Rogers Communications has acquired BCE’s 37.5% stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This is the important question I would like to know. It’s already to expensive for me to go watch a leafs game so the can raise those prices but my phone bill better not be going up!
Doesn't matter who owns this team or any other professional sports team: we will all pay more to watch sports because a growing percentage of games will be on streaming services.

Reactions: therealkoho

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Nothing really official but it sounds like it. The only thing TSN will keep are the TFC and Argos games per the Bell news release.
Looks like everything stays put.

Pending approval from each league, Bell Media says it has also secured content rights to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors on TSN for the next 20 years through a long-term agreement with Rogers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looks like everything stays put.

Pending approval from each league, Bell Media says it has also secured content rights to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors on TSN for the next 20 years through a long-term agreement with Rogers.

Yep I misread that initially. Good news for the viewers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
When Bell and Rogers bought MLSE off of the Teachers Pension plan, they jointly paid $1.47 Billion. Rogers just paid $4.7 Billion for Bell's half, and Bell made nearly $4 Billion on the deal over what they paid for it.

Bell Stock has fallen from $73.41 in 2022, to a low of $43.09 in July, but has since rebounded to 46.95. A lot of the BCE stock story, is an interest rate story. As Interest rates rose, the dividend on BCE became less attractive, and people sold off. When the dividend was 5.4%, and you could get a GIC for the same rate, the stock wasn't very attractive. Now that the yield is 8.5%, and rates are falling, you'll likely see BCE buyers come back to the table.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
In my opinion, this is all about broadcast/streaming rights. Like all sports, this will eventually get to a place where the majority of Leafs games are on a streaming service that fans will need to subscribe to for a healthy fee.
I’m sure that’s a part of it. The sportsnet broadcast is awful. It’s at point where it’s unwatchable.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Business as usual for the woke and exploitative corpos that own everything in this country.

Oh and by the way, "Comments are closed" for this story on Rogers Sportsnet. Pretty soon being critical of millionaire athletes that play children's games for a living will be considered "bullying" and "violence".

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
BCE is skyrocketing.

RCI is tanking.

Business as usual for the woke and exploitative corpos that own everything in this country.

Oh and by the way, "Comments are closed" for this story on Rogers Sportsnet. Pretty soon being critical of millionaire athletes that play children's games for a living will be considered "bullying" and "violence".
Dangerous questioning. We all need more Dooseys.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I think it was obvious it was only a matter of time that one was going to buy the other's share. Always seemed weird how the two biggest enemies co-existed for the biggest sporting enterprise in the country.

What I'm more surprised by is that the MLSE conglomerate didn't just swallow up the Jays and have one huge sporting umbrella with all the major teams in the city beneath it, with each side having a proportionate share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad