Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
getting rid of Trouba and giving Fox the C cant happen soon enough. i wish they could do it today.

Reactions: mas0764

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
My plan for the offseason would be:

- Shipping out Trouba and Goodrow for futures, can take a depth d-man with a bit size back if needed.
- Resign Wennberg 2-3 years, Lindberg 4-5 year (very limited on trade protection here), Give Kappo a 1 year deal, or if he wants more explore a trade, resign Schneider for 8 years if possible.

Should ice something like this:

Kreider - Zinbadejad - Chytil
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Cuylle - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Edström - Rempe
Brodzinsky

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - UFA depth D-man on short deal
Robertson

Shestyorkin
Quick

Give Edström a chance to become a 4c, if it dont work after half a season look for a trade for a 4c, or use Chytil as 3c and Wennberg as 4c. Give Berard(Othman etc play time when injuries hit.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

- Shipping out Trouba and Goodrow for futures, can take a depth d-man with a bit size back if needed.
- Resign Wennberg 2-3 years, Lindberg 4-5 year (very limited on trade protection here), Give Kappo a 1 year deal, or if he wants more explore a trade, resign Schneider for 8 years if possible.

Vesey - Edström - Rempe
Brodzinsky

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Robertson

Shestyorkin
Quick

Give Edström a chance to become a 4c, if it dont work after half a season look for a trade for a 4c, or use Chytil as 3c and Wennberg as 4c. Give Berard(Othman etc play time when injuries hit.
Wennberg is to offense what Lindgren is to offense. No thanks.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

Vesey - Edström - Rempe
Brodzinsky

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Robertson

Shestyorkin
Quick

Who's Lindberg? Or are you using a different name for him like you did for our goalie who doesn't wear the name you listed on his jersey?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
And the notion that you're smarter than everyone in that room is equally ridiculous. Nobody said anything about "perfection" but I can certainly agree to disagree that someone like Cousins is equally valuable to a team in the playoffs as Goodrow is. Penalty killing anyone? 0-for the series-Carolina. It's not always about the cap hit.

Cheers.
You certainly can disagree that Cousins is equally valuable but you can and should do do without saying “well the team must be doing it right.”

Not necessarily. Make your argument on its merits.

People making arguments against what the team is doing isn’t being “smarter than everyone in the room.”

Teams are wrong all the time, even winning ones. It doesn’t mean you could do the whole job, but it doesn’t take a carpenter to know that when the roof leaks there is a problem.

And coincidentally most of the edge that NHL execs have is access, not extra intelligence.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The funny part with Trouba... how many times has he whiffed on a 'big hit attempt' as of late? he slowed down that much...
Got to assume he’s injured. And if so, he should be back to at least improve his value. If he’s not injured…then…oh boy.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
You certainly can disagree that Cousins is equally valuable but you can and should do do without saying “well the team must be doing it right.”

Not necessarily. Make your argument on its merits.

People making arguments against what the team is doing isn’t being “smarter than everyone in the room.”

Teams are wrong all the time, even winning ones. It doesn’t mean you could do the whole job, but it doesn’t take a carpenter to know that when the roof leaks there is a problem.

And coincidentally most of the edge that NHL execs have is access, not extra intelligence.

Everyone has suggestions. Some make sense. Some don't. Nobody, including you, have an infallible track record (how are your suggested trades for Kupari aging?).

My point stands about Goodrow vs. Cousins. I don't think they're even a comparable - particularly given Goodrow in these playoffs and playoffs past. Is he overpaid? Sure. Would I rather have Goodrow, right now, for 3.6M or whatever in the lineup or Cousins at 1.WhateverM in lineup? it's not a hard call.

NHL execs have access to many things that we don't - including their own analytics teams, scouts, decades of NHL experience, etc... Their advantage over some dude on a message board isn't particularly close.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
im not the biggest fan of trouba, but its quite obvious hes hurt....i know hes the board whipping boy at this point but hes playing through something
Everyone is playing through something right now. Fox is 100% playing through something.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Just saw Wheeler was in a non non-contact? jersey this morning. Have to think he's gonna play soon, especially with Chytil in limbo.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I’m like give Trocheck the c if trouba goes
I do agree that Trocheck would be a great C but his game has the potential to fall off a cliff. He will be 31 next season and his rugged play style typically doesn't age well. I honestly don't know how effective he will be in 2-3 years.

Fox could probably run with it but not sure he is "captain material".

Laf would probably be next on the list but I think he needs two strong seasons under his belt before he is considered. Tough to name a guy in his early 20s as C with the amount of vets in this lineup.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I do agree that Trocheck would be a great C but his game has the potential to fall off a cliff. He will be 31 next season and his rugged play style typically doesn't age well. I honestly don't know how effective he will be in 2-3 years.

Laf would probably be next on the list but I think he needs two strong seasons under his belt before he is considered. Tough to name a guy in his early 20s as C with the amount of vets in this lineup.

Trochek will age just fine. His cap hit is already at an average amount for a 2C and moving forward that will drop as the percentage of the cap allocated to him will drop as well. I'm expecting him to age like Oshie who is still an effective PIA

Reactions: noncents

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Trochek will age just fine. His cap hit is already at an average amount for a 2C and moving forward that will drop as the percentage of the cap allocated to him will drop as well. I'm expecting him to age like Oshie who is still an effective PIA
Oshie has played 44, 58, and 52 games the past 3 season. That is exactly what I mean. That is 40% of the regular season he has missed the past 3 years. Coincidentally he hasn't played more than 70 games since he turned 31

The cap hit I am more than ok with.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Kreider
should already be Cap'n

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL

Vesey - Edström - Rempe
Brodzinsky

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Robertson

Shestyorkin
Quick

I don't see the Rangers playing 2 low skill basketball players (Rempe and Edstrom) at the same time unless there are multiple injuries. I also think Berard is a realistic possibiliity to make the Rangers next year based on watching him in all the playoff games.

There's a need for a better depth forward than Brod because injuries happen.

I also don't think Robertson is quite there, at least not yet. I suspect if Trouba is traded, it's for a lower end D with less cap hit, but who is still overpaid. Maybe someone who gets $3M as a 6D - the other team gets a better player, we save $5M.

If the Rangers could shave Trouba and Goodrow off the cap without taking on any big hit (maybe by giving up picks), they could potentially sign a quality UFA like Bertuzzi.

Brad - Tro - Laf
Kreider - Zib - Bertuzzi
Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko
Berard - Edstrom - Vesey
Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - cheap UFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad