Kings News: Rob Blake to replace Hextall as Assistant GM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
When Blake re-signed with the team in '98, Blake's agent had the following to say:
http://www.hockeynut.com/9899/kings0998.html
Blake has spent his entire NHL career with the Kings, the upcoming season being his ninth with the team. Salcer said he thinks the Kings won't let Blake become an unrestricted free agent after this deal is over.

"I feel pretty confident that within the next couple years L.A. will approach us and try to get done until Rob's 34 or 35," Salcer said. "He'd like to be here his whole career."

Too bad the Kings weren't interested in keeping the face of the franchise back then.

And when Blake signed his contract, Al MacInnis had just signed a three-year extension for $15M.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/1998/09/09/kings_blake/
"Both sides are very interested in getting a deal done in time for training camp," Kings general manager Dave Taylor said Wednesday. "Rob wants to stay with the Kings and we want him to stay."

Blake is a restricted free agent who has spent nine seasons with the Kings.

"I want to play," he said. "I want to be on the ice. I have missed time before because of injuries, and I know that any month you miss means that it takes two months to catch up."

But Blake can't practice when the Kings open training camp Sunday unless he has signed a contract.

Kings president Tim Leiweke said the team is prepared to make Blake the NHL's highest-paid defenseman. That spot currently belongs to Al MacInnis, who got a three-year, $15 million deal from St. Louis.

"I don't feel you get paid according to the position you play," said Ron Salcer, Blake's agent. "I think you get paid by your value to the hockey club, and Rob is certainly as valuable to the Kings as any of the top players are to their organizations."

And this article speaks volumes of what his peers thought of him and how irrational fans are:
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/17/sports/sp-adande17
"Rob Blake's jersey should be up there for sure," said current King captain Mattias Norstrom. "No question, he's the franchise's best defenseman."

But before that number goes to the wall, there's some patchwork to do. Not on the jersey itself, but on Blake's relationship with King fans.

It's tough to picture a warm and fuzzy night honoring Blake because right now you can't imagine him stepping on the Staples Center ice without the fans booing.

It's time to fix it, and it can start tonight when Blake and the Colorado Avalanche play the Kings.

Blake should toss a verbal bouquet to the fans, let them know how much he enjoyed playing for them and remind them they shouldn't take his decision to leave personally. He wouldn't comment for this column.

The fans don't have to do a thing to make peace. Silence would speak volumes.

Norstrom hears the boos, and he has only one question.

"Why?" he asked.

"For a guy that's done so much for this organization and been just a great ambassador for hockey in Southern California. He's been part of the community, still is, he lives here in the summertime. That's why I personally have a hard time understanding why they're still booing him."

I guess maybe we should boo the players who also support Blake as well, right? Because that's the rational thing to do!
http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/02/22/a-conversation-with-ian-laperriere/
As much as I’ve got respect for Blakey – I had it at the time, and I’m always going to have so much for the guy as a human being on and off the ice – everybody has a job to do, and go after him, because he’s one of the best players in the world. But it was weird. I’m sure it’s nothing compared to how he felt, for sure.

He cared about the money so much that he broke down when he was dealt to Colorado, that greedy *******!
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/feb/23/sports/sp-29247
Rob Blake was stoic almost to the end. But when the bus prepared to leave for the Kings' morning skate without him Thursday and he had to say farewell to Luc Robitaille, his composure crumbled.

Slowly, the two most familiar and accomplished Kings walked through the team's hotel, tears spilling down Blake's face and Robitaille's eyes misting. "We're all a little bit shocked," Robitaille said. "Somehow, I don't think I believed it was going to happen."

Nor did Mattias Norstrom, Blake's frequent defense partner. "Everybody knows I'm probably the guy who benefited most from playing with him," Norstrom said. "The player he is, he took my game to another level.

"It's really a sad day."

While we're at it, why not boo Marcel Dionne as well? I'm sure you guys remember how Dionne left the Kings.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
There are two sides to every story, but Blake doesn't do his credibility any favors when he puts a delay on the rebuild by invoking his NTC, because he wants to stay with the organization; then he signs with another team 3 months later, because the money wasn't scrounged up fast enough. That's why I question his character and credibility.

I question his qualifications, because has he had any success in an executive position? As for respect amongst his peers, how much success have Yzerman, Gretzky, and Nieuwendyk had in an off-ice capacity with their respect?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
When Blake re-signed with the team in '98, Blake's agent had the following to say:

Too bad the Kings weren't interested in keeping the face of the franchise back then.

And when Blake signed his contract, Al MacInnis had just signed a three-year extension for $15M.

And this article speaks volumes of what his peers thought of him and how irrational fans are:

I guess maybe we should boo the players who also support Blake as well, right? Because that's the rational thing to do!

He cared about the money so much that he broke down when he was dealt to Colorado, that greedy *******!

While we're at it, why not boo Marcel Dionne as well? I'm sure you guys remember how Dionne left the Kings.

Well Ziggy...I truly love all the posts with past articles and items. Makes me think it is time to forgive and forget. He helped make the kings respectable for a long time. As I said before I am not upset about how his first time here ended, I am upset with the second, but bottom line is when people think of Rob Blake they think of the kings. We cannot say that about a lot of potential hall of Fame players, and maybe should embrace it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There are two sides to every story, but Blake doesn't do his credibility any favors when he puts a delay on the rebuild by invoking his NTC, because he wants to stay with the organization; then he signs with another team 3 months later, because the money wasn't scrounged up fast enough. That's why I question his character and credibility.

I question his qualifications, because has he had any success in an executive position? As for respect amongst his peers, how much success have Yzerman, Gretzky, and Nieuwendyk had in an off-ice capacity with their respect?

I do recall the widespread rumor being Nabokov being offered for Blake straight up by the Sharks, however, wasn't that trade rumor debunked and didn't Lombardi or somebody within the Kings confirm that there was no deal in place and Blake never was approached about waiving his NTC? I seem to recall the situation playing out that way.

Lombardi tried to sell a lot of spare parts but was unsuccessful in doing so that year. He was able to move Brad Stuart to Detroit for a 2nd and 4th round pick and Modry to Philly for a 3rd. His other moves were minor in picking up Matt Ellis off of waivers from Detroit and dealing J.S. Aubin to the Ducks for a 7th. The Kings had a number of veterans on the roster that year that they were unsuccessful in moving. Aside from Blake, there was Scott Thornton, Derek Armstrong, Ladislav Nagy, and Kyle Calder who I think were names that were at least suggested or thought to have been moved at the deadline, and none of them were dealt.

I think the rumor of Blake refusing to waive his NTC blew up and took a life of its own. But yes, his second stint here was not glorious, but then again, need I remind you of the lineups the Kings iced at that time? We got to see the likes of Jon Klemm, Jamie Heward, Kevin Dallman, Peter Harrold, Tom Preissing, Joe Piskula on defense during that time. And that's not even touching the number of goalies the Kings used during Blake's second tenure here: Cloutier, Garon, Burke, Brust, Fukufuji, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Aubin, Taylor, and with brief appearances by rookies Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier. Bringing those names up brings back a lot of painful memories. Needless to say, the Kings were the absolute ***** back then.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County

Weren't interested? Link please.

Excellent! Thanks for helping prove my point. Blake signed for more than MacInnis had just signed for.

I don't dispute that lots of players thought (and think) highly of him. So? What he did was still wrong IMO.

I guess...if that's what you want to do. I don't...because I don't hold other players accountable for what Rob Blake did. I hold Rob Blake accountable. The players also don't begin with the same completely irrational emotional fan-type support (some) fans do, so they don't have the emotional investment in that specific team like (some) fans do.

Again, I don't argue that he didn't love it in LA. Or that he didn't love his teammates. He just didn't love those things enough to sign for a reasonable contract...or tell the truth about testing UFA...or not negotiate in the press...or respect the Captain's "C".

Yeah, he bluffed and they called it. But what's different is he didn't go public and he didn't disrespect the Captain's "C". So, no, I don't (and won't) boo him.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005

He didn't just sign with any other team, he signed with the team to which he refused to get traded by invoking his NTC. And that was just the final straw.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think this move shows a lot of disrespect to the Kings most loyal and knowledgeable customers. What does this move say to the honorable men that have busted their ass for Dean since he took the GM job in LA?

Blake has zero experience and has paid no dues. He has not earned this position. This is not the new culture or this organization, but rather a return to the old BS we were fed for years and years. I don't know what the f is going on, but Hextall's hunch or feeling looks pretty right on today.

Maybe they didn't want the job? Maybe Futa is just loving rocking the draft floor with his awesomeness? I mean how long did Jim Nill pass over GM jobs to stay in Detroit where he was comfortable? He was rumoured as a GM candidate over a decade ago. Conte in NJ, same thing. Some people love the job they're in. Often Asst. GM roles are filled by guys who want to go on to be a GM, and maybe Futa is just settled into his role? Same for Yanetti?

I don't think anyone forces people to pay their hard earned money on attending games. If people aren't happy with the team then why not just stay home, watch on tv and save your money. I doubt the players or owners really give a sweet chit, one way or the other.

I'd boo, and I'm more of a support of this teams decision making now then every before. I'd be booing Blake's lack of effort, not the Kings decision making.

How does signing Blake to a three-year deal that makes him the NHL's top paid defenseman not show commitment? You completely ignore the fact Blake had a very extensive list of injuries prior to winning the Norris and it would have been potential contract suicide to sign him for 5 years considering his list of injuries. Not surprisingly, he missed 20 games in his first year after winning the Norris as well. The guy at the time was a walking bandaid that managed to play one full season in a five year stretch, missing at least 20 games the other four years. Three years and the highest paid D-man in the league is very impressive, not insulting.

And an article about his teammates giving him the thumbs up? Wow. Only the worst of the worst (Avery for example) have teammates or former teammates bash them. Unless a guy was really disliked, there is almost a code if you will that you speak fondly of former players.

How much do think some players want to see Chelios or Pronger or Roenick or guys like that beat to a pulp? Likely quite a few, but you won't find many comments of former teammates bashing them, even if they were me first dickwads. It doesn't happen much, for a reason. And that reason isn't because somehow magically all players are just awesome people who are like Guy Smiley.

Btw, Ryan Smyth cried when he left Edmonton too. I guess he's not a 'me first' type who should be booed either?

santiclaws

May 19, 2005

NHLPA members who supported another NHLPA member during his negotiations with management? Why, this is a shocking development! His peers also knew him as a teammate and friend. They're hardly unbiased observers. In addition, I seriously doubt they closely followed the negotiations like many of the fans did. They had other things to do. The fact that other players liked him and still like him means exactly zero.

Captain Mittens*

I mean how long did Jim Nill pass over GM jobs to stay in Detroit where he was comfortable? He was rumoured as a GM candidate over a decade ago.

True story, Jim Nill was one of the guys the Kings were after when DT was fired

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Guys, guys, we had it all wrong. The Kings are hiring Jason Blake. And Luc Robitaille has never been employed by the Kings, it was Randy Robitaille all along!

Jun 30, 2006
We can all argue till we are blue in the face about whether or not Blake is a *******. Personally I don't think he is a *******. I didn't like the way he left the Kings in his second stint, and he completely ripped off the Kings with his perfomance and lack of desire to play.

He really needs to apologize or set the record straight with the fans. I think most will forgive him if he comes across contrite and understanding. He is one of the best Dman to play the game, and deserves to be recognized as such. However, if the Kings want to hire him and ignore the past, it is going to be ugly.

I also remember that Hammond flew a poll on LAK about retiring Blake's number, and it was very lopsided that nobody wanted to see the Kings retire #4. That sent a message to the brass about Blake's standing in our community.

Jun 30, 2006

This. Kings will have lots of explaining and work ahead of them to build a bridge with the Fans on this issue.

Like I said, Blake needs to start making amends and putting his best foot forward. People tend to be very forgiving, especially post-Cup win. But if he gives an answer like "No, I have nothing to say about that to the fans."...then he is going to continue to get boos.

KingsFirstCup

Nov 18, 2012
Canada
Why is everyone saying Blake has no off-ice experience? He's been working for the NHL since he retired, and has helped Team Canada select players for the World Championships. Has he been a GM anywhere? No. But neither had Hextall when the Kings hired him.

Jun 30, 2006
I'm confused by all the hate for Blake. Is this because of how he left LA when he was traded to the Avs over 10 years ago or something else he said/did recently?

Most of the hate stems from his second stint in LA.

I forgive him for ripping off the C and dealing with Lieweekly, the President/Governor of the LA Kings at the time. He was one of the top Kings in my book, behind Luc and Gretzky. His attitude towards the fans and how he played in the second stint, by not caring and playing as hard as he should have. Then the way he left for San Jose, was not right.

Jun 30, 2006
Why is everyone saying Blake has no off-ice experience? He's been working for the NHL since he retired, and has helped Team Canada select players for the World Championships. Has he been a GM anywhere? No. But neither had Hextall when the Kings hired him.

Hextall was a scout and was Director of Professional Player Personnel for the Flyers prior to joining the Kings. He had the credentials. Blake does not, certainly not over Futa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad