Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I mean, sure we have more potential, but like look at STL. 31st in the league halfway into the season. There are so small marginals between success and failure. Especially if you have pressure on you. Teams that had a lot of turnover of personnel can — never — be safe.

They don't have better potential. They have better personnel.

It guarantees nothing, but I think better personnel is of paramount importance.

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
A part of me wants Zibs and Panarin playing together. The other part wants Kakko and Zibs. I don't think all 3 will be playing together unless we need a goal late.

Kreider Zibs Kakko
Panarin Howden/Strome Kravtsov/Chytil
Lemiuex Howden/Strome Chytil/Kravtsov
Boo Lias Fast

Reactions: Mikos87

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
A part of me wants Zibs and Panarin playing together. The other part wants Kakko and Zibs. I don't think all 3 will be playing together unless we need a goal late.

Kreider Zibs Kakko
Panarin Howden/Strome Kravtsov/Chytil
Lemiuex Howden/Strome Chytil/Kravtsov
Boo Lias Fast

I think Bread and Howden might make for a very surprisingly effective pair.

Bread has had a lot of success with a left shot option in the middle with size and reach.

Howden and Anisimov

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think Bread and Howden might make for a very surprisingly effective pair.

Bread has had a lot of success with a left shot option in the middle with size and reach.

Howden and Anisimov
I’d try Chytil with Panarin before Howden.

Howden doesn’t have the skill IMO to be the most effective center for Panarin. He’s best suited as a 3rd line banger who plays in straight lines. He looked at his best last year with Vesey and Fast. Those are the types of guys he should be with. I could just see endless times of Howden being too slow to react or not being in the right place to finish a creative Panarin play.

I think Panarin-Mika-Kakko is the line they should try to start.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’d try Chytil with Panarin before Howden.

Howden doesn’t have the skill IMO to be the most effective center for Panarin. He’s best suited as a 3rd line banger who plays in straight lines. He looked at his best last year with Vesey and Fast. Those are the types of guys he should be with. I could just see endless times of Howden being too slow to react or not being in the right place to finish a creative Panarin play.

I think Panarin-Mika-Kakko is the line they should try to start.

Howden with Lias and Lemieux needs to happen.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
The issue isn't with Kreider for this year, its the years after if you're committed to keeping him.

If you aren't, holding onto him is a massive risk. What if he gets hurt? He could just as easily pull a Zuccarello and suck for most of the season as he is to pull a Hayes, who for sure boosted his value by staying for a few extra months.

The 2017 Yankees had unknowns/unprovens, but they had unknowns who ended up turning into stars right away, including a rookie who broke records and was robbed of an MVP. We can't expect that to happen here.

It's still going to take time. Committing 11.6 to Panarin is already a massive risk in itself regardless of where they're at in the process (its a ton of money) but even more so when you consider the rest of the roster. Committing 7+ or there about for Kreider would pretty much be a poison pill contract. Unless hes willing to take a hit on term AND dollars, he shouldn't see opening night.

I think if he doesn't see opening night, it's one step back. He would be an important part of the playoff puzzle for this season, more so than Buchnevich (I think). It's very risky for both sides, but I think people are looking at this like this is Ryan Callahan again. Kreider and Callahan are not the same player.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Dairy Queen straight up said that Panarin will be playing alongside Zibby

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They don't have better potential. They have better personnel.

It guarantees nothing, but I think better personnel is of paramount importance.

Yeah, but also (i) more turnover/new personnel and (ii) much higher pressure.

So sure, our peaks will be a lot higher. But to do well over 82 games you must run a pretty cynical organization and make sure that you are hard to beat and not give anyway away for free. Our division will definitely be pretty tough.

Like for example, we will be reliant on our top line to score a lot of pts, especially if both Ziba and Panarin is on it. But what if Panarin and Ziba just tries to overcomplicate things and tries to find each other too much early on? I am not sure if they are great fits, these things aren’t easy, it’s like BR and Gabby, they never worked together at all. That can hurt us a lot the first 2-3 weeks of a season. And on the other side we will face very determined teams that won’t give an inch away. Teams that doesn’t have 7-8 new players or whatever. And doesn’t have a bunch of players younger than 21. And so forth.

Knowing the N.Y. media and fans, there will also be a ton of pressure on the team now that the rebuild is over. 2 weeks, bad results, someone will be hanged.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Personally I think your gonna see

Panarin-Mika-buch to start with. Think they will let kakko get used to the nhl game before pitting him against the NHLs tops

Thinks he starts on the 3rd or 2nd.

Kravtsov plays RW primarily? If so I actually see him starting on the 2nd line above kakko to start

Sign buch to 3/4 deal. Play him on the top line, hopefully kakko/kravs are ready to bump up and then you either got buchnevich back in the 3hole or your trading him with term left after hopefully putting up big numbers playing with bread/Mika

My biggest question is who’s playing 2c and subsequently, who then playing 3c

AND

Where are chytil and andersson playing?

I see too many wingers and guys pegged to end up on the wing this year on the roster

And aside from the studs, I see quality support players (fast, names, Strome) and young players pegged for the wing (chytil, andersson) combo of things make for odd fits line wise.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think you need to let some of these guys try their hand at center and try to grow into it. Chytil and Andersson are "pegged" as wingers because they're super young and playing C is harder to do out of the gate so sure they looked better on the wing at times. But...they know how to play center. At least give them a legitimate shot instead of hand wringing over a few games when tehy were 18-19 years old

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah, but also (i) more turnover/new personnel and (ii) much higher pressure.

So sure, our peaks will be a lot higher. But to do well over 82 games you must run a pretty cynical organization and make sure that you are hard to beat and not give anyway away for free. Our division will definitely be pretty tough.

Like for example, we will be reliant on our top line to score a lot of pts, especially if both Ziba and Panarin is on it. But what if Panarin and Ziba just tries to overcomplicate things and tries to find each other too much early on? I am not sure if they are great fits, these things aren’t easy, it’s like BR and Gabby, they never worked together at all. That can hurt us a lot the first 2-3 weeks of a season. And on the other side we will face very determined teams that won’t give an inch away. Teams that doesn’t have 7-8 new players or whatever. And doesn’t have a bunch of players younger than 21. And so forth.

Knowing the N.Y. media and fans, there will also be a ton of pressure on the team now that the rebuild is over. 2 weeks, bad results, someone will be hanged.

Actually, Gaborik and Richards were fine together once Hagelin was put with them. They were two of the top five scorers in the league in the timeframe when that line was together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad