Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
fixed for ya

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buch
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lafreniere - Chytil - Kravtsov
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier

I'd rather see something like this:

Laf - Zibanejad - Kakko
Panarin- Strome - Kravtsov
Kreider - Chytil - Buch
Lemieux - Howden/Barron - Gautier

Chytil looked good with Kreids and Buch in his limited time last year. Ziba gives a calming presence in center ice for our two blue chip kids. Kravtsov has less pressure riding shotgun with Strome and Panarin. This season is going to be a learning experience for a bunch of young guys. I'd like to see lines that balance the kids and vets a bit more.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Laf - Zibanejad - Buch
Panarin- Strome - Kakko
Kreider - Chytil - Kratsov

With what we currently have

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Unless he has an extraordinary camp, Lafreniere won't be on the 1st line. Nor should he have those expectations coming out of the gate. Look @ Kakko, at 18, being the highest winger drafted last year and the rocky season he had. Lafreniere is the better talent but I'd ease off seeing him as a 1/1A wing to start the season.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I was refering to Tampa adding him.
LOL...and I was thinking out loud as to how they should have kept him in the fold after drafting him as a first rounder and he would have probably been cheaper than Shattenkirk and also better . He has that type of nastiness that could add that playoff edge that TB looks like they might not have that right mix of yet .

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Unless he has an extraordinary camp, Lafreniere won't be on the 1st line. Nor should he have those expectations coming out of the gate. Look @ Kakko, at 18, being the highest winger drafted last year and the rocky season he had. Lafreniere is the better talent but I'd ease off seeing him as a 1/1A wing to start the season.

I wouldn't just pencil him in, that's a valid point, but it's understatement of the year to say he's the better talent. Lafreniere's floor is pretty close to Kakko's ceiling.

Reactions: McSauer

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Personally, I will be happy if he starts on the third line and works his way into shifts on the second. For me, that's a very successful rookie season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I just want him to start in the spot he earns. If we're apprehensive about his game, don't force it. If he tears it up in camp, he belongs on the first line.

I don't wanna hear "kIDs GotTa PaY His duES." The best offensive player we've ever drafted is Derek Stepan. A spot in our lineup is not sacrosanct.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Serious question: what system do we play right now? I can't see one at all (which is the biggest problem with this coach--besides his man-love for Howden)...how would we evolve something that does not exist?

This! ^^^

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Everyone has Buch on their projected lineups as #1RW.
I like angry Buch but make it change..

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Serious question: what system do we play right now? I can't see one at all (which is the biggest problem with this coach--besides his man-love for Howden)...how would we evolve something that does not exist?
We don't. We skate up and down the ice playing human Chel.

It's AV except we try hard now.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Wrote a long post about Hanifin and lost it.

Not sure about expansion slots, so it may be a trade best explored after expansion or with expansion in mind.

He skates well--he's big at 6'3," and while he's 215 pounds, he still has space to add muscle. He's been playing 21 minutes per night with Calgary (up from ~18 with Carolina). His defense took a hit with Calgary, but his partner has predominantly been Hamonic (who is significantly worse without Hanifin). Paired with someone like Trouba his defense may rebound.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see Miller, Roberston, or Jones ready to jump into first-pairing minutes. Even with Hanifin in the fold, not the worst problem.

Hanifin - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - DeAngelo

That's a young defense with a lot of room for improvement. Hanifin's contract is about 5.8% of the cap. Staal's was about 8% at the time of signing, so it's lower when adjusted for cap percentage.

Everyone was talking about Edmundson, but Hanifin is younger, and I think he has greater upside.

$4.9 million would be pretty movable.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They aren't moving him now after that contract.
Big mistake IMO
No, move him to RW.

It's not like he's a sublime passer or a fantastic shooter where you want him in his spot.

He can be a nuisance along the boards and park in front from the other side.

Reactions: leetch99

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Kakko was pretty good at the end there and now he got a taste of what it takes to succeed in the NHL.
I see him following the same path as Svechnikov..

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I like Hanifin in theory, he's slightly better than Skjei and on a better contract. He's not the answer on the left but he'd be a decent stopgap.

That said my liking him mainly hinges on the price. In a swap for someone like Buchnevich, okay not as bad. As the main piece for someone like Tony, not so much

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'd rather see something like this:

Laf - Zibanejad - Kakko
Panarin- Strome - Kravtsov
Kreider - Chytil - Buch

Chytil looked good with Kreids and Buch in his limited time last year. Ziba gives a calming presence in center ice for our two blue chip kids. Kravtsov has less pressure riding shotgun with Strome and Panarin. This season is going to be a learning experience for a bunch of young guys. I'd like to see lines that balance the kids and vets a bit more.

I definitely wouldn't have Laf on the first line. Might be good to put younger players with more established ones. Depends how much we want to mix up the lines.

With Staal, Smith, and probably Lundqvist still on the books, I see this as a building year where we can get some of the growing pains out of the way. We had a lot of players make debuts this past year, so we'll see some guys take next steps and some slump. I think the window really opens 21-22. I'd like to have one or two real vets on the roster aside from Staal/Smith.

If we're talking about Matt Martin, I still think Trevor Lewis would be a useful guy to have around considering he can play all three forward positions and might even be cheaper.

If Fast is gone, we're really going to miss what he brings.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
No, move him to RW.

It's not like he's a sublime passer or a fantastic shooter where you want him in his spot.

He can be a nuisance along the boards and park in front from the other side.

Ohh gotcha.. But still IDK how I feel about that.
He's a lock for PP time in front of the net but he's just not consistent enough @ 5v5.

I know, crazy idea but if we shift him out of position, I'm still on board with trying him at #2C.

I think that move will wake his ass up plus he's decent on FO's and good defensively..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad