Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Pionk did not outplay DeAngelo.

Pionk honestly had a pretty rough game outside of the goal. He'll get a chance to redeem himself at least twice over the next 3.

who scored the OT goal? Pionk
who has zero points in 2 games? ADA
who took a dumb penalty? ADA
Who got a ton of PP time and had nothing to show for it? ADA
Who makes more defensive mistakes? ADA

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Except you can't put ADA back in the AHL without risking losing him for nothing. He's either on the big club or you explore trade options for a 6th or 7th because that's all that you'll get at this point if you're lucky.

That post was in regards to someone like Hajek outplaying Staal. I don't think DeAngelo has anything left to learn from playing in the AHL. He's been there for 3 years. Accounting for his development curve probably means keeping him up over Pionk if they absolutely have to make a choice. A tie goes to the 4th year pro. I think they'll both be on the roster though... but maybe not always in the lineup at the same time.

On the topic of Hajek... in 2010, Ryan McDonagh, by merit alone, deserved to be on the team as the 3LD after training camp. Instead, he went to the AHL for half a season and, when he came up, he was instantaneously the 2LD. That's because McDonagh had plenty of things he could learn in Hartford playing heavy minutes. He likely learned more playing those heavy minutes in the AHL than he would have playing light minutes in the NHL. There are benefits to sending a guy down who might be ready in the short-term for a lesser role in the NHL, but you're looking for more from him in the long-term. It's why I wouldn't be opposed to Chytil playing in Hartford to start the year, despite how awesome he's looking in these pre-season games.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
ADA is a rat. Definitely not soft. He likes to start shit.
I expect a 30 point, 120 pim season from him.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I also wonder if pionk could play in some sort of hybrid forward role. I think first pairing minutes in hartford would do him wonders but with the reemergence of smith and the way ada has been playing itll be hard for him to crack the lineup

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I also wonder if pionk could play in some sort of hybrid forward role. I think first pairing minutes in hartford would do him wonders but with the reemergence of smith and the way ada has been playing itll be hard for him to crack the lineup

no, maybe ADA should he is not that good defensively.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That post was in regards to someone like Hajek outplaying Staal. I don't think DeAngelo has anything left to learn from playing in the AHL. He's been there for 3 years. Accounting for his development curve probably means keeping him up over Pionk if they absolutely have to make a choice. A tie goes to the 4th year pro. I think they'll both be on the roster though... but maybe not always in the lineup at the same time.

On the topic of Hajek... in 2010, Ryan McDonagh, by merit alone, deserved to be on the team as the 3LD after training camp. Instead, he went to the AHL for half a season and, when he came up, he was instantaneously the 2LD. That's because McDonagh had plenty of things he could learn in Hartford playing heavy minutes. He likely learned more playing those heavy minutes in the AHL than he would have playing light minutes in the NHL. There are benefits to sending a guy down who might be ready in the short-term for a lesser role in the NHL, but you're looking for more from him in the long-term. It's why I wouldn't be opposed to Chytil playing in Hartford to start the year, despite how awesome he's looking in these pre-season games.

McDonagh did not have good camp in 2010. He was clearly not ready. Lets not rewrite history please.

Hajek may prove that to be the case over the next few games, but thus far he has probably been the best LHD at camp.

There is a legitimate point to be made for 1st pair minutes at the AHL over 3rd pair minutes at the NHL level though, that is an argument I can get behind.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Pionk vs ADA

latest

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

One of the best fights by a Rangers player/prospect last year was Tony DeAngelo vs. Kyle Burrough's. You can say a lot of things about Tony but one that wouldn't be true is he doesn't know how to defend himself. Now against someone like Wayne Simmonds (that was his one NHL fight last year) who is a lot taller and has very long arms he's at a real disadvantage but guys his own size he knows what he's doing and I don't know if I can say that for all that many of our guys.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
McDonagh did not have good camp in 2010. He was clearly not ready. Lets not rewrite history please.

Hajek may prove that to be the case over the next few games, but thus far he has probably been the best LHD at camp.

There is a legitimate point to be made for 1st pair minutes at the AHL over 3rd pair minutes at the NHL level though, that is an argument I can get behind.

I didn't say he had a good camp. I said he deserved a spot on merit alone. He deserved to be the 3LD, on that criteria, because he was competing with Gilroy and Eminger (both righties, ironically). None of them really had good camps, but I felt McDonagh outplayed his competition, as little as that said. They had Sauer playing the left side on occasion too. Eventually, they had McCabe, but by that point Del Zotto was hurt anyway and McDonagh had been up since the Roszival injury.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Jesus, the hot takes in the last couple of pages burned my god damn face off from reading them on my monitor.

I'm a fan of Pionk, but DeAngelo played better than him in the one game that they both played in so far this preseason.

The Rangers are going to carry 8 defensemen. Both will be with the big club.

Skjei
Shattenkirk
Pionk
DeAngelo
Smith
Staal
Claesson
McQuaid

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Jesus, the hot takes in the last couple of pages burned my god damn face off from reading them on my monitor.

I'm a fan of Pionk, but DeAngelo played better than him in the one game that they both played in so far this preseason.

The Rangers are going to carry 8 defensemen. Both will be with the big club.

Skjei
Shattenkirk
Pionk
DeAngelo
Smith
Staal
Claesson
McQuaid

being a healthy scratch for ADA or Pionk is not good for their development. Or do you think McQuaid will be a healthy scratch with Claesson?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
being a healthy scratch for ADA or Pionk is not good for their development. Or do you think McQuaid will be a healthy scratch with Claesson?
I think two of the three will play in any given game. Shattenkirk will play every game, but the 2RD and 3RD spots will be a revolving door. All three will play about 55 to 60 games barring injury.

Going to be something like

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk/DeAngelo
Smith-Pionk/DeAngelo/McQuaid

Claesson is the spare part that rotates in due to injury.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
McDonagh clearly had work to do on his game though. The pace of the NHL was way to fast for him during the pre season which was clear as day. Those are one of the instances where it makes sense to send him down (And I don't think he really out played either of those guys.) I mean I get what you're saying, but it's kind of disingenuous to compare what McDonagh did at camp vs what Hajek has done so far, McDonagh struggled, Hajek has not been perfect, but he's performed very well, whether or not that keeps up remains to be seen.

Then there is comparing current Staal to 2010 Eminger/Gilroy and the end game goals of that team compared to this one, but those are really different discussions entirely.

Hajek has clearly been better than the rest of the LD thus far (sans Smith of all people, who played well in his one game.) The speed of the game has not been an issue for him so far, that may change as he starts to play rosters that are a little bit more full (Though he more than held his own last night, albeit against a not so great Islander squad.) Now again if its a difference between playing 22+ minutes in the A vs 12-14 minutes at the NHL level then yeah, send him down but I'd rather see him get 18ish minutes at the NHL level than sent down to the A if the coaches are willing to do that and the pace of the play doesn't get to be too overwhelming - most of the issues he'll have if he can keep up are going to be things that can be fixed with experience, I'd rather have our staff up here helping him through those things than the people down in Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad