Ridiculous things you used to think about hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
For me sadly it was that I thought Plus/Minus on the stats sheet (once totaled at the end of the year) was for the sole purpose of EA adjusting players attributes on their NHL games.

Clearly, I wasn't the brightest of kids. What made matters worse is that I only found out what it was for during math class as the teacher asked us about it. Very arrogantly I explained my theory, after years of thinking this, I was corrected and humbled very quickly.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I watched that guy when he was in Brandon. Dude could put the puck in the twine. I lived in Toon town then. Yake was total ginger beef.
i grew up a whalers fan and became a ducks fan after they moved. yake was the first name that came to mind when i joined hf

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
i grew up a whalers fan and became a ducks fan after they moved. yake was the first name that came to mind when i joined hf
Ok. That’s neat. The HFB circle of life. Are you from SoCal? I live in Saskatchewan 6 months a year and AZ the other 6 mo. I’ve been to a few games at the Pond. Probably go to a few more now that local NHL hockey is absent in AZ.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Ok. That’s neat. The HFB circle of life. Are you from SoCal? I live in Saskatchewan 6 months a year and AZ the other 6 mo. I’ve been to a few games at the Pond. Probably go to a few more now that local NHL hockey is absent in AZ.
yes. moved here from CT when i was 12

Reactions: brentashton

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When I was younger, I assumed that my Koho Jagr replacement blade was a carbon copy of the blade he used in real life. Later I'd realize that most companies had a relatively short list of retail curves and would semi-randomly assign based on which players they had signed as endorsers.

I recall asking a beer league teammate if he had tried the Easton Lidstrom curve and he said something like "No that's for defensemen." After Lidstrom's contract with Easton expired, the curve was then assigned to Ryan Getzlaf.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
As a kid I used to think NHL teams were dumb for not hiring some enormous sumo wrestler or fat guy to play goalie.

I still think it would work for most leagues.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Goalie superstition of hitting both sides of goal with stick before game. Do some goalies even do that still?

Last edited:

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb
Thank you for this thread, this is a gold mine of positive energy.

Even though a watched a bit hockey as a kid in Germany, I knew to little to even have wrong theories.

Can only remember, while watching a game, the adults not being interested in the game, but when a hockey fight broke out, everyone was like :DD

Reactions: Keke and Nogatco Rd

Magic 8 Ball

Sep 27, 2021
The Netherworld
As a beer league goalie, while watching an NHL game, I used to think I could have stopped that shot. Until I played shinny against a former NHLer. This 3rd/4th line tough guy showed me that I, in fact, couldn't have stopped that. And the only puck I stopped was one that he shot right into my pads, I'm sure to make me feel better.

This was in the mid 90s, and the equipment and style was so different than now. Now, I'm starting to again think I could have stopped that shot.

Reactions: Brodeur

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I used to let hockey ruin my mental health this much... lol.

1726235698761.png

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I got the SNES game 'NHL Stanley Cup' for Christmas as a young kid, and after playing it for a while I started wondering why in real games goaltenders weren't shaking their ass all the time while skating toward center ice.

Has anyone else been traumatized by that game as much as I was?

• Haha
Reactions: DitchMarner

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Only had radio when young. Even today much prefer listening to a radio broadcast than watching on TV.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
When I was around the age of 5/6 or so, when the announcers said they were "going to Toronto" for a goal review, I thought it meant that the Leafs were going to decide if it was a goal or not.

It also took me too long to realize that New Jersey's logo spelled out NJ, because I looked at it like some kind of backwards lowercase H, and that Philadelphia's logo was actually a flying P.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
As a beer league goalie, while watching an NHL game, I used to think I could have stopped that shot. Until I played shinny against a former NHLer. This 3rd/4th line tough guy showed me that I, in fact, couldn't have stopped that. And the only puck I stopped was one that he shot right into my pads, I'm sure to make me feel better.

This was in the mid 90s, and the equipment and style was so different than now. Now, I'm starting to again think I could have stopped that shot.

There's that undying part of me as a 20 year beer league goalie veteran that thinks I somehow wouldn't completely embarrass myself against professionals.

My reality check was several years back when my buddy told me he was bringing a ringer to pickup, some guy who played D1 NCAA. For most of the session he was just coasting since he naturally had nothing to prove. But towards the end he got on a breakaway against me. I remember thinking "alright buddy, let's see what you got."

And homeboy deked me out of my jock. I can't stress enough that he was giving like 1% effort. My ego was further bruised when I got home and looked him up on hockeydb to learn that he was a D1 healthy scratch. If a D1 healthy scratch who was barely trying could make me look foolish, I'd hate to see what an NHLer who was trying would do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad