Post-Game Talk: Rongos @ Flames

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
When he had 3 injuries to deal with, it would slow anyone down. Everytime he came back and get into a groove he would get hurt again, just fluke injuries I don't see happening in the future. He has 13 points (6 G , 7 A) in the last 17 games. So to say his last 20 games were solid is very acurate. But it also was the longest stretch between his last injury.

dogged this season? Please see above.

Thanks for your observation. Nice to see I have a stalker. :sarcasm:

Well first of all, the guy is injury prone, him getting hurt a lot is not a feather in his cap. Second, he wasn't scoring, fine, but he wasn't providing energy either. He wasn't even playing good defense. I still remember that 3rd goal we gave up late in the game against Pittsburgh because of him.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
JT Miller got benched in the 3rd period last night. Why exactly? What has he done/not done that he deserves to be benched and Martin St. Louis deserves continued first line minutes? I mean, really. MSL is contributing nothing. The Stepan line is clearly worse off without Kreider and with MSL, a 3rd perimeter player. I would put Puoliot up there instead. Having a guy that goes to the net opens it up for Step and Nash. Nash is a perimeter pansy. That line cannot afford another one.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Only saw the brief highlights on NHL.com. Was the defense so porous all night? The highlight reel looked like a montage of Giordano being wide open in the slot. Yikes.

That Cammalleri goal :facepalm: all around. Hard to get on Hank for that one after his performances of late, but that's as bad as bad gets.

Hey, Marty, you alive?

Only on the goals, which indicates that calgary knew how to back mcdonough and Girardi down towards the middle slot, which gave Calgary tons of shooting room...

Hank should have stopped that 4th goal, and quite frankly, it definitely would have been a good idea to play Talbot Yesterday, and Hank tomorrow against EDM (EDM has the better forwards, we'll need Hank in net, but he's going to be tired)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Only on the goals, which indicates that calgary knew how to back mcdonough and Girardi down towards the middle slot, which gave Calgary tons of shooting room...

Hank should have stopped that 4th goal, and quite frankly, it definitely would have been a good idea to play Talbot Yesterday, and Hank tomorrow against EDM (EDM has the better forwards, we'll need Hank in net, but he's going to be tired)

I noticed this. They were backing up the D and getting to the slot easily. Reminds me of what the Islanders did. What exactly was the problem? That's not how the Rangers usually play defense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone else feel like McDonagh-Girardi tend to not play their best when the other team doesn't have a superstar player to focus on?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not that I am okay with losing in general, but I feel like one loss after a 5 game win streak isn't a huge deal. Don't want two in a row, but I can accept last night.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW that Calgary game was the definition of a trap game. I can see any team in the league losing a game on the road in a long road trip coming off an emotional win against a team that not only has nothing to lose but has been playing well. Perfect trap game. Considering that we still played pretty well, I'm not too upset. Though I'm disappointed in Hank and the D mostly for the 2nd period. This wasn't that 3 game stretch where we were getting outplayed and looked like a different team. This loss wasn't nearly as discouraging at that Carolina loss. Now, hopefully they go back to basics. They play Edmonton like they did in periods 2 and 3 against Philly and Phoenix and they get an easy win unless Scrivens stands on his head or Talbot/Hank throw in a stinker.

Wolfy*

They thought it would be easy to put out some dying flames, but couldn't, and got their ***** burned. Don't do the same mistake against the Oilers.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Give your guy a rest. Start Talbot tomorrow night

Play Talbot against the Sabres in April after we likely have a playoff position (hopefully).

Outside of that one game, its Henrik's show for the remainder of the season and the post season.

That said, if Henrik truly is fatigued, a game against the Oilers would be the perfect game to play Talbot (Talbot could have started this game, how many games has Lundqvist played this year with preseason, nhl season and olympics? 65-70?).

Cannot assume it will be an easy game though. I dont care where the Oilers are in the standings, they are still playing to win and be spoiler. There are no easy nights, as much as our fan base thinks we are a powerhouse in the league. Talbot and the Rangers will need to be ready to fight tooth and nail for those 2 points.

I'm fine starting Talbot if Henrik is tired.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Not that I am okay with losing in general, but I feel like one loss after a 5 game win streak isn't a huge deal. Don't want two in a row, but I can accept last night.

Precisely my feeling, its no big deal right now.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
BTW that Calgary game was the definition of a trap game. I can see any team in the league losing a game on the road in a long road trip coming off an emotional win against a team that not only has nothing to lose but has been playing well. Perfect trap game. Considering that we still played pretty well, I'm not too upset. Though I'm disappointed in Hank and the D mostly for the 2nd period. This wasn't that 3 game stretch where we were getting outplayed and looked like a different team. This loss wasn't nearly as discouraging at that Carolina loss. Now, hopefully they go back to basics. They play Edmonton like they did in periods 2 and 3 against Philly and Phoenix and they get an easy win unless Scrivens stands on his head or Talbot/Hank throw in a stinker.

This too.

I don't think it's realistic to expect your team to be 100% all the time, there are going to be times when the effort isn't always there or it isn't manifesting itself in a productive manner.

I know these players are being paid an exorbitant amount of money to play a game, but that doesn't change the fact that they're human. No amount of money will.

Harry99

Mar 28, 2014
I know it hurts, but I don't see what Callahan's production on the Lightning has to do with anything. Bottom line, he was a middle of the road 3rd liner here. That's STILL better than MSL, but don't pretend like he'd be some PPG player here.

That's delusional. Nobody on the Rangers is a PPG player. He was one of the few that played two way hockey. And AV didn't use him right, taking him off the PP. He's a shutdown forward who can also score 25 goals. He is a top 6 guy on any team in the league.

Harry99

Mar 28, 2014
The thing is I'm not the biggest fan of the trade but it's because of the picks. People get way too emotional about players like Callahan. 9 times out of 10 Callahan for MSL is a win. It just so happens in these DOZEN games it hasn't been. Callahan wasn't anything special on this team at all. I seriously don't remember one BIG game from him other than Colorado. The guy didn't stand out much. This wasn't the wrecking ball Callahan that would hit everything and score on a 30(ish) goal pace. All of a sudden he starts playing well in Tampa and what a terrible trade it was. I bet if we trade Nash and he starts scoring a point per game, no one will be "what a terrible trade that was" everyone will be "why didn't he do this here?" But it's the blue collar Rangers fan favorite who Rangers fans loved to live vicariously through, so OMG! You can spin it however you like. You can spin it like "we traded a great player" or "we traded a player that has the potential to be great but wasn't playing like that here". Great is obviously not in the superstar mold great, but realistically great for a Callahan type player.

Any difference in his play this year had more to do with AV's system than anything else. He still led the team in hits per game. But that style doesn't fit AV's system. So he was taken off the PP and got less ice time.

TB wins again tonight. Callahan with game tying goal in 3rd period.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Any difference in his play this year had more to do with AV's system than anything else. He still led the team in hits per game. But that style doesn't fit AV's system. So he was taken off the PP and got less ice time.

Can't write this ****. :laugh:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The player that replaced him on the powerplay happens to be tied for the team lead in powerplay goals.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
I have wondered if Cally forced his way out of NY because of the way AV used him. No more PP time, etc. I don't know if he actually forced his way out or not, but we have seen that people who don't give in to Sather or guys that hold out are eventually purged. Go all the way back to Marek Zidlicky. Brandon Dubinsky was another one that angered Dolan's chosen GM, and he is gone. Now Cally is gone too. I am not lamenting Cally being gone. I am lamenting what was sent with him to Tampa, and what we got back. So far, not much.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Can't win them all...have to play strong next game. I would play hank just to get the bad goal off his mind

Yes...that's why we have trouble with Boston

THat';s because those teams have secondary scoring in effect... which is something good teams have...

Personally, if that's the case, you need to modify the D pairings for those teams:

McD-G
Staal-Klein
Diaz-Stralman

That way you have 2 ridiculous defensive pairings, and 1 so so... but with the 2 ridiculous pairings, you can get away with playing them 24-26 mpg on those nights, while only surrendering 8-12 mins to the third pairing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad