Speculation: *Rifai vs. Liljegren. It's a thing and it's happening.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

With the winds of change blowing through the Scotiabank Arena, who will be their 6th D?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We could sign Patches for 1 yr 1M and and Lorentz for 1 yr 775k and if we demoted/traded Timmins and Jarnkrok, it fits on the cap.
I am not sure there's a market for Timmins. Every team has some player who's similar to him. Even Pit, who has the closest ties to him, will probably just wait for the waiver wire.

Jarnkrok may, but I'd rather move Kampf.

Reactions: Its not your fault

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He was probably drafted too high and has always been thought of as a bottom pair D. He’s never been fast, but he hasn’t been strong enough, and maybe with added weight he’ll improve. He’s played under 200 games.

The biggest issue is the GM forgot there was a salary cap when he signed him.

In case you may have forgotten how highly he was rated

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
"I actually have Rifai making the team right now as the 7th defenseman...just because of how low his contract is."

James Mirtle (Athletic) The Leaf Report

Although I don't take his opinions too seriously.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am not sure there's a market for Timmins. Every team has some player who's similar to him. Even Pit, who has the closest ties to him, will probably just wait for the waiver wire.

Jarnkrok may, but I'd rather move Kampf.

I think CBJ could take Jarnkrok

Maybe another year with Kampf

Timmins is waiver wire but if someone like LAK who had injuries wanted to make sure they got him, a 6th-7th in the next 1-2 years is sufficient.

"I actually have Rifai making the team right now as the 7th defenseman...just because of how low his contract is."

He lost his Dubas connection

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

In case you may have forgotten how highly he was rated
I remember when he was drafted and how many were saying he projects to be a bottom pair D. When he eventually made it to the AHL sentiment was confirmed by those that watched him. Appears they assessed him properly.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I'm done with Liljegren. He just a guy. He doesn't do anything particularly well. He makes too much to be "just a guy".
You need depth on D to succeed. Lilly is a good depth piece with some offensive upside. Much like Timmins but he’s more durable.

There’s no way Rifai makes the team. He plays tough but is at best an injury replacement in the NHL. He’s a lousy puck mover.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lily is pretty vanilla. If he wasn’t a former 1st rounder and RHD, he would have been cut loose long ago

This tracks... it's why we held onto Sandin or it is why Timmins has been given all the chances in the world.

Maybe they just see more potential?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Lily paired with Rafai and Benoit and Timmins paired together again. I think it’s more to do with Berube liking Timmins more than Lily. Rafai is 8th on the depth chart at best.
I don't disagree with that. But Rifai makes significantly less - when talking bottom of lineup guys. Hard to pay over a million for a guy who spends more time out of the lineup than in.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You need depth on D to succeed. Lilly is a good depth piece with some offensive upside. Much like Timmins but he’s more durable.

There’s no way Rifai makes the team. He plays tough but is at best an injury replacement in the NHL. He’s a lousy puck mover.
I don't think I would ever describe Liljegren as "durable".

Mar 12, 2009
Maybe. Or maybe some of us feel that some kind of change is going to happen.

Like Treliving changing his mind about giving 3 million a season to a soft playoff healthy scratch.
I think the problem is, Leaf nation goes crazy and think that they "feel" something happening, and are 99% of the time wrong...do they ever check themselves? No. They just continue with their "feeling", believing it's right and never reckoning with the fact it's been wrong time over time.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think the problem is, Leaf nation goes crazy and think that they "feel" something happening, and are 99% of the time wrong...do they ever check themselves? No. They just continue with their "feeling", believing it's right and never reckoning with the fact it's been wrong time over time.
I'm sorry you feel that way about your hf experience.

I don't spend my time crafting fictional trade scenarios to excite or outrage fans.

I read articles, I speak with fans who have been following the team since the 60's, I listen to all sorts of analysis, and most importantly I have perfect 20/20 vision.

Liljegren has 1 choice right now: he has to prove that he's a top 4 defenseman. If he can't keep fighting his way to that spot, then he's an overpaid bottom 6 defenseman.

On a team who's so close to cap, who's under pressure to win now, where every nickel counts; the focus will be on Lil.

Are there better options/cheaper options for the bottom 6? Many think there is.

What is Liljegren's contribution to Toronto? 0 goals and 1 assist in 13 playoff games? This is not good at all if you consider him to be someone known for his offensive play. Is he a defensive defenseman? I don't think he's good enough to call himself that.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Benoit and Hakanpaa are both lousy puck movers, if Rifai replaces someone it is likely one of those two.

I don't understand some of the moves we made, we have so many repetitive positions or barely upgraded at positions, it feels like moves were made to make moves, not because it improved the team.

They probably could have used some of that wasted cap on depth to upgrade some other spots.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Why would that "be risky"? Why do you consider that "wishful thinking"?
timmins is the worst positional defencemen we have out of the 8 fighting for a spot and its by a considerable margin thats why it would be risky

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
timmins is the worst positional defencemen we have out of the 8 fighting for a spot and its by a considerable margin thats why it would be risky

It's crazy how bad he is defensively and yet when he is on the ice, the team does the best out of any D we have.

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 10.07.20 AM.png

Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad