Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He had a hell of an opportunity in Vegas last season, didn’t exactly run off with it. I think we now know he’s a bottom-six C at best. Maybe just a 4C for a good team.

Lindberg was a kid who I really liked in Sweden and in the AHL, but he's never quite found his footing in the NHL.

At 27 years old, the clock is ticking loudly at this point.

Reactions: Trxjw

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Somehow they're going to kill Namestnikov's value here by playing him on the 4th line, and we'll get jack squat for him in a trade

They might as well just move him before the start of the season

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Maybe Beleskey was left out because they know he's been injured and the team just hasnt announced yet

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The various coaches and executives rated Lundqvist 21st. I know Hank slipped a little bit. 21st? 10 GM’s and coaches voted in the poll.

It’s odd to see Lundqvist so far down these rankings after finishing near the top just a couple years ago. But here we are.

“He’s as much bad as he is good,” said a head coach. “When he’s good, everyone makes such a big deal about it because it’s Lundqvist.”

Another panelist had just as much concern about the goaltending behind Lundqvist in the depth chart.

“They have no insurance for a guy who is older and always out for a period of time,” said the coach.

The Rangers backup situation isn’t great.

Lundqvist hasn’t missed that much time in his career.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I mean, his stats last year were pretty brutal. D being bad or not, numbers don't lie and people writing these articles certainly don't care how bad the team was in front of him.

18th in wins/ 41st in GAA min 20gp / 24th in SV% min 20gp / Tied for 24th in SO / 4th in GA

Not good. At all. I know he's the King to a lot of fans here, but his numbers sucked. The criticisms and ratings are pretty spot on.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Hopefully he sees this and he's harder on himself than he's ever been. Maybe it'll motivate him to push to another level.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

The various coaches and executives rated Lundqvist 21st. I know Hank slipped a little bit. 21st? 10 GM’s and coaches voted in the poll.

21 seems a bit low, even with Lundqvist's flaws becoming more apparent with age.

I also don't know if there's enough mention of how brutal the team in front of him was/is/will be.

How does a guy like Lundqvist look in Nashville, or San Jose? Probably right back in most people's top five.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Is the backup situation really even an issue?

The team wants to compete, but that doesn't/won't necessarily translate to winning

These panelists act like the team is competing for a title, and they need a great backup for insurance.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
“He’s as much bad as he is good,” said a head coach. “When he’s good, everyone makes such a big deal about it because it’s Lundqvist.

Sounds like a coach with an axe to grind.

Also, I'm very surprised to see a Custance article where a Ranger's player gets shit on. And by that I mean I'm not surprised at all.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I defended him a lot last season, and I still think he’s better than most give him credit for, but watching Vesey get outplayed by ~16 forwards is extremely disappointing.

Same. But I'm not ready to write-off Vesey because he was outplayed in preseason. The way the roster is shaping up right now he'd be on the 4th line. I'm not going to lose sleep or be exasperated with Vesey in that spot since he wouldn't be blocking anyone nor be detrimental via his cap cost. Same goes for Namestnikov on a 4th line and a risk of losing his trade value.

Chytil's and Andersson's development is the team's primary concern this season.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

Never mind that he's faced the most high danger chances in the entire f***ing league since 2015.

21st is very, very harsh. He's still a top 15 goalie in the game.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Before people suggest it, Zack Smith is on a sharp decline and has a pretty bad contract for the next 3 years relative to his play.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Lindberg was a kid who I really liked in Sweden and in the AHL, but he's never quite found his footing in the NHL.

At 27 years old, the clock is ticking loudly at this point.

I think his style of play would fit in here, but development of some of the assets already in the system i think is more important. Play the kids!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
5 GM's. 2 head coaches. 3 goalie coaches. That was the panel. They grade each starting goalie 1-5. 1 being the top grade.

They have Fleury 3rd.

Rinne is 7th.

Jones is 12th.

Dubnyk at 13.

Luongo at 15.

Crawford at 16.

Raanta at 17.

Jake Allen and Mike Smith are tied for 19th.

Lundqvist isn't better than most of those goalies?

Allen is horrible.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
GMs are dumb. How the f*** can Raanta be 17th? Guy has been outstanding every time he plays. And Hank is still in the top half of goalies at minimum, he was still above average in GSAA even on last seasons horrible team.

Reactions: Blue Blooded
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad