Rookie Camp/Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If McDonald can skate and make a consistent exit pass, being that size has a lot of value, you're not going to bull rush him into his goalie, and he's going to win board battles on a regular basis.

Of course, if you can't skate and don't have rudimentary puck handling skills, it just makes you a bigger traffic cone.

Reactions: captainpaxil

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only thing that might prevent Michkov from winning the Calder Trophy is Tortorella. I can see Torts stepping in and telling him to tone down his game and focus on his defensive play or be benched. We know how that will go. DB is going to need to protect this kid.
Nah. Torts might bench him if he doesn't back check, but I suspect he's already dealt with that in the KHL. Otherwise Torts lets his top offensive players do their thing (see TK last season).

Same with the Michigan, Torts will smile if Michkov does it, but crack down if anyone else tries.
Why? Because Michkov is an elite talent, they're not.

Torts doesn't want someone like Tippett, who should be working to perfect his shot mechanics, screwing around with trick plays.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014

Greasy play by Michkov in a practice. Watch where he puts his stick at McDonald's skate and then it appears he pulls McDonald's skate out from under him causing McDonald to fall somewhat dangerously backwards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Greasy play by Michkov in a practice. Watch where he puts his stick at McDonald's skate and then it appears he pulls McDonald's skate out from under him causing McDonald to fall somewhat dangerously backwards.
Dirty play? No wonder they drafted him, elite scorer with a nasty 'tude!

• Love
Reactions: captainpaxil

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nah. Torts might bench him if he doesn't back check, but I suspect he's already dealt with that in the KHL. Otherwise Torts lets his top offensive players do their thing (see TK last season).

Same with the Michigan, Torts will smile if Michkov does it, but crack down if anyone else tries.

Torts doesn't want someone like Tippett, who should be working to perfect his shot mechanics, screwing around with trick plays.

Only as long as it's safe. No cross ice passing. Hard limits on quality of shots generated as a result.

You are the only one who thinks Tortorella is an offensive guru. Tortorella himself would be gobsmacked that anyone thinks so highly of his offensive theories.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Zegras is a top talent and Torts lost his ever loving mind about him doing one and he wasn't even Zegras' coach.

I can't see him allowing his player to do it.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Also for anyone unfamiliar with Voorhees/FTC - the rink without the retired Flyers numbers is historically what we call the "Phantoms side" (walk in and go right). That sheet of ice has been blocked off all summer as they replaced the entire ice, put new boards in...I haven't skated on it, but it looks soooo goooood.

Additionally, when you walk in - you used to go right to the pro shop....I believe the Flyers are making a humongous pro shop basically right when you walk in the main doors. I saw the renderings in May-ish, looks amazing. I'm guessing it will be a rival to the team shop + hockey wise, to Pure Hockey.

I'm pretty sure that Comcast also took where the Philadelphia Wings were practicing (no idea where the Wings went) - and made it into a smaller sheet for like 4v4 or 3v3, aka similar to the Futures rink at Hollydell. Apparently this will be where like public skate and all of that is...Side note - i've never actually seen this. I don't know if this is true but like 20 people have told me this lol.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Only as long as it's safe. No cross ice passing. Hard limits on quality of shots generated as a result.

You are the only one who thinks Tortorella is an offensive guru. Tortorella himself would be gobsmacked that anyone thinks so highly of his offensive theories.
That was with Allison, who was a limited player who made a number of bad cross ice passes.

It's a trust issue, some players are smart enough to know when to take risks, with others: "a man has got to know his limitations."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That was with Allison, who was a limited player who made a number of bad cross ice passes.

It's a trust issue, some players are smart enough to know when to take risks, with others: "a man has got to know his limitations."

No, that's with the entire team. Watch them.

This is how Tortorella teams always work. It was predicted. It's happening.

Reactions: renberg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Glad to read Desnoyers looked faster. First thing I noticed about him last camp was he looked too slow -- my guess was he put on too much weight, but it could have been an injury.

If McDonald can skate and make a consistent exit pass, being that size has a lot of value, you're not going to bull rush him into his goalie, and he's going to win board battles on a regular basis.

Of course, if you can't skate and don't have rudimentary puck handling skills, it just makes you a bigger traffic cone.
McDonald seems like a good skater with good defensive IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad