Roberto Luongo Has Done IT!!!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Such a decorated , illustrious and legendary career that was full of such high marks and accomplishments but he could never get the Stanley Cup as a player .

But that streak is finally over and Roberto Luongo has done it finally , he has won Lord Stanley , and has now cemented his spot in the hockey hall of fame

And Can Call Himself a STANLEY CUP CHAMPION!!!!!! You deserved this Roberto , and i’m so thrilled you can now rest easy to enjoy this well deserving moment

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm so happy for him. I'm lost for words, I'm glad he's got this monkey off his back. He's conquered one of his demons. At least he doesn't have to live with the nightmare of 2011. Congratulations to the Panthers and Roberto Luongo.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I get why not everyone likes him, but I couldn't be happier for him.

My late grandma was also a big fan even though she didn't watch much hockey (RIP).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
At least he waited until after the Nucks finished paying his salary..
OEL, not so much
I am actually happy for both. More so for Luongo obviously.

OEL has been a warrior for the Yotes, playing through shit he should not have played considering the state of the team (lack of contender status).

Yeah, he didn’t play a big enough role to choke. Good job.
If only load management came around sooner.

We would not have driven the best goalie to never win a Vezina to the f***in ground.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Luongo has his ring.....can't believe for a single minute that it makes up for what happened in 2011.

We tried to 'pump up his tires' but they went flat when the Canucks needed it most.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So Luongo has his ring.....can't believe for a single minute that it makes up for what happened in 2011.

We tried to 'pump up his tires' but they went flat when the Canucks needed it most.
Weird that there are people in 2024 who dont understand that he was just given too many games...

Oh well.

Reactions: bh53

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't think Luongo needed "game management". It wasn't a physical injury issue but a mental one imho. Guy was a freak of nature who could have 60+ starts in a season (he did it TWICE after he was dealt back to Florida & still had a save percentage over 0.92 those seasons). The mental game is as much a factor for goalies it seems than anything else. His confidence was shot.

Reactions: Regal

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It was so weird but heartwarming to see Luongo hoist the cup. There's a multiverse out there where he did that for Vancouver in 2011 and we Canucks fans just got a glimpse at it.
I'm sure it felt great for him, and it was awesome to see it happen, especially against the Oilers. But he'd trade this ring for a 2011 one in an instant, it's definitely not the same.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He can stick it where it don’t shine taking that retirement job IMO.
Indifferent with Lu winning.... Good for him, but will hold a grudge against him (and why if he had to pick a team for the HHOF, it would have been FLA), for not landing on LTIR vs retiring (though I'm sure JB would have mismanaged that cap space).

Not the same winning it as an exec vs as a player. Hextall the same, and he got the CS in 87.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont have ill feeling for Luongo regarding the 2011 Finals other than the pumping tires comment which was pretty awkward and just another in a long line of weird media exchanges for Roberto. At the end of the day the team scored 8 goals. Just zero run support. Vigneault made a huge mistake leaving him in for 8 goals in Boston too.

Not a fan of his personality and ego prior to the Strombone handle when he finally grew some humility and a self depreciating sense of humour.

Awkward exchanges, acted like he was in the same tier as Roy and Brodeur, threw teammates under the bus, was stand offish to any back ups that might get some games and then demanded a trade the minute Schneider started to outplay him and never really backed off it much. The team was always being held hostage and i never felt like he was a Canuck in his heart he just ended up in an organization that kissed his ass and did whatever they could to keep him here while massaging his chance of winning a cup

Greatest Canuck goalie without a doubt and fans were always way to quick to blame him. Some of the above is the competitive nature of some players. Even Pettersson has similar traits.

Fact is of the 8yrs as a Canuck half of them felt like he didn't want to be here and his heart was in Florida. Not a player i look back fondly as a Canuck but appreciate his talents and the team he was a part of. Damn that team was good. As far as his Cup good for him i'm happier for most of their players

Reactions: Nomobo

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I dont have ill feeling for Luongo regarding the 2011 Finals other than the pumping tires comment which was pretty awkward and just another in a long line of weird media exchanges for Roberto. At the end of the day the team scored 8 goals. Just zero run support. Vigneault made a huge mistake leaving him in for 8 goals in Boston too.

Not a fan of his personality and ego prior to the Strombone handle when he finally grew some humility and a self depreciating sense of humour.

Awkward exchanges, acted like he was in the same tier as Roy and Brodeur, threw teammates under the bus, was stand offish to any back ups that might get some games and then demanded a trade the minute Schneider started to outplay him and never really backed off it much. The team was always being held hostage and i never felt like he was a Canuck in his heart he just ended up in an organization that kissed his ass and did whatever they could to keep him here while massaging his chance of winning a cup

Greatest Canuck goalie without a doubt and fans were always way to quick to blame him. Some of the above is the competitive nature of some players. Even Pettersson has similar traits.

Fact is of the 8yrs as a Canuck half of them felt like he didn't want to be here and his heart was in Florida. Not a player i look back fondly as a Canuck but appreciate his talents and the team he was a part of. Damn that team was good. As far as his Cup good for him i'm happier for most of their players

I don't think he wanted out because Schneider was playing well. His wife had roots in South Florida, so it was always a problem for him because of the travel back and forth. I'm pretty sure a bachelor Luongo stays in Vancouver, but he had family reasons to go and I'm not going to hold that against him.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't think Luongo needed "game management". It wasn't a physical injury issue but a mental one imho. Guy was a freak of nature who could have 60+ starts in a season (he did it TWICE after he was dealt back to Florida & still had a save percentage over 0.92 those seasons). The mental game is as much a factor for goalies it seems than anything else. His confidence was shot.
With the way the goalie position has evolved nobody looking to go deep in the playoffs should play their starter anywhere near 60.

This should not be news to anyone today.

It 100% was a load management issue. The league was just slow to catch up on that.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Fact is of the 8yrs as a Canuck half of them felt like he didn't want to be here and his heart was in Florida.
So you think he didn't want to be here during the 2011 run (his 5th season with us)?

He asked to be traded after his 6th season (our 2nd president's trophy).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So you think he didn't want to be here during the 2011 run (his 5th season with us)?

He asked to be traded after his 6th season (our 2nd president's trophy).
i think during 2010 and 2011 when everything was going great winning a Gold medal here in Vancouver and then the Cup run year he was firmly a Canuck and was embracing the City but as soon as he lost to the Bruins and then the struggles in 2012 with Schneider outplaying him started to creep into the situation he wanted out again.

The rumour was that after Vigneault benched him for Schneider against LA he asked for a trade and that's when the saga began which dragged on forever due to his contract situation.

He handled it well after the initial awkwardness and with his Strombone handle his self depreciating sense of humour actually made me appreciate him i just was never a fan of his personality ego and never felt like he was a bleed blue Canuck.

From 2006 to 2009 he was a prima donna and we were always one wrong ass kiss away from him forcing his way out. Why do you think Gillis made him Captain?

I don't hold a grudge it's just who he was. Some players like Bieksa for instance keep all the internal stuff locked down smartly and when asked say they will go down with the ship while others can't help themselves and their ego's and they let their personal desires and feelings become soap operas. In Roberto's case that always bugged me

As i said the best Canuck goalie of all time to date and goalies are weird but i'm not a big fan or would want to wear his jersey. I can appreciate people loving him it's just not me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumbler

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
1000047607.jpg

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad