Sportsnet: RNH generating trade interest

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Who would have figured at the beginning of the season that the Oilers would be seen as perennial sellers already
RNH has always been seen as for sale, even when times were good for us, just because of the cap. It's just that now teams are interested, probably because RNH is playing very well, and we are low in the standings so things are accelerated.

However, since he is doing better and still signed for a long time I think the Oilers are aiming on keeping him, especially if the reports of the cap increasing a lot are for real.

edit: at the very least, we aren't selling him off for futures. It would have to be for a need.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't know what the Panthers could offer that the Oilers would be interested in. Some combination at the NHL level of Brickley, Bjugstad, Petro, Pysyk? Doesn't seem like nearly enough value. Enough quantity though, lol. I can't see Tallon moving any of our high picks or top prospects either given where we are in the standings.

Also, does he become our 3rd line centre? Are we trading Trocheck? Trocheck doesn't really work on the wing. Can RNH play wing?

I like RNH a lot, but him to Florida does not make much sense as we're a budget team, and we have Barkov and Trocheck as our 1 and 2.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Prediction- if traded, RNH will have a bigger impact on his team than Duchene.
Matt D. had like 5 games and 0 pts. kind of impact. ;)

We struggle to get RNH within our cap limit - and I doubt he end up as Rangers. But who knows maybe Jeff Gorton is on the phone while I write this... :)
Hopefully Gorton don`t move our ELC with Chytil & Lias - we need them both due to G buyout among other things - and we need to resign both Miller & Zucci.

Last edited:

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I agree that they may have to trade it but a better option may be to trade down during the first round of the draft. They could acquire extra 2nd and 3rd round picks (Without sacrificing anybody on their roster) and grab those extra goalies and defensemen they need to feed into their development pipeline. For me this would also be an economic issue - if they keep and use a high 2018 pick they're going to have to find cap space in order to keep that player for the long haul.

This is also why I'm hoping that if/when RNH is traded it's for a package that includes a 2nd round pick or two (In addition to contracts, prospects, etc) .
Considering the Oilers have literally nothing to show for their 2nd round and beyond picks, might as well give players away for nothing rather than waste time and money on development of more busts.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Also, does he become our 3rd line centre? Are we trading Trocheck? Trocheck doesn't really work on the wing. Can RNH play wing?

I like RNH a lot, but him to Florida does not make much sense as we're a budget team, and we have Barkov and Trocheck as our 1 and 2.
Maybe move him to wing or Tro to wing? Or trade McCann?

Agree, I don't see the fit.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Considering the Oilers have literally nothing to show for their 2nd round and beyond picks, might as well give players away for nothing rather than waste time and money on development of more busts.
With that kind of record they should have changed their scouts well before now. Please tell me they've hired new scouts...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Matt D. had like 5 games and 0 pts. kind of impact. ;)

We struggle to get RNH within our cap limit - and I doubt he end up as Rangers. But who knows maybe Jeff Gorton is on the phone while I write this... :)
Hopefully Gorton don`t move our ELC with Chytil & Lias - we need them both due to G buyout among other things - and we need to resign both Miller & Zucci.

I mean overall impact.

Reactions: mab894 and Ori

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
RNH doesn't make a lot of sense to move for lesser pieces unless we're desperately worried about the cap moving forward - and we really shouldn't be. It's very likely going up.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Given where they are in the standings and their rather limited hopes to reach the playoffs what they need are futures.
the problem there is that RNH is not a rental. He's still signed for 3 years. Even if this year is a loss, it makes more sense to keep him for next year to try to win again, or at least to trade him for a player who will help us win rather than waiting and wasting our long term contracts on the books now.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If I were Edmonton I would fire the GM before he is allowed to trade any more assets from the organization. RNH is still young and has the talent to consistently put up points, I dont see any reason to trade him yet. If they want to move someone they should try to ship out Lucic and that awful contract.

Reactions: McSuper and Ori

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If I were Edmonton I would fire the GM before he is allowed to trade any more assets from the organization. RNH is still young and has the talent to consistently put up points, I dont see any reason to trade him yet. If they want to move someone they should try to ship out Lucic and that awful contract.

Rumblings in Edmonton are that Chia is not allowed to move RNH without the direct OK from Daryl Katz.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Given where they are in the standings and their rather limited hopes to reach the playoffs what they need are futures.
Yeah, but you don't trade quality players you will have to immediately replace. RNH is a 24 year old top six center. Trading him serves no purpose. If they sell, players like Letestu, Maroon, Slepyshev, possibly Strome and Gryba will all likely bring back modest returns of futures.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Not sure what Oilers benefit with this move though speaking of their perspective, and who they expect in return. However what Oilers need is to upgrade their defense just like Leafs. Maybe Rangers will move Ryan Mc. their 2nd cpt. within a (3-4 years period), but I don`t know if Oilers fit with that kind of move. Rangers need a top 4 talent defender in return + future prospects in 2018 draft or 19.

Last edited:

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Hung up on a word. How's very good? He's had 3 50+ point season by 22 and is on a current career pace to break 60. I'd like to see what he'd do without being saddled with players like Lucic.

Someone mentioned the Duchene comparable. I'd like to see how well RNH would produce on a line with MacKinnon
I am not saying he is a bad player, but you said great and after all he was the number one overall...... A few 50 point seasons are the least that Edmonton should expect. Thats all i am saying.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yeah, but you don't trade quality players you will have to immediately replace. RNH is a 24 year old top six center. Trading him serves no purpose. If they sell, players like Letestu, Maroon, Slepyshev, possibly Strome and Gryba will all likely bring back modest returns of futures.
Why would they need to immediately replace him? The team is going to have to experience a hellacious winning streak in order to get back into playoff contention.It's best to trade him, fill the roster spot with whomever they can find and start prepping for the 2018 draft.

They could trade the other guys you list (And probably should) but they won't be getting as much as they need.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No wonder things have gone to hell, Katz the new Harold Ballard?

If I owned the Oilers and my GM's last five major moves were trading Hall for Larsson, signing Lucic for too much for too long, trading Eberle for Strome, buying out Pouliot for no particular reason, and signing Russell for too much for too long, I'd stick my nose in too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad