Rogers Communications has acquired BCE’s 37.5% stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Well Mr. Woke.
Cherry was not perfect but he was 100% Canadian, and is 100% correct in demanding people respect the uniforms and those who serve.
I don't think that was in question. The real issue was...does it belong on a hockey broadcast, at the expense of...oh, I don't know...HOCKEY TALK. And btw...ain't nobody has the right to DEMAND I do anything. I understand being expected or asked not to DISREPECT the uniform or someone's chosen career path. But I'm not venerating anything just because you, or Don f***in' Cherry or anybody thinks I should. And that's not woke, sir. That's freedom of choice.

Reactions: hui43210

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I don't think that was in question. The real issue was...does it belong on a hockey broadcast, at the expense of...oh, I don't know...HOCKEY TALK. And btw...ain't nobody has the right to DEMAND I do anything. I understand being expected or asked not to DISREPECT the uniform or someone's chosen career path. But I'm not venerating anything just because you, or Don f***in' Cherry or anybody thinks I should. And that's not woke, sir. That's freedom of choice.

In my 30 years watching Hockey Night In Canada Cherry always gave shout-outs to members of our armed service and police.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Not quite. When you choose to come to Canada, you accept our rituals and important patriotic times. If the flippin place you came from had any respect you would still be there. Cherry was a man of integrity, crazy at times but had integrity. When our government refuses to be proud of those who kept this country and Europe free, who died and sacrificed so new Canadians had a place to come to, someone has to make the point. I wish he was still on ripping the government for canceling 10 marching bands representing regiments across this once great country. Standing up for our men and women in uniform is the only thing to do.
No doubt you felt sorry for Russia in 72...no doubt you hated Esposito speech in Vanvouver,
This November, don't wear a poppy, don't drop a couple bucks in the box but sit with your friends and enjoy your freedom.
You earn freedom, it is not given to anyone, but many who live here now seem to forget who gave them the freedom. It may not be woke, but very flippin close.

• Love
Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That’s idiotic. I don’t know a single person in my life who won a participation trophy, as much as older folks like to act like it is was a common thing. It’s mostly just baseless shit talking.
Really, I'm 63 years old and participation trophies were common place in the leagues I played in as a kid. In almost, all of them, hockey, baseball, soccer, bowling, you got some some kind of award just for playing in the league. I think in bowling, it may just have been a patch but in the other three, it was definitely small trophies just for playing. This was in Eastern Ontario.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I think the Jack Nicholson’s quote from the movie A Few Good Men sums up what I think of your opinion…….

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!
Ya, and he was wrong. Y'all make a good pair.

Reactions: hui43210

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
giphy.webp

whoa.
We've got a live one.
How to spot a racist:

Considering how barren the Leafs recent history has been this was one of the brightest spots of the last 20 years....

Try Reddit.
Ummmm... What did he think of Ponikarovsky? Antropov? Oh ya, he can't even say their names. He only likes you if you play like a Canadian... which is, get this, racist.

But ya, old time hockey! Grrr. Tough! Put your poppy on our go back to where you came from!

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
We've got a live one.

Ummmm... What did he think of Ponikarovsky? Antropov? Oh ya, he can't even say their names. He only likes you if you play like a Canadian... which is, get this, racist.

But ya, old time hockey! Grrr. Tough! Put your poppy on our go back to where you came from!

You have to be trolling me... Especially with your username and profile picture lol.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Didn’t Rogers overpay on the last broadcast deal with the NHL? I also heard rumours that Bell would be more aggressive going after the broadcast so maybe it’s just the two media conglomerates rotating in and out of the broadcast rights vs franchise ownership side of the fence. Little duopoly song and dance. Nothing to see for the little people.

I found Ed Rogers choice of words during the presser to be particularly interesting compared with what Tanenbaum wrote in the famous letter of apology.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs are a public trust with the greatest fans in the world" (Tanenbaum, April 2012)

Being involved with these teams is a public trust and we view that as a responsibility that we take very seriously” (Ed Rogers, Sept 2024)

Definition of a public trust: within the public lies the true power of a society; therefore, whatever trust citizens place in its officials must be respected.

Do you feel respected by this team?

They know they aren’t a public trust. This is a corporation. One that will put it's own best interests ahead of the fans every time.

But it's seen as a public trust by the fans so they use it in their marketing ploys.

For the first time in twelve years they felt the need to drive that point home. Maybe it's a sign ML$E fears loyalty is waning. They're worried fans will turn away from the team.

The Leafs are in danger of losing their identity with this acquisition.

So they are making an appeal to the public. To prove they're still the same team fans know and love. Except the cries for change have been growing louder for years.

If they actually had any respect for the greatest fans in the world they would listen.

Last edited:

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
We've got a live one.

That isn't racism. Canadian isn't a race, it's a nationality, just like Russian, Finnish, Swedish, etc.

Apart from that, Don is no longer relevant, lets just collectively move on. If you're a fan, he has a podcast.

_______

Bell had to do it. 39 billion in outstanding debt with a debt to equity ratio over 2. It was telegraphed by Bell when the CEO stated "We will be looking at sales of non-core assets". This shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone. When they slash their dividend in the next 12 months, it shouldn't surprise anyone either. Can't spend 140% of your cashflow for long without driving your company into the void.

I really doubt this has any material affect in terms of on-ice product.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I found Ed Rogers choice of words during the presser to be particularly interesting compared with what Tanenbaum wrote in the famous letter of apology.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs are a public trust with the greatest fans in the world" (Tanenbaum, April 2012)

Being involved with these teams is a public trust and we view that as a responsibility that we take very seriously” (Ed Rogers, Sept 2024)

Definition of a public trust: within the public lies the true power of a society; therefore, whatever trust citizens place in its officials must be respected.

Do you feel respected by this team?

They know they aren’t a public trust. This is a corporation. One that will put it's own best interests ahead of the fans every time.

But it's seen as a public trust by the fans so they use it in their marketing ploys.

For the first time in twelve years they felt the need to drive that point home. Maybe it's a sign ML$E fears loyalty is waning. They're worried fans will turn away from the team.

The Leafs are in danger of losing their identity with this acquisition.

So they are making an appeal to the public. To prove they're still the same team fans know and love. Except the cries for change have been growing louder for years.

If they actually had any respect for the greatest fans in the world they would listen.

I think Bell can see the writing is on the wall for the overpaid core and don't want to take the flak when they don't produce a cup or lose big players for nothing.

I could see Bell going for TV rights or to drive up Rogers costs in a bidding war and put that financial pressure on them.

I don't under stand how Rogers buy the Leafs changes the identity. Appealing to the fans is just something kind to say to Leafs nation before the deal is done.

That isn't racism. Canadian isn't a race, it's a nationality, just like Russian, Finnish, Swedish, etc.

Apart from that, Don is no longer relevant, lets just collectively move on. If you're a fan, he has a podcast.

_______

Bell had to do it. 39 billion in outstanding debt with a debt to equity ratio over 2. It was telegraphed by Bell when the CEO stated "We will be looking at sales of non-core assets". This shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone. When they slash their dividend in the next 12 months, it shouldn't surprise anyone either. Can't spend 140% of your cashflow for long without driving your company into the void.

I really doubt this has any material affect in terms of on-ice product.

Horribly managed company that wastes taxpayer dollars like no other. They are the other Bombardier of Canada and are always looking for grants etc because they can't just run a profitable business model.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I think Bell can see the writing is on the wall for the overpaid core and don't want to take the flak when they don't produce a cup or lose big players for nothing.

I could see Bell going for TV rights or to drive up Rogers costs in a bidding war and put that financial pressure on them.

I don't under stand how Rogers buy the Leafs changes the identity. Appealing to the fans is just something kind to say to Leafs nation before the deal is done.

Horribly managed company that wastes taxpayer dollars like no other. They are the other Bombardier of Canada and are always looking for grants etc because they can't just run a profitable business model.

Everything you said here is patently false and/or contrary what Bell has stated in their public financial disclosures.

There is zero chance they will bid for national rights for the NHL, it does not align with their future business roadmap. MLSE was a financial investment, the core four has nothing to do with this decision, this almost 5 billion allows Bell to lower their debt, provides flexibility to go in a new direction.

You can say they are horribly managed but they are not. They are well managed but got F-ed by two very short sighted government decisions, in a very short period of time. They are the only Canadian telecommunication company who had the stones to invest in modern Tech, which benefitted their consumers and governments, Rogers cable is literally 30 year old tech. Once Bell stuck their neck out, after investing billions in infrastructure, the CRTC changes the rules of the game + the world stopped for two years, after which the worlds govt foolishly printed money, driving inflation, which forced the regulatory boards to inflate prime to slow down inflation. There was no way to predict this... well I suppose you could predict the government doing somethign stupid, they have a long track record of getting in the way of innovation and business. I still cant believe that the government printed so much money, in grade 7 economics you learn about how injecting too much money into the Economy drives inflation. Stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad