In Memoriam RIP Buffaloed

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Well, shit. A bit stun-locked by this news. Joe had a great sense of humor and put in tons of hours of behind the scenes work for the forums. Besides his humorous public posts, I could always count on him to throw a quip into the most mundane admin conversations we'd have too. He will be missed. Condolences to his sister, family, and friends.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Wow. Just...wow. I'm here to pay my respects.

It is literally impossible to consider the history of the site without this man. Yeah, back in the day, technically HF was a subset of Hockey's Future and Ken McKenna ran the whole thing after the Taylors and Shane Malloy left, but in terms of the HFBoards forum itself Buffaloed ran the whole thing. Unless you were/are a moderator or admin here, you actually may not have realized how incredibly much he involved himself into each and every aspect of this place but from a few years of experience on the moderator side I can tell you he was extraordinarily invested into the running of this place. To put it bluntly, he put his heart and soul into each and every bit of HFBoards for at least two decades. I don't know where this place will go without him. His impact was impossible to overstate.

Rest in Peace, brother.

Over past Xmas break, liver cancer, took him less then two months after it was diagnosed. Just heartbreaking.

Jesus was a great, great guy. Heartbreaking is right.
oh for f***'s sake jfont had passed too? God damn it.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
He was posting here not much longer than a week ago. Still a bit shocked.

I didn't know him personally, but with his style and wit, he was the kind of poster you felt you did know. His was a welcome, calming presence on a site where discord too often rules the day.

Maybe a small tribute to his memory would be to ask oneself, before hitting Post on that confrontational, snark-filled message, "what would Joe do?" and reconsider one's words.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Reading all of the posts has me in tears. It makes you realize just how much of a family we are and not just on our team specific boards. Buffalo fans please reach out if you need anything. You have always been incredible to us on the Bruins board in times like these. We may be division rivals but when it comes to Buffaloed, we are family.

My thoughts go out to Joe’s family. He was an incredible and generous man and no matter how much you skirted the line at times, he would be stern but never mean.

May he and Fugu watch down on all of us.

❤️

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I just got a message from Joe's nephew who it turns out lives in the Boston area.

He wanted us to know this his Mom has read this thread and it has brought her comfort.
EDIT: misread the post, my bad.

Hopefully we can at least help to some degree although we feel just as powerless as everyone else.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Joe didn't want his illness to be a distraction to the board and he made that clear to the staff.

He did not want the board filled with get-well messages which explains why he never said anything on the Sabres board.

He was hospitalized in early May for what was believed to be a COVID-related issue and he was progressing well and then in late May, he dropped the bomb on his prognosis :cry:

He made it clear he had a plan in place to keep the board 'in good hands'.

He continued working tirelessly on tweaking our new software and was more worried about the board handling free agent frenzy than himself as that is the way he was wired. He did hint to staff that things were not going well.

His treatments intensified on July 25th and the last time he was online was August 2nd.

The owner of the board plans to do something in his memory and is in touch with his family.

The owner would like some input from the HF Sabres community on how to proceed. Our initial thought is to do something with the Sabres Foundation.

I pledge to keep you updated.
I think the Sabres Foundation is a wonderful idea.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hey, everyone.

I worked here as a moderator and administrator for quite a few years until about three years ago. I was never an admin for this forum and I don't think I ever posted here so you may not know me.

I was saddened to hear of Joe's passing and I want to say a few words about Joe.

We have lost a lot of good people over the years, including former lead administrator and my mentor, Barbara Stephenson (Fugu). Now, we've lost Joe. That's the top two HF'ers taken by cancer in less than four years.

I got to know Barb very well, as I know Fenway also did, but I'm honestly not sure if many people outside of the Sabres forum ever got to know Joe very well. My impressions have always been that Joe kept to himself and rarely if ever mixed work with pleasure. One thing is certain though. Joe devoted a substantial part of his life to HFBoards, over 20 years worth. He kept this community afloat for all of us to enjoy and for that I am extremely grateful.

Rest in peace, Joe. You gave us this home, and we are all here because of you. Thank you.

CM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad