Speculation: *Rifai vs. Liljegren. It's a thing and it's happening.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

With the winds of change blowing through the Scotiabank Arena, who will be their 6th D?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I have liked the play of Myers even more than Rafai.
Monster mean guy that can skate. RHD 6'6" should be our 7th D.

Reminds me a lot of a guy we had briefly and let him go Ben Hutton.
Never understood why we didnt find a way to keep him.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm no fan of Liljegren either.

But I'm pretty sure he's better than Rifai. Maybe not by a whole lot though. And for a cap strapped team like the Leafs it ultimately comes down to value for these bottom of the roster chumps.

Who gives you more bang for your buck.

For example Liljegren is probably better than Benoit too. But I like what Benoit brings to the table more than what Liljegren provides. And for their current cap hits I'd rather have Benoit on the team.

At $3M Liljegren can't be the seventh.

That should be a vet who isn't gonna miss any development sitting for half the games. He should only step on the ice when one of the top six gets banged up too close to game time to replace him with a call up. Gio was perfect for that role.

So unless Liljegren takes a MASSIVE unexepected step this year I don't foresee good things in his future as a Leafs player.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hakanpaa LTIR for 10 games isn't out of the question, is it? I'm sure he could use another 3 weeks rehab? Make a decision then. Regardless, we're looking at a very small sample size here. Especially with only 1 RH on the nights Rifai gets in.

I'm in the not wanting to give up on Liljegren yet camp. I really want to give him 1 more year. I agree however that he might be a cap casualty, but worried of selling low.

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
OEL Liljegren
Rifai

Pretty obvious Timmins is getting waived regardless. That $325K extra cap is probably the tie break between him and Rifai. Would he be taken? $1.1M for a 6 on a bad team isn't out of the question I guess?

Kind of worried about Tanev.

Habs ran him, pushed him around easily.

Tavares did the same thing in scrimmage/practice.

For clarity, Liljegren was taken out of line-up for Brodie for 1 game and immediately returned to the line-up the next game.

FYI: Rielly and Lyubuskin were on for the series losing goal.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Both were limited in what they can do, but size and strength won out for Benoit and I think we all felt better with him playing over Liljegren.

I didn't feel good when either were playing.

It's weird the "results matter" crew is now saying the player with the worst results was good.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I no longer have any faith left in Liljegren. I just don't see any improvement over the last few years, and he only stands out for his mistakes.

I'd prefer Benoit and/or Rifai.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Lily paired with Rafai and Benoit and Timmins paired together again. I think it’s more to do with Berube liking Timmins more than Lily. Rafai is 8th on the depth chart at best.

Reactions: ACC1224

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Berube isn't going to like Marner's soft game or Lliy's soft game.

Especially soft D men.

The only soft D man left might be Mo.

Lily is going to be moved. His key attribute is he's a RHD.

The goal is to play different hockey. Lily is a barrier to that.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Berube isn't going to like Marner's soft game or Lliy's soft game.

Especially soft D men.

The only soft D man left might be Mo.

Lily is going to be moved. His key attribute is he's a RHD.

The goal is to play different hockey. Lily is a barrier to that.

1. you don't know what soft means
2. you listed some of the hardest workers on the team which will likely be well received

Some of you are in for a rude awakening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad