Value of: Ross Colton

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
With Seravalli speculating the Avs might be interested in moving on from Colton, I think it would be interesting to see what the best offer is for him.

Colton is an offensive 3C who has some grit and great playoff experience. He’s 27 and has 3 more years at $4m.

Coming off his best offensive season (17g+23a in 80 games) what is the best offer for Colton?

The Avs would be looking for cap space and/or a replacement 3c that is more affordable.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
With Seravalli speculating the Avs might be interested in moving on from Colton, I think it would be interesting to see what the best offer is for him.

Colton is an offensive 3C who has some grit and great playoff experience. He’s 27 and has 3 more years at $4m.

Coming off his best offensive season (17g+23a in 80 games) what is the best offer for Colton?

The Avs would be looking for cap space and/or a replacement 3c that is more affordable.
Mathieu Joseph and a mid round pick?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Why is Colorado interested in moving him? Is it simply for cap reasons?

My understanding is that cap is the major concern. It sounds like they want to bring Drouin back and with Nichuskin’s future up in the air it’s pretty difficult to make all parts work.

I think when they signed him they hoped that him and RyJo would be able to solve the 2C/3C problem for $8m. Once they traded for Mitts (who is due for a raise) it made keeping Colton and Drouin more difficult.

Reactions: shadow1

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Why is Colorado interested in moving him? Is it simply for cap reasons?
Yeah, cap. Landeskog is apparently set to return for 2024 with his 7 million on the books, which is a huge question mark...and then Nishushkin has truly f-ed the team with his suspension. There are apparently no grounds for terminating his contract and his suspension without pay will end in November. That means, barring finding a way to get rid of him, the Avs have to keep space this offseason for Nuke's 6.1 million salary to return to their cap before Christmas. And even if the Avs do get rid of Nuke, if they want to keep Drouin (and apparently they do) then they realistically need to move out some money.

Personally, I don't think moving Colton is the answer -- the Avs instantly need a #3 centre replacement if they move him, and he's a very flexible middle six player at both centre and wing -- but maybe he could fetch a decent-ish return of futures. The Avs moved the 37th overall pick for him; I have to think his value is at least the same now.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If I were the devils, I'd honestly go get him. If you have to marginally overpay, whatever. His starting point isn't going to be high enough that an "overpay" is going to be that impactful.

But I'd plop him on Jack's wing and let's see if he makes a nice jump in production, but he's a great fit for what they may want for Jack. Physical, will win board battles, will get grumpy on opponents. Can take faceoffs. Jack is always going to control the play when he's out there so I don't mind trying a guy like Colton with him

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
If I were the devils, I'd honestly go get him. If you have to marginally overpay, whatever. His starting point isn't going to be high enough that an "overpay" is going to be that impactful.

But I'd plop him on Jack's wing and let's see if he makes a nice jump in production, but he's a great fit for what they may want for Jack. Physical, will win board battles, will get grumpy on opponents. Can take faceoffs. Jack is always going to control the play when he's out there so I don't mind trying a guy like Colton with him

I guess the question becomes, what would you consider a slight overpay?

Right now there are values of 2nd+Krebs, 2nd+Bordeleau, Joseph+mid round pick. I would say that suggest that based on offers that value is floating around an earlier 2nd+3rd.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

Right now there are values of 2nd+Krebs, 2nd+Bordeleau, Joseph+mid round pick. I would say that suggest that based on offers that value is floating around an earlier 2nd+3rd.
Bordeleau and a 2nd would absolutely pique my interest.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Ross the Boss is slightly overpaid like most guys that have won a cup. He can score goals and it would be interesting to have a team put him on a line with more talented scorers. Honestly I think he could be 65 to 70 point guy. On a 2nd line but 3 and 4 line is where he has spent his time due to the teams he has played on.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

My first offer was a second + third so that's kind of my inkling of where the value is at too. The devils don't have a ton of draft capital, of course (They have two seconds next year and two thirds this year which is why I offered that initially) so it would probably come by way of a prospect or existing roster player. I don't know enough about the Avs pipeline to really know where that would be.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ross the Boss is slightly overpaid like most guys that have won a cup. He can score goals and it would be interesting to have a team put him on a line with more talented scorers. Honestly I think he could be 65 to 70 point guy. On a 2nd line but 3 and 4 line is where he has spent his time due to the teams he has played on.
Ehhhh, I think those thoughts pretty much died this year. He spent a lot of time as the Avs 2C and didn't ever really get the production to go along with it.

He pretty much is what he is at this point. Solid 3rd liner who can play physical, score goals at a 2nd line pace, but isn't reliable defensively. FWIW at $4M, not overpaid at all, pretty much paid exactly what he should be for what he brings.

I think wherever he goes(And I still doubt Colorado actually trades him btw), they should play him back at LW. That's where he's most efficient and can create the most havoc on his line.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Sharks offer Thomas Bordeleau and our 2025 2nd for Colton.

This definitely would be leading the pack for me.

My first offer was a second + third so that's kind of my inkling of where the value is at too. The devils don't have a ton of draft capital, of course (They have two seconds next year and two thirds this year which is why I offered that initially) so it would probably come by way of a prospect or existing roster player. I don't know enough about the Avs pipeline to really know where that would be.

Avs pipeline is thin. They have a hopeful solid center prospect in Cal Ritchie (had a good year after being a first rounder last year). We then have two solid LHD prospects in Behrens and Gulayev. Essentially nothing after that unless Foudy or Ivan Ivan turn into something. No faith if Olausson bring anything other than a prospect swap.

So to answer your question, Avs need cheap depth everywhere.

Reactions: Hodge

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
This definitely would be leading the pack for me.
Doesn't make sense for the Avs to move Colton for futures unless they flip those to get another 3C. Basically they just need a cheaper 3C if they are moving Colton - they don't have anyone else in the lineup.

I'm not a big Bordeleau fan and I don't think Ritchie is ready. Only return from NJ likely centers around Haula, and NJ can decide whether they want to put Colton or Mercer at 3C.

It's a tough trade because he should just be a winger, but the Avs have too many wingers, and if they move him they open up a huge hole in the lineup, and if they go cheaper they likely sacrifice quality.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Doesn't make sense for the Avs to move Colton for futures unless they flip those to get another 3C. Basically they just need a cheaper 3C if they are moving Colton - they don't have anyone else in the lineup.

I'm not a big Bordeleau fan and I don't think Ritchie is ready. Only return from NJ likely centers around Haula, and NJ can decide whether they want to put Colton or Mercer at 3C.

It's a tough trade because he should just be a winger, but the Avs have too many wingers, and if they move him they open up a huge hole in the lineup, and if they go cheaper they likely sacrifice quality.
Or the Avs could trade Colton for futures now then draw from their pool of futures at the deadline to acquire a premium 3C instead of settling for Haula.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad