Value of: Rick Nash and a minor prospect/pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I think the Rangers see Gropp as a Nash type of player in the future, I don't think they will move him.

JFC :help:

prior to the draft

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Ryan-Gropp

after the draft, the Ranger site quoted the first link.

"Who He Plays Like: This may be quite the extravagant comparison, but I think he plays a lot like New York Rangers' forward Rick Nash, in the sense that he's very aggressive on the forecheck and difficult to play against due to his complete package."

Cal Clutterbuck is a Rick Nash type player.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
JFC :help:

"Who He Plays Like: This may be quite the extravagant comparison, but I think he plays a lot like New York Rangers' forward Rick Nash, in the sense that he's very aggressive on the forecheck and difficult to play against due to his complete package."

If you're going to tell me that Clutterbuck has Gropp's skill set, then you're sadly mistaken and I'm not even that high on Gropp.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
I like to talk a lot of crap about Nash because it's easy but I've always liked him, too bad he plays for the Rangers because I would like to see him play as a Devil. A three way trade would have to be involved because the Devils and Rangers don't trade together

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Nope. I was only responding to 'NYR sees Gropp as a Nash-type' which is worthy of a facepalm or a headshake. And I don't recall mentioning anything about Edmonton in this thread.

Well there still is this......."I didn't make the comparison up. Apparently other people compare Gropps game to Nash. Nobody is saying he will actually turn into Nash. But you are taking that rather literally. The fact that you can't seem to comprehend that some might see similarities between the to is simply on you."

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Only minus any offensive skill....but sure, exactly like Nash.:shakehead

I can't fathom why you guys seem so offended by some bloggers comparison of a prospect to a guy who they think he plays like or could project to be similar......it is all opinion. Nobody is saying Gropp is going to be Rick Nash. They might be hoping it.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Only minus any offensive skill....but sure, exactly like Nash.:shakehead

I can't fathom why you guys seem so offended by some bloggers comparison of a prospect to a guy who they think he plays like or could project to be similar......it is all opinion. Nobody is saying Gropp is going to be Rick Nash. They might be hoping it.
I'm not offended at all. I find it hilarious.

If you're going to tell me that Clutterbuck has Gropp's skill set, then you're sadly mistaken and I'm not even that high on Gropp.

The point was that what the guy wrote is meaningless and applies to a huge amount of players. From fantastic players line Nash to fourth liners line clutterbuck.

I doubt the rangers think he'll have a career remotely similar to nash even if he has a similar play style. The former is way more important than the later

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The point was that what the guy wrote is meaningless and applies to a huge amount of players. From fantastic players line Nash to fourth liners line clutterbuck.

I doubt the rangers think he'll have a career remotely similar to nash even if he has a similar play style. The former is way more important than the later

So if the same guy wrote that McDavid has the ability to be as good as Crosby, that would have been meaningless too?

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
So if the same guy wrote that McDavid has the ability to be as good as Crosby, that would have been meaningless too?
The person who said it is meaningless. The reasoning matters. In the gropp nash case it was stupid, thus the comparison was meaningless. A mcdavid crosby comparison would be made on talent not style. See the difference?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well there still is this......."I didn't make the comparison up. Apparently other people compare Gropps game to Nash. Nobody is saying he will actually turn into Nash. But you are taking that rather literally. The fact that you can't seem to comprehend that some might see similarities between the to is simply on you."

I think the Rangers see Gropp as a Nash type of player in the future, I don't think they will move him.

I didn't respond to what you meant, I responded to what you said.

Thank you for clarifying.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I didn't respond to what you meant, I responded to what you said.

Thank you for clarifying.

What I posted was based on a narrative someone else said. Being around several of the Ranger sites, the comparison seems to be what people are going with. I still don't understand the issue you take with it. Do you know anything about Gropp to have such a negative stance on the comparison or is it purely based on the fact he is not literally Rick Nash.....because you can disagree with the comparison and throw a fit if you want, you haven't really said much as to why other than he isn't accomplished like Nash, but only you are making a literal comparison and can't differentiate between Rick Nash and a prospect that plays reminiscent to his style. I'm pretty sure almost everyone else can comprehend what a projection comparison is, especially when it comes to this sport and assessing future talent that is currently an unknown.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You're completely missing the concept of the phrase "[insert player]-type player", and completely glossed over that that blog said it was an extravagant comparison.

Well, you are glossing over the fact that the guy made the comparison regardless of saying it was extravagant in the first place. I don't even know if it is off based at this point but why is such a big deal being made about nothing? People make comparisons about players all the time. Why is this one being taken so literally?

Do you have a better comparison of Gropp?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad