GDT: Rookie Games #1 & 2 | Flyers vs Rangers | September 13/14 | 7:05 PM, 5:05 PM | PPL Center, Allentown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's hard to judge in games like this, but generally the stiffs looked like stiffs, the AHL players looked pretty good for the most part but none stood out, and Luchanko and Gill flashed but also struggled at times, not surprising given they both just turned 18 in a game where most players were 21-24.

Grans - didn't see any improvement over last year, think they're running out of patience

Andrae - looked a little tired early but had a strong 3rd period, is stronger and made some nice plays.

Tuomaala - flashed, he's got speed, can shoot, but disappears for stretches, the talent is there but this is why there's an AHL, he needs to refine his game.

Gendron - he's quick, shoots (from the Tippett school), needs to look more to pass, but his biggest problem is he needs a year or two to get stronger, got bounced around in both games.

McDonald - has a good wrist shot, made a nice pass for a goal, up and down a little, probably needs a year in the AHL, but you can see why they like him.

Mann - he's a big boi, but he's actually not a stiff, put up 7-6 13 last season and his goal was legitimate. He probably needs a couple AHL seasons after the CHL this year. To reach the NHL he'll have to skate just well enough and understand positioning to use his size and length effectively.

Rizzo - I was a little disappointed, made some plays but was MIA for stretches - but to be fair, wasn't playing with wings who could take advantage of his playmaking skills.

Avon - think Poehling, speed but limited offensive skills, has a decent wrist shot but his future is on a checking line. Uses that speed to make things happen, and has filled out to 200 lbs.

Gill - you can see why they like him, held his own, has a ways to go, has to fill out that frame (6'4 185 but August B-day) but he can skate, not bad with the puck, long reach. Check back in 3 years when he's 210 lbs to see if he adds/loses speed and polishes his offensive skill set.

Luchanko - raw, but again made some nice passes but also struggled at times. Which is what you'd expect given his age and lack of experience.

Sulku - did he play? Big boy but rarely heard his name called

Bjarnason - only played 1st period, but looked better, rebound control much better. You can see why they're high onhim.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The stream wasn't actually that bad. And some NHL teams didn't have any at all. We at least can watch 1st Michkov's goal as a Flyer, and Celebrini's fans can't watch his goal at all... Alright they can, but it looks like this

If you can give your fans the best possible streaming experience for your best prospect in like 30+years first game in a Flyers uniform..you do it no questions asked. I’m sure “the expense” of a well set up stream can be recouped within a matter of hours via merch sales.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you can give your fans the best possible streaming experience for your best prospect in like 30+years first game in a Flyers uniform..you do it no questions asked. I’m sure “the expense” of a well set up stream can be recouped within a matter of hours via merch sales.
Given its their AHL franchise, where the stadium should be set up for TV production, how hard would it have been to have a professional production?

Reactions: BernieParent

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Please, someone hire a translator, the Michkov interview translated by Zamula was abysmal; in some cases Egor did not say the most important parts; in some mistranslated the gist of what Matvei said.

What were the important parts?

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
What were the important parts?

I might have exaggerated, now when listening for the second time; and shamelessly edited my post above. When you go word by word it doesn't feel THAT bad anymore. Anyway, here's the transcript by me, myself and I

Media: Pretty exciting to get your first goal in O&B, you were getting involved all over the ice; how overall did this game feel for you?
Egor (in Russian): How do you feel about scoring the first goal for O&B, how can you evaluate your performance now that the team has seen you on both wings, what can you say about that?
Matvei (in Russian): Amazing emotions, always nice to score a goal; today we played as one team.
Egor: Such a nice feeling to score my first goal, it's very good feeling when you score goals.
Matvei adds in Russian: Sad that we lost, but we'll put the work in so that we win every game.
Egor: Not happy about the loss today, but every game we will be better.

Media: Did you feel more comfortable as the game went along, like, in the third period when you were getting more creative and playing with the puck a little bit more.
Egor (in Russian): How did you feel in the third when you were playing a lot more and had more chances
Matvei (in Russian): Nice to be trusted, I put all my max on each shift and did everything to meet the expectations of coaches.
Egor: He is happy on third period, because he started playing more and more and when you have a lot of ice time, you start playing better.

Media: It seemed like Ian Laperriere really wanted to double shift you in the third period, how much do you embrace big minutes, but also the hard minutes late in the game?
Egor (in Russian): Coach double shifted you in the third period, both on the left and the right, what will you say, was it tough for you or not?
Matvei (in Russian): I think in general today's game was tough, because there hasn't been game mode for a while, just practices, but with each game we will strive to just add to our performance and go only forward.
Egor: Long time we did not play hockey, so each game we will play better for sure, he liked playing in both sides and he is happy about his game today.

Media: Was your mom and brother in attendance today? Did they watch the game?
Egor (in Russian): Were mom and brother here today or not?
Matvei (in Russian): Yes, mom and brother were here at the game, I am very happy they're here; I want to dedicate this goal to my family, regardless of what kind of goal it was (as in - despite how classy or not classy the goal might have been)
Egor: Mom and brother is here watching the game upstairs, so he is happy because family saw first goal and this is goal for my family.

Media: It seemed like a lot of emotion on that first goal
Egor (in Russian): Seemed very emotional when you scored the first goal, was a good celebration
Matvei (in English): Thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad