Rogers in talks to sell Monday night NHL game package in Canada to Amazon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Amazon is gearing up to be a major player in the next NHL rights contest. I wonder if part of the reason Bell sold their MLSE stake was to be able to have a bigger warchest for NHL rights. Although maybe they feel like they dodged a bullet not trying to outbid Rogers the last go around.

Yea, I wouldn’t be surprised if this similar package will become a dual US/CAN deal. It could be a unique type of deal that benefits all fans in North America and Amazon has the money do it.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yea, I wouldn’t be surprised if this similar package will become a dual US/CAN deal. It could be a unique type of deal that benefits all fans in North America and Amazon has the money do it.

So the precedent is the Apple / MLS deal, where Apple was given WORLDWIDE streaming rights to MLS games. So it's certainly possible.

It's a little bit different in that MLS is really a secondary soccer league (even with a few top stars), while that hockey might be a secondary sport, but NHL is the top hockey league in the world. NHL makes money selling hockey rights not only in Canada / US, but also in various other markets as well.

Problem is all those rights expire at different times.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
So the precedent is the Apple / MLS deal, where Apple was given WORLDWIDE streaming rights to MLS games. So it's certainly possible.

It's a little bit different in that MLS is really a secondary soccer league (even with a few top stars), while that hockey might be a secondary sport, but NHL is the top hockey league in the world. NHL makes money selling hockey rights not only in Canada / US, but also in various other markets as well.

Certainly true, but much like the new NBA media deal, the NHL gonna need a 3rd package to get at least 2x more in their next US media deal and Amazon with this deal has the early leg up to do it. How they can structure it around the next US and CAN deal I’m not sure, but I’m sure from a financial standpoint, but makes sense to have Amazon involved.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Do Canadian Prime subscribers also get NFL Thursday night games?
No, it’s on TSN , like all NFL games in Canada. Also CTV has games, but CTV owns part of TSN I think.
Also games on CBS, Fox or whatever the big networks show

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Certainly true, but much like the new NBA media deal, the NHL gonna need a 3rd package to get at least 2x more in their next US media deal and Amazon with this deal has the early leg up to do it. How they can structure it around the next US and CAN deal I’m not sure, but I’m sure from a financial standpoint, but makes sense to have Amazon involved.

Yeah, so I'm not a major media executive, but it does seem to me like it's probably in the league's best interests to follow the example of the NFL. The NFL has got pretty much every single media company in the US involved.

Sunday regional games are split between CBS (AFC) and NFC (Fox). Monday Night Football is on ABC/ESPN. Sunday Night Football is on NBC. And now Thursday night football is on Amazon.

This makes everyone an NFL "partner" and thus gives them a reason to want to promote the overall league, and makes them a bidder for rights in the future.

I'm going to compare that to the CFL, which has been exclusive to one broadcaster for a number of years - TSN. If you flip to Sportsnet you will see CFL highlights - eventually - but Sportsnet does nothing to really promote the league.

Or same thing with ESPN - for all those years when ESPN/ABC weren't involved in the league ESPN did nothing to promote hockey.

No, it’s on TSN , like all NFL games in Canada. Also CTV has games, but CTV owns part of TSN I think.

CTV and TSN are both owned by Bell.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

MLS had instructed teams years before to ensure none of their local deals exceeded a specific year when they planned to go this route. I am sure they also ensured international deals also expired around the same time.
If Rodgers couldn't make it work at that price point per game. i am not sure how splitting it to a higher price per game would make it financially viable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad