Rogers Communications has acquired BCE’s 37.5% stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
On the morning the Leafs opened another year with renewed aspirations — “to a degree, it’s Stanley Cup or bust,” said defenceman Morgan Rielly — Ed Rogers won. Not on the field, no. The Blue Jays are a mess, and for the last two and a half decades, that has been the only sports team Rogers owned in full.

But Rogers is now the king of Canadian sports. Rogers Communications announced Wednesday it was buying Bell’s 37.5 per cent stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment for $4.7 billion. That puts the company’s valuation at $12.53 billion, and gives Ed Rogers control of the Maple Leafs, the Raptors, the Blue Jays, Toronto FC and the Argonauts, plus Rogers Sportsnet, Scotiabank Arena and Rogers Centre.

Bell decided to focus on the core business and pay off some debt. So now Ed Rogers controls it all.

That means a lot will change. Not everything: Bell announced that TSN will keep the rights to Leafs and Raptors games for the next 20 years, and that’s good for sports in Canada because TSN remains the gold standard in sports broadcasting in this country.

After that? Larry Tanenbaum still owns 20 per cent of the company, after selling five per cent of his stake earlier this year to a Canadian pension fund, OMERS. But Tanenbaum and Rogers have been at odds a lot over the years, and especially recently, and while Larry has managed to extend the sunset clause in his ownership agreement before, the horizon is coming into view. Tanenbaum hasn’t been perfect, but he has been the human face of the franchises, and a wise and influential counsel. He was recently re-elected as the chairman of the NBA’s board of governors, and he is admired for his attention to detail.

But this is the Rogers show, now, and it’s not clear that Tanenbaum could plan for that, whether or not he saw it coming. Will Larry be bought out in 2025, or 2026, when the deadline comes to trigger a potential sale? Tanenbaum has his WNBA team, which will be a minnow compared to MLSE’s whale.

Maybe this new era won’t be a disaster, but there is nothing in the history of Rogers and sports that tells you it will truly succeed. The Jays have mostly been mediocre under Rogers. The high water mark was practically a front-office coup against ownership’s budget constraints: then-GM Alex Anthopoulos and team president Paul Beeston saved money and used it to acquire David Price and Troy Tulowitzki at the 2015 deadline, and as the Jays were embarking on their best stretch of baseball in decades, Rogers was calling Beeston’s best friend, Jerry Reinsdorf, and asking him about replacing Beeston. Oops.

So Anthopoulos left to become one of the best executives in baseball somewhere else, and the result has been the last decade of Mark Shapiro and Ross Atkins, with no playoff wins and limited ambition.

On the MLSE side, Ed Rogers was one who questioned investing in a WNBA team right before the Caitlin Clark era, and he tried to block the re-signing of Raptors team president Masai Ujiri in 2021. It was bizarre: After Ujiri visited his Muskoka cottage, Rogers called Ujiri arrogant and accused him of bringing bodyguards. Among other things, Ujiri does not travel with bodyguards.

But Bell and Tanenbaum won the argument, Ujiri was re-signed, and everyone has tried to appear amicable and not make it personal. The franchise has since stumbled, and now the speculation on Ujiri’s timeline with the Raptors likely starts in earnest. His contract runs through 2026.

So what would give you confidence in Rogers and sports? Rogers is promising investment, and there is some evidence on the Jays side that could happen. Shapiro convinced ownership to pay for the $300-million renovation of the Rogers Centre, a $100-million new training camp renovation in Florida, a top-10 payroll, and maybe even the pursuit of Shohei Ohtani. It turned into a sad death march of a season, but they tried.

Of course, one reason the Jays have been mediocre is they never had ambition befitting their potential market; instead of being Canada’s team they were a corporate bauble, a line item, a telecommunications billboard. Like many teams, the Jays have truly reflected ownership.

There is a natural comparison to New York sports magnate James Dolan, the son of a corporate giant who owns all the toys and sometimes breaks them. The Knicks are in a good place right now, but Dolan’s dysfunction with the Knicks endures. MLSE president Keith Pelley has a much more interesting job. He has to manage one owner, now.

Or maybe the Rogers empire, that big fish gorging in Canada’s small pond, will somehow truly commit to winning, hire or retain the right people, and make the right calls in one of the most competitive landscapes in the world. With this, Ed Rogers has a chance to remake his public legacy in this city and this country, beyond being the son of Ted. However it unfolds, it’s Ed’s world, now. Win or lose.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Gahh!! Simmons is such a butt-hurt bonehead. Hey, ya dope! Say I own a GIANT Communications company....and I just made a huge move. There are essentially 2 major sports TV outlets in the country...I own one of them...and the guys I just bought out own the other. Who the f*** do you think I'm going to do my first interview with? Jeez, he's such a knob! And btw...Ron McLean is NOT a journalist. He's a commentator...with no loyalty to anything but the guy who signs his paycheque. It's not his job to REPORT. It is his job to do as he is told...by said guy.
Wht you quoting me? I said MacLean is a shill not a reporter………

Reactions: thewave

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
This is the side effect f the death of cable. With cable, expensive channels like sports were bundled with their channels, so the cost of those channels was spread out over the whole subscriber base whether a subscriber wanted sports or not. Now, sports fans are effectively having to pay the whole cost for sports programming without non-sports fans subsidizing the cost.

There is no money in traditional Tele-Communication products, although the consumer is charged an arm an a leg, the margins are thin on legacy products. This about one company wanting to focus more on its future core business + service it's massive debt because of their aggressive Fibe expansion and another company wanting to secure advertising/intellectual rights for a money printing press. Owning rights to sport franchise(s) does not align with Bell's desire to be more Tech focused and to primarily serve B2B and B2G.

My educated guess is this sale will allow Bell to leverage their lower debt and secure more favourable lending terms to allow them to aggressively purchase small start up / IT related companies in Tech in AI and ML. Owning part of MLSE made sense in the 2010's when it was all the rage to own content, now Bell is clearly sending a message they have turned a page and want to go in a different direction. Two companies in the same industry, with much different visions. In 20 years Bell will look nothing like it does today.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don’t know how he can live with himself, if I ever run into him I’ll tell him as much……..

Don Cherry deserved the precise treatment he got. Whether for the comments he was ultimately let go for or a plethora of valid instances beforehand that he got away with.

He’s a blow hard idiot.

With that said, I find Ron MacLean pretty cringey and well past his expiry as well. He never adds anything of interest to the broadcast

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Maybe this new era won’t be a disaster, but there is nothing in the history of Rogers and sports that tells you it will truly succeed. The Jays have mostly been mediocre under Rogers. The high water mark was practically a front-office coup against ownership’s budget constraints: then-GM Alex Anthopoulos and team president Paul Beeston saved money and used it to acquire David Price and Troy Tulowitzki at the 2015 deadline, and as the Jays were embarking on their best stretch of baseball in decades, Rogers was calling Beeston’s best friend, Jerry Reinsdorf, and asking him about replacing Beeston. Oops.

So Anthopoulos left to become one of the best executives in baseball somewhere else, and the result has been the last decade of Mark Shapiro and Ross Atkins, with no playoff wins and limited ambition.

When people say what happened to the Blue Jays this is what they refer to. Lost a world class executive and have replaced it with trash and havent done anything to try and fix it.

IIRC he also wanted to dump Massi after he brought the city a championship.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Perfect guy to shill a narrative, Ron MacLean will do anything for a dollar, even if it’s throwing the guy who saved your job under the bus…….
Thought the very exact thing as I was driving along listening to that "interview". MacLean is such worm. How can anybody listen to this guy and think this is entertainment? He 1000% is a Ed Rogers type of guy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I wonder if they’ll lose any fans. It’s hard to cheer for that ownership group.

They may lose some phone customers. Not because this but peoples pagers and cells exploding in the ME. Probably going to have to wear chain male underwear.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Oh, and Bell sold because they didn't need the money...hmmm
Ralph was cheap for Bills, 4 Superbowls, Pegula is not...
Hunts were cheap, Chiefs have #3 coming.
Point is, there is no rule,

Well they sold, they didn't cut hockey ops budgets.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree about there being 'no rule' either...

BUT t it does seem that a lot of folks are drawn to the idea of a single owner because they (erroneously) assume that they will always share the same views as fans and will only interfere positively in decisions/hiring/firing ect.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Don Cherry deserved the precise treatment he got. Whether for the comments he was ultimately let go for or a plethora of valid instances beforehand that he got away with.

He’s a blow hard idiot.

With that said, I find Ron MacLean pretty cringey and well past his expiry as well. He never adds anything of interest to the broadcast

God forbid a man loves his country. I come from a family of refugees/immigrants and Don Cherry was right. I happen to organize Remembrance Day memorials and every year there seems to be less and less interest and even a growing resentment towards those who fought, bled, and died for this country only for it to be given away to unappreciative bootlickers and corporate stooges.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Gahh!! Simmons is such a butt-hurt bonehead. Hey, ya dope! Say I own a GIANT Communications company....and I just made a huge move. There are essentially 2 major sports TV outlets in the country...I own one of them...and the guys I just bought out own the other. Who the f*** do you think I'm going to do my first interview with? Jeez, he's such a knob! And btw...Ron McLean is NOT a journalist. He's a commentator...with no loyalty to anything but the guy who signs his paycheque. It's not his job to REPORT. It is his job to do as he is told...by said guy.

Whether you like Simmons or not he has a point here. The media that reports on the Leafs also owns them. How is that not a conflict of interest? Corporate echo chambers will not lead to innovation and success. Many big entertainment conglomerates are losing money hand over fist because they are arrogantly trying to dictate preferences to their potential customers, see Disney for example. This will not end well for the Leafs or Rogers.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I'm curious why Rogers has blown this kinda money when they are still not in great financial shape following the Shaw acquisition.

I guess they will buy out Larry Tanenbaum's shares once he decides to sell.

Maybe Bell is gearing up to buy a Quebec City franchise in the next few years.

Reactions: thewave

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
I'm thinking the Argos will be sold sooner rather than later too; most likely tossing them out of BMO as well. TFC is far more valuable to them and sharing the field with the Argos just doesn't make sense as a result. Great for TFC players and fans overall; not so good for Argos' fans though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm curious why Rogers has blown this kinda money when they are still not in great financial shape following the Shaw acquisition.

I could see this happening. A new franchise for sure.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I'm thinking the Argos will be sold sooner rather than later too; most likely tossing them out of BMO as well. TFC is far more valuable to them and sharing the field with the Argos just doesn't make sense as a result. Great for TFC players and fans overall; not so good for Argos' fans though.

I think the same thing. Rogers has no reason to own the Argos if their competitor owns the broadcast rights and if they only add maintenance to BMO field.

If the CFL is lucky the Argos will be sold back to Bell but I wouldn't be surprised if the Argos fold outright.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

He’s a blow hard idiot.

Well Mr. Woke.
Cherry was not perfect but he was 100% Canadian, and is 100% correct in demanding people respect the uniforms and those who serve.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

BCE was forced into this sale because of its horrific balance sheet. There is zero chance it buys another sports team.

Reactions: ColinM and Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad