Rookie Camp/Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Flyers rookies start off training camp season this upcoming week, though you wouldn't know it from the flyers own website.
The Athletic has it though: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5742888/2024/09/04/flyers-training-camp-kolosov-michkov/

"There’s obviously no doubt that Michkov will begin the season on the Flyers’ NHL roster. But he’ll also take part in rookie camp, which is set to kick off on Sep. 12 at the Flyers’ training facility in Voorhees, N.J.

The Flyers’ rookies will also play two games against the New York Rangers’ rookies at the PPL Center in Allentown on Sep. 13 and 14. There haven’t been any final decisions made yet, but it’s likely Michkov will play in one of them. Expect Michkov to play in the majority of the Flyers’ seven preseason games, too."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flyers rookies start off training camp season this upcoming week, though you wouldn't know it from the flyers own website.
The Athletic has it though: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5742888/2024/09/04/flyers-training-camp-kolosov-michkov/

"There’s obviously no doubt that Michkov will begin the season on the Flyers’ NHL roster. But he’ll also take part in rookie camp, which is set to kick off on Sep. 12 at the Flyers’ training facility in Voorhees, N.J.

The Flyers’ rookies will also play two games against the New York Rangers’ rookies at the PPL Center in Allentown on Sep. 13 and 14. There haven’t been any final decisions made yet, but it’s likely Michkov will play in one of them. Expect Michkov to play in the majority of the Flyers’ seven preseason games, too."

The Flyers' website has even less attention to detail than Briere/Jones/Flahr/Hanrahan demonstrate. You basically learn nothing from that place.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I just want to see the rosters, some years they just reprint the draft day numbers, but a few years they've posted realistic heights and weights.

I mean do you still think Sanheim is 181 lbs? (2023 roster).

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

phillyjawn

Sep 5, 2024
I just want to see the rosters, some years they just reprint the draft day numbers, but a few years they've posted realistic heights and weights.

I mean do you still think Sanheim is 181 lbs? (2023 roster).
no real shit I just want to see who's all playing.

like let us speculate prospect lines i beg.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rookie camp is mostly about seeing guys you won't see for another year (unless you're a crazy fanatic with no life who scours obscure videos of low level leagues).

Training camp is where you get to see "real prospects" against actual NHL (and AHL) players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Rookie camp is mostly about seeing guys you won't see for another year (unless you're a crazy fanatic with no life who scours obscure videos of low level leagues).

Training camp is where you get to see "real prospects" against actual NHL (and AHL) players.

Training camp is practice. It has no value.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Training camp is practice. It has no value.
Of course it has value.
Ask Howie!

It's not the be and end all, but you can't determine if a player is NHL ready off performance at lower levels (unless we're talking elite talent like Michkov).

Seeing them play against NHL talent gives you a better feel, and allows you to put that lower level performance into context.

Especially players coming out of the CHL or college.
Coming out of the SHL/KHL, you have a better gauge of NHL readiness, but want to see how they look playing NA hockey in NA rinks.
AHL players are actually at a disadvantage making the team out of TC, b/c you can stash and watch them while you evaluate other players, then bring them up in a month.

And no, it's not about scoring a meaningless goal in an exhibition game, it's about skating, passing, vision, positioning, etc. which you can get a feel for in exhibition games.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
NFL preseason is over a month long. NHL preseason is literally two weeks where they break camp for preseason games 3 days in. Not to mention NFL teams have a lot more flexibility with contracts and rosters that are twice the size.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Of course it has value.
Ask Howie!

It's not the be and end all, but you can't determine if a player is NHL ready off performance at lower levels (unless we're talking elite talent like Michkov).

Seeing them play against NHL talent gives you a better feel, and allows you to put that lower level performance into context.

Especially players coming out of the CHL or college.
Coming out of the SHL/KHL, you have a better gauge of NHL readiness, but want to see how they look playing NA hockey in NA rinks.
AHL players are actually at a disadvantage making the team out of TC, b/c you can stash and watch them while you evaluate other players, then bring them up in a month.

And no, it's not about scoring a meaningless goal in an exhibition game, it's about skating, passing, vision, positioning, etc. which you can get a feel for in exhibition games.

You're not going to figure out if a player is NHL ready based on practice.

Every year you and the Flyers make grand proclamations about players based on camp and preseason, and every year they end up being wrong.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I'm not even excited for him given that everything else about the franchise has achieved room temperature.
This is where I am at. Regardless of how good the kid is it's not going to move the needle for me. I have no interest in rewatching the last 12 years with MM playing the role of Giroux.

Hard to get excited when you can see nothing has changed.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
This is where I am at. Regardless of how good the kid is it's not going to move the needle for me. I have no interest in rewatching the last 12 years with MM playing the role of Giroux.

hopefully MM is smart enuf not to waste his career away in the Flyers Org. going nowere

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Preach it sir.

I don’t know how excited Buffalo fans were when they landed Eichel, but I imagine we are in a similar spot.

I was excited to land him, but now? I dunno. Don’t think he plays the good soldier that Giroux did either. Which is one fault I do hold against Claude.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some measurements:
Avon 6'1 201
Rizzo 5'11 188
Bonk 6'2 194
Gill 6'4 189
McDonald 6'4 235
Sotheran 6'3 200

The only interesting UDFA signing is Sam Sedley.

Many at the Philadelphia Flyers’ development camp last year loved what Sedley brought to the table. While he doesn’t score a ton, he has skill to burn with the puck. He’s so clever, using a high level of deceptiveness to beat players in 1-on-1 situations. He’s a play starter, often controlling the pace with the puck on his stick. With the Attack, Sedley is a big piece of the team’s power play, using the open space to trick opponents into a false sense of security before making a pass. His skating needs to improve, but he’s an all-around solid late-bloomer who should draw some serious attention in the coming weeks.

His coaches and manager call him a luxury, a puck savant, a one-man breakout and one of the best power-play quarterbacks in the Ontario Hockey League. The people partly responsible for Sedley’s development from an underweight 15-year-old to one of the best overage players in the most competitive development league in the world can’t say enough good things, even while questions about the defensive side of his game continue to buzz around him.

Reactions: captainpaxil

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a thin group, downside of drafting NCAA and foreign players.
Sulku is in camp, does that mean he's joining LHV this season?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Some measurements:
Avon 6'1 201
Rizzo 5'11 188
Bonk 6'2 194
Gill 6'4 189
McDonald 6'4 235
Sotheran 6'3 200

Many at the Philadelphia Flyers’ development camp last year loved what Sedley brought to the table. While he doesn’t score a ton, he has skill to burn with the puck. He’s so clever, using a high level of deceptiveness to beat players in 1-on-1 situations. He’s a play starter, often controlling the pace with the puck on his stick. With the Attack, Sedley is a big piece of the team’s power play, using the open space to trick opponents into a false sense of security before making a pass. His skating needs to improve, but he’s an all-around solid late-bloomer who should draw some serious attention in the coming weeks.

His coaches and manager call him a luxury, a puck savant, a one-man breakout and one of the best power-play quarterbacks in the Ontario Hockey League. The people partly responsible for Sedley’s development from an underweight 15-year-old to one of the best overage players in the most competitive development league in the world can’t say enough good things, even while questions about the defensive side of his game continue to buzz around him.

So .... hooked on size I see

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Some measurements:
Avon 6'1 201
Rizzo 5'11 188
Bonk 6'2 194
Gill 6'4 189
McDonald 6'4 235
Sotheran 6'3 200

Is Sedley the new Unicorn?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad