Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Offering a 6 or 7 year deal to a 34 yeaf old is definitely more complicated when you probably don't want him to play out the last couple years of that deal.

They are definitely betting on him retiring early.

34 means it won’t count against the cap when he does.

Maybe they’re trying to get 2-3 more effective years before he hangs them up.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
They’re probably betting on him to either retire or go on LTIR. Worst case if you structure the contract properly you buy out the remaining 2/3 years. Regardless, recent gambles the Leafs have taken over the years have not worked in their favour so let’s see how this goes..

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I don't think they are betting on retirement. Players generally don't do that with years left on their contract. I think it more likely relates to structuring the contract in a way that makes is more buyout-friendly for the team. That is how the Leafs will ultimately get out from under a 5 or 6 year deal for Tanev.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't mind giving up marginal assets to have an exclusive negotiating window in order to land a top defenceman like Tanev.

Reactions: 29Potvin

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Offering a 6 or 7 year deal to a 34 yeaf old is definitely more complicated when you probably don't want him to play out the last couple years of that deal.
That’s intentionally entering into a bad business deal. They’re needlessly complicating things if you actually think it’s difficult.

If you recall two yrs ago I was suggesting the Leafs rest their old guys in final month of the season before the playoffs start. Maybe they’re trying to convince Tanev that he will be rested if they’re in good position in Feb March.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So Friedman is predicting 4.5X 6 for Tanev and it sounds like 3x4 for OEL is possible.

If that happens then the defense is left looking something like.

Rielly Tanev

McCabe OEL

Benoit Lilly

If that's what it looks like coming out of today I have to be honest I don't hate that defense.

I hate the Lilly contract, there is NO SHOT I would have given him that.

But If he's on the bottom pair that's fine I guess.

I can't deny that defense would be WAY better than what we had last season no matter how much I hate the Lilly contract and I do especially since because of that contract we have to now replace Bertuzzi

Reactions: CincoHolio

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So Friedman is predicting 4.5X 6 for Tanev and it sounds like 3x4 for OEL is possible.

Rielly Tanev

McCabe OEL

Benoit Lilly

If that's what it looks like coming out of today I have to be honest I don't hate that defense.

I can't deny that defense would be WAY better than what we had last season no matter how much I hate the Lilly contract and I do especially since because of that contract we have to now replace Bertuzzi

That seems like a positive to me.
Bertuzzi isn’t a very good player

Reactions: aingefan

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Knowing the type of game he plays and how often he was injured, the Leafs are betting Tanev will probably just injure himself to LTIR

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Rielly Tanev

McCabe OEL

Benoit Lilly

They’re going with the off the glass and out strategy. Which is far better than what they’ve tried in the past.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1719844078531.png

Getting a rock solid top 4 Dman signed for $4.5 mil seems like a very solid signing and move in the right direction to start building from the Goalie out.

1719844219141.png

"Good teams are built from the Goalie out, through strong Defense...." :wave:

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
NMC also on Tanev contract so Tre includes that clause in contracts too?
Guess it’s not only Dubas that gives them out.
interesting with all the crap Marner takes for not waiving his right to keep his NMC

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Doesn't seem that complicated. We spent assets to sign a bad contract an hour early.

Rather spend assets to get one of the most coveted rentals than to sign a bad contract early.
We spent the very smallest of assets to negotiate a good contract for a very in demand player.

Don't over complicate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad