Rogers Communications has acquired BCE’s 37.5% stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The evil racist white colonist Cherry was one of Kadri's biggest advocates. Don Cherry doesn't care about your culture background, just that you play the game the right way, the Canadian way. He was one of the first to highlight Cooke as a dirty coward, and he only said your name wrong if you sucked, which Ponikarovsky and Antropov did.

Also, firing Cherry on Remembrance Day demonstrates just how little Rogers/Bell care about Canadian servicemen's contributions to keep our country safe and free. Absolutely gutless woke corporations and I look forward to the day they collapse.

There is no timeline where bootlicker/jock sniffer Elliot Friedman has a better segment than Don Cherry.

I think the worst thing he ever said was Euros were soft, stereotyping of course but at the end of the day, he gave credit to Euro's who played a hard game and gave shit to Canadians who played soft. He like many old people have strong unflappable opinions about many thing, IMO they are entitled to have their opinions about things that they have decades of experience with. Does it mean their opinion is right for every one or even right at all? No it does not but unfortunately the younger you are the more binary in thought you are ... that guy is saying something I dont agree with, I'm always right and good so the opposite of right and good is wrong and bad so he must burn at the stake... FIRE HIM for saying "those guys"!!!! I wonder if "those guys" ever recovered from those life altering two words "those guys". There I go again this old guy stereotyping based on my experience. The lack of reasonable conflict resolution in this new generation is astounding, sad, disappointing and clearly will lead them to a place we have not been in almost a century.

BTW Rogers fired him,

It was "you people".

Ah.. I stand corrected... did the "you people " ever recover?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'm not one of them so I have no idea. Don't know, don't care.

Personally, I am still trying to figure out how the f**k "you people" is considered offensive.

I'm a you people, I'm a you Scottish, I'm a you French, I'm a you Russian/Polish, I'm a you Indigenous person, I'm a you British, I'm a you Canadian ... as a Country we spend so much time celebrating our diversity and our individual culture, making a purposeful point there are distinct identifiable cultures and when Cherry points out that we have distinct cultural groups in this country, exactly what we do in parades and festivals in celebration... he gets fired? We have a Minister of Culture who's job it is to uplift the diversity in this country... yet we can't agree there are distinct people in this country? I guess who ever yells the loudest is right. there are no you people , unless there are you people but only certain people can say you people.... sooo confused...

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think the worst thing he ever said was Euros were soft, stereotyping of course but at the end of the day, he gave credit to Euro's who played a hard game and gave shit to Canadians who played soft. He like many old people have strong unflappable opinions about many thing, IMO they are entitled to have their opinions about things that they have decades of experience with. Does it mean their opinion is right for every one or even right at all? No it does not but unfortunately the younger you are the more binary in thought you are ... that guy is saying something I dont agree with, I'm always right and good so the opposite of right and good is wrong and bad so he must burn at the stake... FIRE HIM for saying "those guys"!!!! I wonder if "those guys" ever recovered from those life altering two words "those guys". There I go again this old guy stereotyping based on my experience. The lack of reasonable conflict resolution in this new generation is astounding, sad, disappointing and clearly will lead them to a place we have not been in almost a century.

BTW Rogers fired him,

Ah.. I stand corrected... did the "you people " ever recover?
I don't think society's move to a "words hurt" mentality will actually change much in the long run. What people in my kids' generation don't seem to realize is that the people who will succeed in the future are no different than the ones who have succeeded in the past. Intelligence, hard work and thick skin (i.e., the ability to accept and process disappointment and failure) will always determine who wins and who loses.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I sold one of my mutual funds at a profit.

After buying it in 2012 it gave me an annualized ROI of over 30%. What an incredible investment that was. I put in $75 and cashed out for $470.

I'm filthy rich from this one time cash infusion.

Rogers must REALLY want to win it all now. Bell was holding them back this whole time treating this team as an investment. That $4B will end up as a footnote in their annual report.

Bell will call it a tidy sum of business and get back to raking customers over the coals.

This team makes oodles and oodles of money whether they win or lose. They don't need a cup in order to sell out the arena every night. There's no reason to make changes when the complacency of the greatest fan base in the world gives them more money than any other team without the expected results.

Maybe it really is all about the money.

Didn’t Rogers overpay on the last broadcast deal with the NHL? I also heard rumours that Bell would be more aggressive going after the broadcast so maybe it’s just the two media conglomerates rotating in and out of the broadcast rights vs franchise ownership side of the fence. Little duopoly song and dance. Nothing to see for the little people.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Hear , hear... well said, to get fired for saying the phrase "those people", is beyond reasonable, it is moronic TBH. The way you handle woke people is you dont feed them, when they are going in hysterics over some innocuous issue, ignore them, dont respond, dont fight with them, dont interact with them, dont react, dont give them the food they need to survive, which is attention.

This sounds silly but most people dont really understand what is bad and good any more, they just react to emotions, one person has hurt feelings so it must be bad , so now we need to have a demonstration that shuts down society to support that one person - I'm being facetious to make a point.

End of the day if your feelings are hurt, maybe your feelings needed to be hurt. Pain is the connective tissue that makes you stronger. Cherry did nothing that justified a dismissal. He was a victim of a spineless employer.

Like?
As Ricky Gervais says, just because your feeling are hurt doesn't mean you are right.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I don't think society's move to a "words hurt" mentality will actually change much in the long run. What people in my kids' generation don't seem to realize is that the people who will succeed in the future are no different than the ones who have succeeded in the past. Intelligence, hard work and thick skin (i.e., the ability to accept and process disappointment and failure) will always determine who wins and who loses.

Yup, every generation thinks the previous generation is the problem and they are the solution, youth is wasted on the young. The older I get the more learn that the less I know.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm not one of them so I have no idea. Don't know, don't care.

Personally, I am still trying to figure out how the f**k "you people" is considered offensive.
As the son of two immigrants, I also fail to understand how it was offensive. People are just snowflakes these days, anything anyone says even fair criticism is called "hate speech"

He was losing his mind and probably should have been fired for sucking at his job like 5 years before that incident, but I still don't get how that little comment cost him his job.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Didn’t Rogers overpay on the last broadcast deal with the NHL? I also heard rumours that Bell would be more aggressive going after the broadcast so maybe it’s just the two media conglomerates rotating in and out of the broadcast rights vs franchise ownership side of the fence. Little duopoly song and dance. Nothing to see for the little people.

Media content will not be Bell's focus moving forward, they do not want to be in the entertainment business. They have stated numerous times over the last year-ish that they are divesting from traditional TelCo properties. They want to be a Tech company. When the Conservatives come into office they may change their tune, as the Conservatives tend to be more Big business friendly and are more likely to influence the CRTC. There is quietly (the investment community is fully aware - the general population is probably not aware) bad blood between Bell and the Trudeau government. I think Bell thinks they cannot do business with acceptable margins in Canada, being forced to sell their bandwidth at wholesale rates to small competitors.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think it comes down to this, if you won a participation trophy you hate Grapes, if your too old to have won a participation trophy chances are you loved Grapes………

That’s idiotic. I don’t know a single person in my life who won a participation trophy, as much as older folks like to act like it is was a common thing. It’s mostly just baseless shit talking.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hear , hear... well said, to get fired for saying the phrase "those people", is beyond reasonable, it is moronic TBH. The way you handle woke people is you dont feed them, when they are going in hysterics over some innocuous issue, ignore them, dont respond, dont fight with them, dont interact with them, dont react, dont give them the food they need to survive, which is attention.

This sounds silly but most people dont really understand what is bad and good any more, they just react to emotions, one person has hurt feelings so it must be bad , so now we need to have a demonstration that shuts down society to support that one person - I'm being facetious to make a point.

End of the day if your feelings are hurt, maybe your feelings needed to be hurt. Pain is the connective tissue that makes you stronger. Cherry did nothing that justified a dismissal. He was a victim of a spineless employer.

Like?

Cherry lost the benefit of the doubt because of a history of comments. It’s not all about the one comment, which I personally didn’t think was anywhere close to as bad as other things he has said (and that is if it was even intended how some took it, which it may well not have been). I know a few people who are immigrants who found it offensive and several who didn’t. The end of the day some did and they complained to CBC.

As I said before, I respect Cherry’s steadfast support of our military but not much else about the man

Not my job to dig up every thing he’s said over the course of his broadcast career. It’s well documented

Yup, every generation thinks the previous generation is the problem and they are the solution, youth is wasted on the young. The older I get the more learn that the less I know.

And every previous generation thinks the youth are the problem, lazy and coddled. So what…

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Cherry lost the benefit of the doubt because of a history of comments. It’s not all about the one comment, which I personally didn’t think was anywhere close to as bad as other things he has said. I know a few people who are immigrants who found it offensive and several who didn’t. The end of the day some did and they complained to CBC.

As I said before, I respect Cherry’s steadfast support of our military but not much else about the man

Not my job to dig up every thing he’s said I’ve the course of his broadcast career. It’s well documented

And every previous generation thinks the youth are the problem. So what…
Fact of the matter is Cherry is better off without the CBC, just like the rest of the country will be when the next Government defunds them…….

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Fact of the matter is Cherry is better off without the CBC, just like the rest of the country will be when the next Government defunds them…….

I mean that may well be true. I think he has a podcast now right? Seems like good fit for him

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Cherry lost the benefit of the doubt because of a history of comments.
I mean, even if he didn't (which he does), he went on national television and told immigrants they are less than everyone else because they don't wear a poppy (and really, told them to go back home). He was also given a chance to apologize for those comments and he said that he wouldn't because he meant it.

I'm a third generation Canadian and I do not wear a poppy. It doesn't mean I do not support our troops (I very much do, though I often don't support the wars our country wages). And, you know, I'm not an immigrant. Old man yelled racist things on national television and got what anyone would, fired for it. And, like you said, after about 1,600 other chances. It goes way back to 1989 when he openly pondered if the Winnipeg Jets assistant coach was a type of dog food because of his name. He had the entire Iraq war situation. He argued women reporters should never be in a men's locker room, that only women are distracted at a game and men never are, and, as you do, said "I don't believe women are equal."

Dude's leash was as long as the Nile, and for anyone who thinks what he said wasn't racist... that's not just a river in Egypt.

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean, even if he didn't (which he does), he went on national television and told immigrants they are less than everyone else because they don't wear a poppy (and really, told them to go back home). He was also given a chance to apologize for those comments and he said that he wouldn't because he meant it.

I'm a third generation Canadian and I do not wear a poppy. It doesn't mean I do not support our troops (I very much do, though I often don't support the wars our country wages). And, you know, I'm not an immigrant. Old man yelled racist things on national television and got what anyone would, fired for it. And, like you said, after about 1,600 other chances. It goes way back to 1989 when he openly pondered if the Winnipeg Jets assistant coach was a type of dog food because of his name. He had the entire Iraq war situation. He argued women reporters should never be in a men's locker room, that only women are distracted at a game and men never are, and, as you do, said "I don't believe women are equal."

Dude's leash was as long as the Nile, and for anyone who thinks what he said wasn't racist... that's not just a river in Egypt.
I think the Jack Nicholson’s quote from the movie A Few Good Men sums up what I think of your opinion…….

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This went from a Rogers v. Bell thread to how to spot a racist pretty flipping quickly.
giphy.webp

whoa.

Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It was "you people".
We knew what he was implying. But why does it even matter?

Do people keep up with Don Cherry today? I don't know the slightest thing about what happened after his "firing". And I don't care.

I didn't know what happened to Stompin' Tom Connors when he stopped being around somewhere.

I can still love his past work, and I can say that Don Cherry was quite entertaining throughout his career, and then he got old as shit and started saying stuff that didn't suit the current political/social climate, and they forced him into retirement.

I don't see the problem. That's just life.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I think it comes down to this, if you won a participation trophy you hate Grapes, if your too old to have won a participation trophy chances are you loved Grapes………

I am a youth soccer coach and believe me there are competitive kids out there that scoff and laugh at bullshit like that. Gives me great hope.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
How to spot a racist:

Considering how barren the Leafs recent history has been this was one of the brightest spots of the last 20 years....

This went from a Rogers v. Bell thread to how to spot a racist pretty flipping quickly.

Try Reddit.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bell is out??
Not sure how I feel about this. Initial thought is this isn't good.
It is a bad news situation for our Leafs .. I wouldn't trust Ed Rogers to walk my 2 Great Danes .. this guy can't manage anything .. OMG da apple got crushed when it fell from dads tree .. everyone at Rogers mgmt maneuvers away from him .. his own family can't stand him .. this will be Blue Jays X10 .. this is worst case scenario for Leaf fans .. lets hope Rogers can't secure financing for this deal

LegChairGM

Jun 29, 2021
Does this mean people won't be expected to pay $250 +$80 for Sportsnet+ Premium and TSN+ to stream the games?
The roadblocks that are currently in place to stop out of province(mostly) fans from watching this team are insane. Do they actually want people paying to watch the games?

Last full season I watched was the 2021/2022 season I believe, the last season before NHL Center Ice was replaced in Canada with what we currently have. Since then I've seen maybe 15-20 regular season games per year plus playoffs on my normal TV sports subscription for Sportsnet and TSN.

All I'm really asking for is a one size fits all option for ALL of the games. Take my $200-$250 per season, tell me what app I need put on the XBOX and leave me alone!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad