Value of: Rick Nash and a minor prospect/pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We should not have to add to Nash. Retaining on him would increase his value enough.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I'm one of the biggest Nash detractors around. I did not want to trade for him back when he was a Blue Jacket. I also think it's hilarious that about two seconds after he switches sweaters, he goes from "top 5 forward in the game!" on here to "negative value." Keep HF-ing, HFBoards.

That said, it would be idiotic to trade Nash right now. Idiotic. His value is on the low end as a result of his injured season last year. The time to move him is at the deadline--regardless of how the team is doing. Let him bounce back and score some goals and then deal him as a rental. He'd be gone in the expansion draft either way.

Why do we trade him right now? Because we have a lot of wingers? 70% of the wingers we have can (and probably should) spend a little bit of time in the minors still. Salary? His salary isn't hurting us one bit right now. The team actually still has a bit of a cushion.

Why move what could be a prime asset a few months from now right this second, when there is nothing really forcing the team's hand?

Wait--let the younger players get a bit of seasoning, and sell Nash as a rental during the season.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
With some healthy salary retention Nash could have decent value. I'd take him on the Blues in that scenario, but it would probably have to be a weird deal for both sides to be happy. Something along the lines of Nash (with 3M retained) + for Shattenkirk and a lesser +.

If the Rangers are unwilling to retain salary then they're probably better off just keeping him, and that might be the case regardless. If he rebounds this year he'll be worth a hell of a lot more than he is right now.

He's just a massive gamble for a team to take him on at full salary. Sure, he scored 42 in '14-15, but is that the guy you're getting? He's 32, and in the two surrounding seasons he failed to reach 40 points.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm one of the biggest Nash detractors around. I did not want to trade for him back when he was a Blue Jacket. I also think it's hilarious that about two seconds after he switches sweaters, he goes from "top 5 forward in the game!" on here to "negative value." Keep HF-ing, HFBoards.

It has nothing to do with the sweater he wears.

1) He was a consistent 30G, 60 point player with Columbus. Now, he's had 2 bad seasons out of his last 3 in NY, including the worse of his career this past season.

2) He was 27 when he left CLB, he'll be 32 to start this season.

3) He never missed more than 7 games in a season his last 6 seasons in CLB. Yet he's missed 18 and 22 in two of his last 3 in NY.

4) While his cap hit is the same, his salary is escalating and he'll get $8M and $8.2M these next two seasons, the most he's ever been paid.

I watched him at the end of last season and do think people are putting too much weight on this past season, think he DOES have value (although at his salary/cap hit not as many teams can take him on, and also think he has more left in the tank, but his "perceived" value has nothing to do with the sweater he's now wearing. It has to do with the factors I listed above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad