the one you put out. We could basically do nothing and still have a better 4 lines. Plus Shesty!

My move would be to try to dump Goodrow and grab a Chytil clone. That XXX above. Even if Kakko slots up, two Chytil's and a Rookie would be a SICK 3rd line.

TLDR: I see where your heart's at, but not where your head's at. I'll at least be constructive about it since I'm also an idiot that likes to type things. =)

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Ideally, we move them all out. I know that's unrealistic, but one can dream.
I don't know what prospect timelines are going to look like but over the next several years, our organization will have to make calls on several players (play or trade) and decide what type of lineup they want. Some of the prospects will not pan out and make those decisions for us (hopefully we can flip them in trades in those cases). Of course, what does the cap look like and are there key UFAs Drury has his eye on e.g. Draisaitl. Is there a Zach Hyman like UFA waiting to break out? etc.

DEPTH (bold = at least one full NHL season)
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Chytil-Vesey

Edstrom-Goodrow-Rempe
Berard-Sykora-Othmann
Laba-BMB-Perrault
Lamb-Roobroeck-Chmelar

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider

Fortescue-Scanlin
Roberston-Mancini

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

premise

bread will be told, thanks, oter than Kreider and we'll see about Zib, vets are going to be dealt or youth. We are not gonna be a slave to the cap. Quality young assets when cheaper help manage that.
Let us send you to FL

he is ok on all cylinders now though his injury history of extensive concussions = risk
whether we want him back at what # and whether or not Ek prefers to return to Panths, you are dealing quality vet for quality vet(s) and getting structural cap relief.

Rs get Ekb to do RD and Mik replaces lindgren/Gust. Scanlin competes for 3LD outta camp

Def so far, w/bread dealt, possible to slide Fox 1 yr or so to 1LD while we await for Fortanescue but prob other options incl Barron from MON for 3RD, so Trouba either dealt or briefly temp parked at 4RW

There was chatter both ways if Byfield offer sheet got 4 low enuf 1st picks Kings would have to at least consider b'c they are effed short term on futures.

Ks gotta admit eating half is rough but it gets rid of structural cap probem child
also 2 quality y9oung pieces now still elc but better than waiting for drafted asset waiting to develop -- Othmann immediate help, per following yr is ready.

And shesty helps w/current window at ridiculous price and if they can't extend him, he gets A HAUL.

pld, worst case, don't have to play him, only pay him, and already max retained once can have a final retain should that be a worthwhile discussion

That leaves LaF

while this is a hit to MON D depth, it is taking away from depth to area of need
also Reinbacher not contributing to parent club now, not immediately available til following season, so short term it is Guhle for LaF
Barron is a throw in they can do, and Robertson is less valuable but lefty counter image, so no big whoop

As a result of above:

Kreider - Byfield - Zib
pld - Tro - berard/Vesey
Cuylle - Chytil - KK

reserve Goodrow Brods

then on D
Mikkola - Fox
KAM - ekblad
Scanlin - Schneider

in net

the above is best scenario to repurpose existing older assets reasonably possible to be moved

You know I'm so glad I will never be the worst poster on HF with you around.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

premise

Let us send you to FL

That leaves LaF

As a result of above:

Kreider - Byfield - Zib
pld - Tro - berard/Vesey
Cuylle - Chytil - KK

reserve Goodrow Brods

then on D
Mikkola - Fox
KAM - ekblad
Scanlin - Schneider

in net

I can’t do it. I’m not touching this one.
Are you trying to bait me Bern? In the middle of a ECF?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I know it's super early and never give up never surrender but if the Rangers can't figure out Florida the door isn't going to slam shut. In some ways this group is about 1-2 years ahead and Drury/Liley/etc. have done a nice job drafting and this team should have another few cracks at it for the rest of this decade. The next wave are a lot chippier, better skaters, and play with some piss and vinegar.

The bottom six is going to have a lot of internal options over the next few seasons. Rempe is already a semi regular and will get his balance/Bambi on skates out of the way soon. Edstrom should be on the team next year (heck, he should be playing tonight) and be a fixture on the PK. Then you should be able to get at least one more roster player out of Rooberak/Chlemar/Vasailen/BMB.

Middle six it's Othmann and Berard's jobs to lose this fall, and Sykora may get a cup of coffee next year.

On D Mancini had a great "spring internship" and has made strides, and then there's Fortescue. Both are big dudes who can skate and should be replacing Trouba and Lindgren in the next 2-3 years.

For more changes, unless Kakko explodes this series, he's probably going to be traded this offseason. The arbitration/bang for buck isn't there. I can see him being used to acquire some more picks. Jones becomes DMan 6 by default unless they bring someone else in.

I know he's not as sexy a name but if the can trade Trouba, I'd seriously go after Jaylen Chatfield. That guy is a really really good modern defensive DMan and doesn't have the wear and tear of someone that age as he was a late bloomer.

Chandler Stephenson is the dream 3C.

I'd bring back Roslovic if he's take a cheap deal only because we know he at least can play with the best buds and he's also a 3C in case Chytil is converted to a wing fulltime or gets hurt. You can't just throw Berard or random UFA with them and hope for the best.

Metro isn't going to be much different next year unless some team goes bonkers this offseason. Penguins will be a year older and probably minus Guentzel, Devils stuck with that group. Canes are going to have a huge roster turnover. I only see Philadelphia being better and maybe the Islanders on par.

Reactions: McRanger92

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kakko has chemistry with no one. He sucks.
He’s largely turning into wennberg. A responsible player of is a 99% pass guy 1st and foremost, not a threat to score unless the earth, moon, and Sun are in total alignment.
He’s def not an offensive driver of a line, he could/is still a good complementary bottom 6er….
But Berard and/or Othmann could bring the same if not better O for a fraction of the price come training camp.
Chmelar should be right on their heels, and sykora after him….
Kakko might absolutely be dealt at the draft if he doesn’t score the rest of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrAlmost

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
this stupidity ....

...must be repudiated.

No to allowing Panths to physically exert will by playing useless Wennberg + Ros over Rempe + Edstrom

R mgmt, listen to bern here, or wish you had!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I know it's super early and never give up never surrender but if the Rangers can't figure out Florida the door isn't going to slam shut. In some ways this group is about 1-2 years ahead and Drury/Liley/etc. have done a nice job drafting and this team should have another few cracks at it for the rest of this decade. The next wave are a lot chippier, better skaters, and play with some piss and vinegar.

The bottom six is going to have a lot of internal options over the next few seasons. Rempe is already a semi regular and will get his balance/Bambi on skates out of the way soon. Edstrom should be on the team next year (heck, he should be playing tonight) and be a fixture on the PK. Then you should be able to get at least one more roster player out of Rooberak/Chlemar/Vasailen/BMB.

Middle six it's Othmann and Berard's jobs to lose this fall, and Sykora may get a cup of coffee next year.

On D Mancini had a great "spring internship" and has made strides, and then there's Fortescue. Both are big dudes who can skate and should be replacing Trouba and Lindgren in the next 2-3 years.

For more changes, unless Kakko explodes this series, he's probably going to be traded this offseason. The arbitration/bang for buck isn't there. I can see him being used to acquire some more picks. Jones becomes DMan 6 by default unless they bring someone else in.

I know he's not as sexy a name but if the can trade Trouba, I'd seriously go after Jaylen Chatfield. That guy is a really really good modern defensive DMan and doesn't have the wear and tear of someone that age as he was a late bloomer.

Chandler Stephenson is the dream 3C.

I'd bring back Roslovic if he's take a cheap deal only because we know he at least can play with the best buds and he's also a 3C in case Chytil is converted to a wing fulltime or gets hurt. You can't just throw Berard or random UFA with them and hope for the best.

Metro isn't going to be much different next year unless some team goes bonkers this offseason. Penguins will be a year older and probably minus Guentzel, Devils stuck with that group. Canes are going to have a huge roster turnover. I only see Philadelphia being better and maybe the Islanders on par.
both agree + disagree, good post overall, will comment further when I have time, but just add now...

Rempe is already a semi regular and will get his balance/Bambi on skates out of the way soon.
His skating is fully sufficient enough to be playing now.

Edstrom should be on the team next year (heck, he should be playing tonight) and be a fixture on the PK.
Agree

Then you should be able to get at least one more roster player out of Rooberak/Chlemar ....
I'm looking forward to those 2 in particular
concur

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
MUST NOT TRADE YOUTH FOR VETS

ALSO OTHMANN PERREAULT SYKORA FOR PLD
I think we have a winner, ladies + gents!
Most dishonest post in a long time, possibly ever, and completely cherry picking to falsely represent what OP said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pld is an unwelcome albatross taken in at half as part of the price paid, along w/Oth, Per, Syk, and Shesty FOR BYFIELD -- a potentially elite foundation piece.

As is obvious, YOU declined to even mention THAT FACT

FOR SHAME nonsense, for shame

This is some horrific shit, Bern.

giphy.gif
my friend, not the first/last time we will agree to disagree

feel free to elaborate

ps
cool visual
disgusting but cool!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Let's entertain this at face value. I'm not going to get into "that's unrealistic" talk. All of these moves are individually unrealistic, let alone the combo of all of them, but I'm addressing the hypothetical in good faith.

Kreider - Mika - Byfield
We obviously need someone there to complete that line. Getting Byfield would be an absolute COUP, but JIMINY CHRISTMAS that cost!

There is validity in gauging the value of Shesty. The strategy of "Never pay up on a G" has legs, even if I would rather keep him. This isn't the deal to convince me otherwise. Huge overpay.

This line as an isolated idea? I'd keep Mika in the middle, but I love it! All the maneuvers to get there? Hate it. =)

PLD - Tro - X
Oh my. Oh no. "Let's take arguably the best most consistent 5v5 line in the league and get rid of our top 5 F in the league, and our first ever 1st OA that's finally manifesting!"

I could entertain trading Bread, but at the deadline and only if the wheels completely fall off by then (which is highly doubtful anyway). There's going to be talk about an extension, but I'd be wary. Giving him another kick at the can and letting him walk gracefully into UFA might be best.

I'll get to the D, but this is trading an important piece (Bread) for a great dude we don't need (Ek) plus the wrong depth D (Niko), all to fit in a guy we didn't need to trade for in the first place (PLD). PLD's a better player than the year he just had, and if a team gets him at 50% that'd be a great value contract. But putting him there to replace a 120pt player? And then trading Laf PLUS for "futures"???

I love Berard and want him to have a spot on the THIRD line next season. Him or "most likely to be scratched for Matt Rempe" Jimmy Vesey (I'm teasing and value Jimmy's role in the DEPTH of the team), but one of those two are going to replace a Laf that has finally rounded the corner? You just turned our "Best 1st line in the NHL even though we've inexplicably called them the 2nd line all season," into "A nice little middle 6 line that might payoff like an average 2nd line if the stars align." Bad bet.

Cuylle - Chytil - KK
This is okay. It's just "kid line" with a rotating cast of LWs that we already have. Cuylle can move down and that's Berard's spot. If he struggles, it's Otter's turn there. Maybe even a cup of coffee for Sykora. Later in the season, if no one really "sticks," then I move Cuylle back up to that spot.

I know, I know. "Cuylle and KK have chemistry." They're both pretty good at making sure the other team doesn't score. Neither has shown that spark to make sure that their team does. Love 'em both, but they aren't even close to forcing you to not split them up.

Ed - Rem - Trou
Goodie - Brodz
I believe Edstrom deserves a shot out of camp. I really do. Rempe should be in and out of the lineup. Occasionally at C, too!

I ain't even mad about Trouba at F. I would be pumped if a coach had the stones to work that in as a "look."

Mikkola - Fox
KAM - ekblad
Scanlin - Schneider
Mikkola certainly has a role on a good team, but he has no place on ours specifically. You wanna replace Lindgren's 19ish points per season average that brings down Fox's production and replace that with Niko's 13ish???

I understand wanting to reconfigure the D without Trouba. Whether we move him to F or dump him to his desired location for a price. Ekblad's a great guy, a great talent. I don't see the appeal in trading Panarin to make that upgrade on Trouba and lateral at best move to Niko over Lindy.

If the impossible happens, and we trade Trouba with no retention for an actual return (or converting him to a F LOL)...Schneider moves up. Any move to acquire a D should be a 1LD to upgrade on Lindgren. Not some barely side-grade and an awkward fit above Schneider.

Scanlin's a good kid, but I will die on the hill that Jones deserves a real shot at Gus's spot, and he wouldn't move the needle in a trade anyway.

I already granted the agree to disagree with Shesty. I get it, but wouldn't necessarily. Garand might actually have some juice, and Louie is a good soldier. If Domingue was the backup in the playoffs next year due to an injury or something, I'd at least be able to breathe. Garand needs another year to cook anyway.

All in all, I know that the effort is to add to and improve picks, while adding kids that are just about ready to come up. That's a good GMing goal. But you've trashed the second line, attempted to sell high on Igor, and made some lateral moves. Especially considering you've traded our farm (Othmann, Perreault, Jones, Sykora, BMB, Robertson) for a different one (Guhle, Reiner, Barron).

All to try and get a "third guy" for the 20-93 line. Even if I like that one addition in a vacuum.

Best - Friends - XXX
French - Bread - Pizza
Rookie - Chytil - Kakko
Cuylle - Goodie - Vesey
Eds - Remps - Brodz (all can play C)

We need ONE GUY and we're even better off than this season (injuries aside). Even if Kakko goes to the 1st line and Chytil actually has TWO rookies around him, that forward corps would absolutely SMOKE the one you put out. We could basically do nothing and still have a better 4 lines. Plus Shesty!

My move would be to try to dump Goodrow and grab a Chytil clone. That XXX above. Even if Kakko slots up, two Chytil's and a Rookie would be a SICK 3rd line.

TLDR: I see where your heart's at, but not where your head's at. I'll at least be constructive about it since I'm also an idiot that likes to type things. =)
I would like to bend over backward to thank this poster, with whom I have more often disagreed than agreed.
This ^ is the type of exchange that bern encourages --- a sincere competition of ideas.

@Kendo your reply deserves proper attention, not short shrift.
Crushed coupla days.
Back to you on this first chance.

peace out
lgr
HMD w'e to all
bern

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
He’s largely turning into wennberg. A response player of is a 99% pass guy 1st and foremost, not a threat to score unless the earth, moon, and Sun are in total alignment.
He’s def not an offensive driver of a line, he could/is still a good complementary bottom 6er….
But Berard and/or Othmann could bring the same if not better O for a fraction of the price come training camp.
Chmelar should be right on their heels, and sykora after him….
Kakko might absolutely be dealt at the draft if he doesn’t score the rest of the playoffs.
Berard and/or Othmann could bring the same 30+ points, but not the same defense/possession game. Kakko is an "Expected Stats" monster. He does all of the things that those models call for. If no one scores on his line for the rest of the playoffs, it doesn't matter quite as much if he doesn't. It would be nice if he did, obviously.

I think there's a spot for a rookie on the third line. Two spots if we don't get a Roslo replacement. Syky & Jaro right behind, but not immediately next season. Exciting depth in the organization regardless!

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Would anyone do kk & nyr 1 to lak for kaliyev and their 1st? Gives nyr a better shoot first guy while lak gets a more polished two way guy which is what they were looking for at the deadline.

Reactions: kinghock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad