Rewatching Game of Thrones

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I know I haven't finished my season 6 thoughts yet but I have to talk about about season 7 episode "Beyond the Wall" because I am absolutely furious right now.

What starts off as a fairly promising episode of many interesting characters getting together beyond the wall, might be the worst episode in all of GOT. The banter between the Hound and some others was good. That's about where the good ends.

They ambush a group of the dead and capture one. They wait until it's already screeched to cover its mouth. Stupid but whatever I can live with it.

Then the army of the dead comes and they get saved by the ice cracking and the dead not being able to swim. But wait, some can because they pop back up and attack them in the second battle there.

Gender runs back and gets word to Ser Davis who has their maester send word to Danny, who is about as far away on the continent as you could be from the North. And somehow the news gets there on time, she flies all the way up the continent, and saves them just in time. Braindead writing. Even if the dragon is as fast as a modern jet, the pigeon getting there would've taken days, if not weeks.

But wait, it gets even worse. To trigger the second battle accidentally, the hound throws a few stones at the dead and they realize the water is now frozen enough to cross. Why they weren't trying to cross before this is wild, especially when they have essentially infinite numbers.

So the dead attack again, and the Hound easily smashes through the ice. Why wouldn't they have done this beforehand to guarantee their safety longer? Not to mention, hundreds of bodies on the apparently weak ice would have fallen through if a simple hit from a hammer smashed through it like paper.

But wait, it gets worse still. Dany and the dragons, busy training with Goku in the hyperbolic time chamber, use instant transmission to get there and save the day (even though dragons wouldn't go beyond the wall previously). The white walkers are prepared for this though, and use a frozen spear weapon to take down one of her flying dragons, while she and the entire crew except John, sit on the dragon about to leave. Why he didn't use it on Drogon, the biggest, most powerful, and non flying dragon was honestly insulting to watch.

But hold on, John is going to continue to fight the dead even though they're all ready to leave. He gets dragged into the water while doing so. Somehow he swims back up and is saved by former character, long turned 100% plot device of the North, Benjen Stark. Why did the dead start to leave anyway? They're shown a few scenes later dragging the dragon out of the water to be turned. Somehow they made this one of the more relatively believable parts of the episode due to the sheer amount of idiotic writing.

This episode had to have more plot convenience and awful writing than the previous 6 seasons combined. Honestly it was insulting to watch. Especially when you consider all of the great characters who comprised this group and all they've been through. I understand they needed a way to get the army of the dead past the wall, but by god, the stupid theories of them walking on the frozen sea would've been better than this.

I don't know if I can keep watching this show after this episode. Might take a break for a while. I remembered it being bad but not quite this braindead.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I know I haven't finished my season 6 thoughts yet but I have to talk about about season 7 episode "Beyond the Wall" because I am absolutely furious right now.

What starts off as a fairly promising episode of many interesting characters getting together beyond the wall, might be the worst episode in all of GOT. The banter between the Hound and some others was good. That's about where the good ends.

They ambush a group of the dead and capture one. They wait until it's already screeched to cover its mouth. Stupid but whatever I can live with it.

Then the army of the dead comes and they get saved by the ice cracking and the dead not being able to swim. But wait, some can because they pop back up and attack them in the second battle there.

Gender runs back and gets word to Ser Davis who has their maester send word to Danny, who is about as far away on the continent as you could be from the North. And somehow the news gets there on time, she flies all the way up the continent, and saves them just in time. Braindead writing. Even if the dragon is as fast as a modern jet, the pigeon getting there would've taken days, if not weeks.

But wait, it gets even worse. To trigger the second battle accidentally, the hound throws a few stones at the dead and they realize the water is now frozen enough to cross. Why they weren't trying to cross before this is wild, especially when they have essentially infinite numbers.

So the dead attack again, and the Hound easily smashes through the ice. Why wouldn't they have done this beforehand to guarantee their safety longer? Not to mention, hundreds of bodies on the apparently weak ice would have fallen through if a simple hit from a hammer smashed through it like paper.

But wait, it gets worse still. Dany and the dragons, busy training with Goku in the hyperbolic time chamber, use instant transmission to get there and save the day (even though dragons wouldn't go beyond the wall previously). The white walkers are prepared for this though, and use a frozen spear weapon to take down one of her flying dragons, while she and the entire crew except John, sit on the dragon about to leave. Why he didn't use it on Drogon, the biggest, most powerful, and non flying dragon was honestly insulting to watch.

But hold on, John is going to continue to fight the dead even though they're all ready to leave. He gets dragged into the water while doing so. Somehow he swims back up and is saved by former character, long turned 100% plot device of the North, Benjen Stark. Why did the dead start to leave anyway? They're shown a few scenes later dragging the dragon out of the water to be turned. Somehow they made this one of the more relatively believable parts of the episode due to the sheer amount of idiotic writing.

This episode had to have more plot convenience and awful writing than the previous 6 seasons combined. Honestly it was insulting to watch. Especially when you consider all of the great characters who comprised this group and all they've been through. I understand they needed a way to get the army of the dead past the wall, but by god, the stupid theories of them walking on the frozen sea would've been better than this.

I don't know if I can keep watching this show after this episode. Might take a break for a while. I remembered it being bad but not quite this braindead.
Right there with ya pal. It was funny because at the time if you were making this post when the episode aired, half the internet would've been calling you an edgelord or something for being too nitpicky.

When that group first leaves the wall and is heading out, INSANELY cool. So many different characters all together at once to go to some badass shit (as completely stupid as it was). But it just falls apart as soon as the story begins.

1) Gendry runs for what, tens of miles, if not a hundred miles, through the freezing cold mountains. He's fast enough to get word to Dany who is then fast enough to get all the way the hell over there.

2) The Night King hurls a spear at what must've been 300 god damn MPH with how far away he was and how quickly he hit that dragon. If he has that kind of strength it should just be end game right there

3) Somehow these skeletons can drag a thousand + feet of heavy metal chains from somewhere and pull up a huge dragon

So much of the last 2 seasons were "all killer, no filler", just a bunch of cool scenes that make absolutely zero sense. Like Bron saving Jaime somehow from being melted alive seconds beforehand and then they just swim to safety off the edge of a little lake or something LOL.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I remember that HF did a casting draft for GoT awhile back, I can't seem to find the thread, but I did find my picks:

1. Andy Serkis as Tyrion Lannister
2. Emily Blunt as Cersei Lannister
3. Alan Rickman as Tywin Lannister
4. Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Jon Snow
5. Chloe Grace Moretz as Daenerys Targaryen
6. Clive Owen as Stannis Baratheon
7. Cilian Murphy as Ramsay Bolton
8. Robert Downey Jr. as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
9. Hugh Jackman as Eddard Stark
10. Ian McShane as Barristan the Bold
11. Karl Urban as Jamie Lannister
12. Jennifer Connelly as Catelyn Stark
I have trouble picturing almost all those actors in those roles. Maybe Murphy as Ramsey and McShane as Barristan would work. Owen could be good as Stannis but too young and handsome for the role. The others seem like very odd choices to me or in Rhys Meyers case just a bad actor.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just finished season 6 episode 9 "Battle of the Bastards". I'll probably add a bit more after watching the finale but I've gotta post my thoughts now on the season while I'm on this GOT high.

They really loved to make episode 9s of seasons the big climax type episodes. I enjoyed this season so much more than season 5. Probably because we got the payoff of multiple storylines that were mostly building up the last few seasons.

There's still the crown militant stuff going on in KL. It feels less focused on this season which I liked. I forgot Tommen joined their side surprising Cersei, Olenna, etc. The actress who plays Olenna is fantastic. I didn't read the books but I love her "take no shit" character. Margaery is great as well.

Jamie's plot line with the Blackfish and the Freys at Riverrun was fine enough. I enjoyed the dialogue with him and the Blackfish's nephew. It was a smart plan to retake the castle without losing a lot of his men. I will say I was a bit disappointed we don't get to see any of the blackfish in action after all the hyping up they did with him.

Arya's no one storyline finally goes somewhere. Her getting revenge on the faceless woman after she was abused for a while was satisfying. Her taking multiple stab wounds in the stomach and surviving was a little difficult to believe but I suppose other characters came back from similar or worse. I remember hating this storyline when it first came out but being able to watch it without waiting for weekly episodes made it a lot better for me.

The return of the Hound. YES. f*** YES. I remember being so happy he was back on my original watch. Same with this time. His little group being slaughtered had me so pissed. The leader, whose name I forget, really had an impact on the Hound and it showed. Perhaps the first person who thought of the Hound as a person/friend in the show. Such a great character I'm happy they brought back.

And finally the North storyline. With Tywin dead, the North plotlines are the best in the show imo. Finally the Starks get some vengeance after being f***ed over for 5 seasons. I remember at the time, people were a bit upset the knights of the vale saved John's side because it was pretty predictable. They literally show Sansa writing to little finger though. I think part of the issue with this show watching originally was that it was so nitpicked and scrutinized that there couldn't really be any twists that hadn't come up already. So yeah the Vale saving them was predictable but it made sense. Watching Ramsey die to his own dogs was very satisfying. RIP the giant who gave everything so they could retake Winterfell. Poor Rickon dying right before he could get back to John. But it did give us one of the best shots in all of GOT imo. John unsheathing his sword and accepting his fate then being saved by his troops last second was just so good. The piles of bodies in that fight were hard to stomach looking at. Such a brutal fight.

Overall, a really good season. I just realized I forgot the Mereen storyline. I'll add that after I watch the final episode. Sorry for the essay. Caffeine with the battle of the bastards is a hell of a drug.
I always felt like Season 6 was overly criticized. It didn't reach the heights of the first four seasons by any means but it was easily a better watch than 5, 7, and 8.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I always felt like Season 6 was overly criticized. It didn't reach the heights of the first four seasons by any means but it was easily a better watch than 5, 7, and 8.
After a quick refresher of which specific plotlines were in which season, I'm not sure I'd agree.

Ramsey is just godawful - stupidly, annoyingly competent and evil. Bran ceases to become even vaguely interesting. The entire Faceless Men plot was pointless and awful. Cersei blowing everyone up and then seizing power was stupid and the High Sparrow plot was always hamfisted and bad. Euron is just a stupider and more annoying version of Ramsey. Fireproof Daenerys was always stupid too, and she remains a "hero" despite being plainly hypocritical, incompetent, and insane.

I remember a bunch of shocking moments, but everything was still in the process of falling apart or otherwise not good.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
How do you book readers feel about GRR Martin dragging his ass with finishing the books? I’d love to start reading the series but if they’re not finished then what’s the point?

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
He's lost all interest in finishing the series, but he also knows his popularity is tied to it so he doesn't want to come out say it's not happening.
It's pretty obvious considering he would rather do any other project than finishing the books. That's why i never bothered with the series despite being intrigued by it. If the author does not even care to ever give a conclusion to his story, then i don't see why i should care about said story.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
The only role I really had a problem with was Renly Baratheon.

My impression (from the books IIRC) is that he was meant to represent Robert in his prime, charismatic and larger than life, only instead of martial pursuits, his interests were more decadent.

I dug up his physical description from the book wiki:

Renly on the show is not very impressive at all.

I remember that HF did a casting draft for GoT awhile back, I can't seem to find the thread, but I did find my picks:

1. Andy Serkis as Tyrion Lannister
2. Emily Blunt as Cersei Lannister
3. Alan Rickman as Tywin Lannister
4. Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Jon Snow
5. Chloe Grace Moretz as Daenerys Targaryen
6. Clive Owen as Stannis Baratheon
7. Cilian Murphy as Ramsay Bolton
8. Robert Downey Jr. as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
9. Hugh Jackman as Eddard Stark
10. Ian McShane as Barristan the Bold
11. Karl Urban as Jamie Lannister
12. Jennifer Connelly as Catelyn Stark
Rickman as Tywin would be intriguing, I personally would be more inclined to go with Jason Issacs

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sorry, didn't think you'd get offended over critique of a silly exercise.

I'm not upset, it's obviously up to the viewer so I'm not going to waste too much time justifying my selections.

You either get them or you don't.

I mean, Stannis is 34 in the books so I'm not sure how that doesn't align with Clive Owen (who was 37 when Season 1 aired) but whatever.

Objectively, Kit Harrington is a terrible actor so virtually anyone would be an improvement in that area.

Depending on whether you read the books before watching the show or not, you may have different ideas of what the characters look like, particularly given the physical descriptions in the text.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm not upset, it's obviously up to the viewer so I'm not going to waste too much time justifying my selections.

You either get them or you don't.

I mean, Stannis is 34 in the books so I'm not sure how that doesn't align with Clive Owen (who was 37 when Season 1 aired) but whatever.

Objectively, Kit Harrington is a terrible actor so virtually anyone would be an improvement in that area.

Depending on whether you read the books before watching the show or not, you may have different ideas of what the characters look like, particularly given the physical descriptions in the text.
Fair enough. It's been a long time since I read the books and completely forgot Stannis is only 34. That being said, 34 in the GOT universe is the same as being about 50 in the real world. Robb was only 13 or 14 when the series started. Agreed on Harrington though. I will say there's been times I've thought an actor was a terrible casting choice and they worked out fine so a lot of these actors may have did the same. The group you picked definitely has more talent than the actual cast. I have trouble seeing Blunt and Urban as golden haired Lannisters but I suppose some hair dye could really do wonders.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have trouble seeing Blunt and Urban as golden haired Lannisters but I suppose some hair dye could really do wonders.

As you say, pretty easily solved.

1722024898327.png
1722024973850.png

Agreed on Harrington though. I will say there's been times I've thought an actor was a terrible casting choice and they worked out fine so a lot of these actors may have did the same.

Of the Starks, I liked Eddard and Robb. I found the others to be relatively weak, and were propped up by the actors they were acting with and the story/script.

It may not be fair, in that I suspect the actors portraying Bran, Jon, Sansa and Arya weren't very seasoned actors as is typical with younger roles.

There's a bit of an issue (same thing happens with Stranger Things) where the warts in their ability begin to show as they and their roles age into adulthood and they struggle to adapt.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
As you say, pretty easily solved.

View attachment 897269
View attachment 897271

Of the Starks, I liked Eddard and Robb. I found the others to be relatively weak, and were propped up by the actors they were acting with and the story/script.

It may not be fair, in that I suspect the actors portraying Bran, Jon, Sansa and Arya weren't very seasoned actors as is typical with younger roles.

There's a bit of an issue (same thing happens with Stranger Things) where the warts in their ability begin to show as they and their roles age into adulthood and they struggle to adapt.
They were the two I liked best but I did think the actress who played Catelyn was good. I agree on the younger ones struggling as they aged which is something I've definitely seen in other shows including Stranger Things.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's pretty obvious considering he would rather do any other project than finishing the books. That's why i never bothered with the series despite being intrigued by it. If the author does not even care to ever give a conclusion to his story, then i don't see why i should care about said story.
At this point I'm just expecting GRRM to write a Fire and Blood style extended summary of his ending of the story rather than a proper duo of novels. Unless he's been working on a Dream of Spring simultaneously and he's already close with both, I can't see how he possibly finishes both before he dies. He and/or his estate would still make money off of an abridged ending to his story.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It’s kind of hard to do a cast draft with people that no one knows.

“I think Dalton Smith would have made an excellent Eddard.”

Anyway, just a fun little exercise from a few years back.
Indeed. In my experience, such discussions quickly devolve into finger-pointing disputes only tangentially related to the casting decisions. Specifically, un-nuanced verbal rows about the merits of Lord Palmerston vs. those of Pitt the Elder.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad