Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
The main board (trade rumors) is insane. It seems that you can't even post a Chris Tanev rights thread without there being massive flaming and sanctions handed out willy nilly.

Why do non leaf fans have to get so aggressively crazy against anything leafs?
Look at the locations of where the posts are coming from

They generally have no one to talk to about their own team or live in a void like Winnipeg (or equivalent)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Once the Leafs get Chris signed, then BT should be on the phone with Seattle trying to bring his brother Brandon to TO as well.

Let the brothers play to get and rock the opposition with physical punishing play.

Chris might even give the Leafs a discount if Leafs brought his Bro to TO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like the thought process but that was 9 seasons ago…
True, but Chris is the perfect partner for Mo Riells to allow him to press and attack offensively and know that his partner has his back defensively and also the one in the Dzone to help break up the opposition cycle, something that Rielly is not good at and previous partners like Brodie too soft at to do successfully either.

As far as net front presence that will be Tanev's job to make sure the crease is clear and Leaf goalies see the puck.

afcleafs

Mar 9, 2024
My only concern here is Tanev holds the cards on when his career ends.

If Giordano still had 2 more years, he would be playing.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Year 1: 6 million
Year 2: 5 million
Year 3: 3 million
Year 4: 2 million
Year 5: 1 million
Year 6: 1 million

Total: 18 million/6 = 3 million per season.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Year 1: 6 million
Year 2: 5 million
Year 3: 3 million
Year 4: 2 million
Year 5: 1 million
Year 6: 1 million

Total: 18 million/6 = 3 million per season.
Not CBA compliant. The lowest year has to be at least 60% of the highest.

Not sure how a signing bonus works though. Perhaps thats a way to the $ down in the final years, but the cap hit remains the AAV.

Won’t matter anyway as we all believe he’ll be sipping drinks on Robidas island.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I wasn't feeling good today so I went to the doctor.

He told me to take lots of fluid and get plenty of rest. So I drank until I passed out. Woke up to this mess and felt sick again.

Back to the bottom of the bottle it is.

Just when I thought they couldn't possibly disappoint any worse they show me more. What the f*** is wrong with Treliving. Attaching a ball and chain to the stars ankles probably isn't the best idea.

It would've been better to do nothing.

This team needed impact players and instead added an over the hill injury prone hack. If I'm an agent representing some scrub who plays the "right way" and Treliving's sitting across from me all I'm thinking about is how my new porsche is gonna look. The only positive here is they might not get pushed around when they go out in the first round again.

If they even make the playoffs that is.

• Haha
Reactions: mikeyz

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

He told me to take lots of fluid and get plenty of rest. So I drank until I passed out. Woke up to this mess and felt sick again.

Just when I thought they couldn't possibly disappoint any worse they show me more. What the f*** is wrong with Treliving. Attaching a ball and chain to the stars ankles probably isn't the best idea.

This team needed impact players and instead added an over the hill injury prone hack. If I'm an agent representing some scrub who plays the "right way" and Treliving's sitting across from me all I'm thinking about is how my new porsche is gonna look. The only positive here is they might not get pushed around when they go out in the first round again.

Let's see what the price is. If we can secure two years of a strong top 4 defensemen at 35, 36 followed by two years of an experienced bottom pair right defensemen at the ages of 37 and 38 that plays if we have a reasonable cap hit. The big thing is the cap hit and term. If his cap is around 3-3.5 on a longer deal or 4-5 million over 2 years, I'm pretty happy. If it's 4.5-5 million over 5-6 years, then ya this is moronic. But I don't think that will be the case.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Let's see what the price is. If we can secure two years of a strong top 4 defensemen at 35, 36 followed by two years of an experienced bottom pair right defensemen at the ages of 37 and 38 that plays if we have a reasonable cap hit. The big thing is the cap hit and term. If his cap is around 3-3.5 on a longer deal or 4-5 million over 2 years, I'm pretty happy. If it's 4.5-5 million over 5-6 years, then ya this is moronic. But I don't think that will be the case.

Just trading for him two days before his rights expired was moronic enough.

Treliving is a garbage GM. Leafs went from dumb to dumber. Wasting picks and prospects they don't have enough of to secure the rights to a player they could have signed for free less than 48 hours later is about as dumb as it gets.

Another master class in asset management, Toronto Maple Leafs style.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Treliving is a garbage GM. Leafs went from dumb to dumber. Wasting picks and prospects they don't have enough of to secure the rights to a player they could have signed for free less than 48 hours later is about as dumb as it gets.

What if dumping a 7th round (worthless) pick gives them the chance to save on Tanev’s contract because the will not be competing against other bids

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
RIelly--Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren

I like the idea of Tanev as the defensive shutdown partner for Rielly but he probably has 1-2 good years left max. If it's a longer term deal, he might be a useful bottom pair guy in years 3 and 4

Who knows how accurate rumours are, but we haven't been tied to Roy at all, he has no connections to the organization in terms of GM, coach, key players, etc, and he's American. He would be one of my top choices, but he seems unlikely.

Zadorov, Montour, or Lybushkin would be my guesses. Maybe an Ekblad trade, though the trade assets + his new contract and injury history are all concerning.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

I think we need to give him a chance to fix this team but ya he is starting to look more and more like Dubas

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

A seventh and an unqualified RFA for a 48 hour negotiation windows sounds fair.

Reactions: Kurtz and Kazparov

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
What if dumping a 7th round (worthless) pick gives them the chance to save on Tanev’s contract because the will not be competing against other bids

Is Tanev really that hot a commodity there's gonna be a lineup of GM's at his agent's door with a long term mega-million dollar deal for him?

If some other team wants to overpay for him that can only be a good thing.

A seventh and an unqualified RFA for a 48 hour negotiation windows sounds fair.

For a younger, better, less injury prone player.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Is Tanev really that hot a commodity there's gonna be a lineup of GM's at his agent's door with a long term mega-million dollar deal for him?

If some other team wants to overpay for him that can only be a good thing.

For a younger, better, less injury prone player.
Sure that would be fine. It is also a fair price to pay for the rights to Tanev.

Reactions: Kurtz

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
RIelly--Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren

I like the idea of Tanev as the defensive shutdown partner for Rielly but he probably has 1-2 good years left max. If it's a longer term deal, he might be a useful bottom pair guy in years 3 and 4
Yeah, I like that too.
Puckmover on each pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad