Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I guess they can make some moves tomorrow, but so far it's run it back with Tanev instead of Brodie.

Which is an upgrade, but not nearly enough to get them over the hump
It always seemed silly to me to make any kind of judgements about a team until the end of training camp when you actually know wha the team will be. But fans are gonna fan.

Kind of getting vibes Tanev isn't going to sign here.

We'll see I guess, but the fact they traded for his rights and they haven't been able to sign him prior to the deadline is a red flag in my opinion.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Anyone else wonder how things might have been if we'd signed Tanev 4 years ago instead of Brodie? Both were the same age. Tanev was injury prone so his contract was half a million less in aav.

Would we have been better off pairing Rielly with Tanev all those years?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Anyone else wonder how things might have been if we'd signed Tanev 4 years ago instead of Brodie? Both were the same age. Tanev was injury prone so his contract was half a million less in aav.

Would we have been better off pairing Rielly with Tanev all those years?
I’ve thought about that as well. A shutdown RD like that can really help a team go deep into the playoffs.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
People losing their mind over 5aav? Guaranteed there's team all over lining up to sign him for that

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
People losing their mind over 5aav? Guaranteed there's team all over lining up to sign him for that
Nylander got $4.5m raise alone. $5m for one of the best shutdown dmen in the league is cheap, especially since we've been looking for one and a partner for Rielly for years. Not only will be be good, he will make Rielly better IMO.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Alright.... after some thinking.... I really think we should walk away from Tanev.

5M aav at his age is just so effing STUPID. his play could just drop off of a cliff after getting retirement package. brodie's play dropped all of a sudden too.

f*** the 7th rounder..... Just walk away from Tanev. Let some other team pay him.

Leafs are not in a position to contend with the shit contracts like marner and tavares on the roster. DO NOT TAKE THIS RISK DO NOT
Hey we are the league’s pension fund..

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I believe the Hyman situation was a legitimate sign and trade.the idea was that Hyman would sign an 8 year deal with Toronto and then be traded to Edmonton for a pick. Supposedly, Dubas wanted a third. Edmonton offered a sixth. Or something like that. In the end, no deal was made.
Ok the sign and trade makes sense. thx

Reactions: rojac

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Tanev was the story of the series that included Mackinnon, Rantanen, Makar, Robertson, and Heiskanen after shutting down Colorado’s top line.

He is an UFA with pretty much every team interested. Obviously you’d love to sign him for a lower AAV, but 5m is reasonable with an increasing cap.
It’s reasonable in a rising cap if your team doesn’t already have over 50% of the new cap tied up in 4 similear forwards. This fact comes back to haunt us every year

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
It’s reasonable in a rising cap if your team doesn’t already have over 50% of the new cap tied up in 4 similear forwards. This fact comes back to haunt us every year
But that's only the case for one more year, when JT's contract expires. Then we have real flexibility.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Sometimes teams don't announce until closer to the deadline too for whatever reason. I'm guessing Tanev is pretty much locked up already.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It always seemed silly to me to make any kind of judgements about a team until the end of training camp when you actually know wha the team will be. But fans are gonna fan.
You are correct, it is still very early plus I like Tanev and Domi, but I am skeptical they make that big move that changes the team.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
How is it insane? Durzi just got 6m per. Bertuzzi is rumoured to sign elsewhere for 5m per. Zadorov is rumoured to be signing for around 6m per on a long term deal.

Any one who pays Zadorov 6 mil deserves to be fired immediately, he is at best a 4, better suited as a 5/6/

Reactions: Nineteen67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad