Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Nylander got $4.5m raise alone. $5m for one of the best shutdown dmen in the league is cheap, especially since we've been looking for one and a partner for Rielly for years. Not only will be be good, he will make Rielly better IMO.
About three shifts into his Leafs' career no one will be complaining about this contract. He instantly makes the team significantly better.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
5 mil a yr is a good deal for Tanev but at 35 mid season it is a legit concern about the term.

You always play with fire with long term deals in case of injury …LITR helps but when you are in your mid 30’s those chances increase.

We just have to trust our management with what to do with the cap

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
About three shifts into his Leafs' career no one will be complaining about this contract. He instantly makes the team significantly better.

Tre said that he is a locker room changer.... he was about to say he was a culture changer and stopped himself. The Leafs have bigger issues than the roster ... everything that the Leafs have done over the last 5 years is bring in "character" players, Jumbo, Spez, ROR and so on and so on ..... to change the culture .. and the culture never changes.... and we always get the same results... we need big personalities with big skill... I think Tanev and Stammer fit the bill perfectly.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
That’s a good retirement check and helps the leafs with the cap hit and because he signed before hitting 35 we have more options if Tanev goes south in a few yrs

Reactions: TMLAM34

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tre said that he is a locker room changer.... he was about to say he was a culture changer and stopped himself. The Leafs have bigger issues than the roster ... everything that the Leafs have done over the last 5 years is bring in "character" players, Jumbo, Spez, ROR and so on and so on ..... to change the culture .. and the culture never changes.... and we always get the same results... we need big personalities with big skill... I think Tanev and Stammer fit the bill perfectly.
They need talented players and leadership in the worst way.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Elliotte is saying it will be at 6 years at 4.5 million which is umm not ideal.
Why not? $4.5 million is a great number for a player with his level of impact. The length of the contract is irrelevant. In four years the leafs can simply buy it out, which I have no doubt is the real plan (not LTIR or retirement). I think we will see that the structure of the contract will make it as buyout friendly as reasonably possible for the Leafs.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Tanev isn't someone I had high on my list just because of his age, but there's no doubt today he has been one of the best defensive assets on the free agent market. If it comes in at 5m or less (depending on the term) than it's fine. He might give you some solid years while the team is still as is.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I figured he was going to a Bruin which made a lot of sense.

Did Tre trade a 7th and a prospect to negotiate against himself?

Tanev agent isn’t dumb…leafs just had rights to talk to him before free agency.

Tanev agent knows the market so it’s far from Tre bidding against himself

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Why not? $4.5 million is a great number for a player with his level of impact. The length of the contract is irrelevant. In four years the leafs can simply buy it out, which I have no doubt is the real plan (not LTIR or retirement). I think we will see that the structure of the contract will make it as buyout friendly as reasonably possible for the Leafs.
No it is most certainly not irrelevent. Lets see sign all mid 30's guys to long term deals than.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
No it is most certainly not irrelevent. Lets see sign all mid 30's guys to long term deals than.
I suspect the difference will be that this contract will be structured so as to make a buyout pretty palatable for the team if need be. Similar to the Reaves contract, but obviously bigger dollars. The leafs have a 4 year window where they will go all out trying to win. Any contract that extends beyond that window will be dealt with after that window closes.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Tre and his locker room culture change.
I thought Reaves was that guy?

How many old players do we need to change culture ? Or is this another media driven excuse?

Thornton…Marleau…etc were added and all they did was steal money here.

Don’t get me wrong …if Tanev is that guy …make him captain if the culture is so bad and Taveres not being the leader we all need.

In all honesty I think it’s all hogwash….New guys come in and rave about how tight the locker room was is

Last edited:
Reactions: Jojalu

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Oh good. Not only do we get to sign a mid-30s guy to money and term. We get to spend assets to pointlessly hold his rights for a couple days.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wonder if the holdup is because of the league getting involved? All that bs media inquiry stuff. Only in Toronto.
Here's my thoughts on how this all went down:

* Leafs are interested in Tanev as a free agent. They talk to Dallas about his rights (as they may have done with teams of other UFAs they have interest in) and found out they can make the deal for almost nothing, so they do it.

* Tanev's agemt honestly tweets that he has had no talks with the Leafs.

* Some media, misinterpreting the rules for giving an eight-year deal, jump to the conclusion that the Leafs must have made the deal to give Tanev an eight year cap circumventing deal. After learning they're wrong on the 8-year thing, they still continue with the idea that the same sort of cap circumvention deal could be done with a 6 or 7 year deal. And many in media and amongst fans have simply bought into that story.

* As for the Seravalli tweet about the NHL monitoring possible cap circumvention deals, I think that was simply Seravalli asking the NHL about such cap circumventing deals and getting the same answer about monitoring such deals that he would have gotten six months or even six years ago. I don't think it was Seravalli reporting a statement being put out at this time by the NHL.

* Tanev and the Leafs have discussed a possible extension and Weekes believes the AAV is in the $5M area,

I'm not sure we know anything else. I've seen no reason to believe that both the long term contract and the $5M AAV are both true.

It's quite possible that the Leafs and Tanev have reached a deal to be announced later. It's possible that they are still talking. It's possible that they simply know where each other stand and they'll revisit it early into free agency, each knowing that the other could find a deal they like better.

As for the NHL monitoring these possible cap circumvention deals, you have to remember that the contract itself is not where the violation is occurring but rather it is how the deal is reached which is the violation. Basically, teams and agents are not supposed to make deals that include side agreements like a bigger deal down the road, the player agreeing to retire early before the deal is done, promising the player a front office job after their career, giving the player's spouse a job, etc..

Personallly, in the case of cap circumventing contracts, the NHL probably requires real evidence (emails, text messages, sworn statements by someone involved, etc.) there wsa some kind of actual agreement for the player to retire early or to fake an injury requiring them to be LTIRetired.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Oh good. Not only do we get to sign a mid-30s guy to money and term. We get to spend assets to pointlessly hold his rights for a couple days.
Pointless? They're obviously negotiating a deal that is probably a little more complicated than most. Better to have a couple of days and do this 1 one 1 then to be fighting against 15 other teams for tanev attention

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
In four years?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Pointless? They're obviously negotiating a deal that is probably a little more complicated than most. Better to have a couple of days and do this 1 one 1 then to be fighting against 15 other teams for tanev attention
Why is it complicated? Seems fairly straightforward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad