Revisiting the Disastrous Kotkaniemi Offer Sheet By Carolina

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Danault, Hyman, Trochek, Kadri- what?
kadri- lolz, an awful contract and poor fit for us.
trocheck didnt want to come back

kk couldnt have affected either Danault or Hyman because signed well before KK. Saad was the same way.

You have nothing but absurdity that you are holding onto.

You could have held onto Vince Trocheck!
trocheck didnt want to come back but i dont expect you to have any actual truth to talk about. still nothing you have

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
kadri- lolz, an awful contract and poor fit for us.
trocheck didnt want to come back

kk couldnt have affected either Danault or Hyman because signed well before KK. Saad was the same way.

trocheck didnt want to come back but i dont expect you to have any actual truth to talk about. still nothing you have
Perron, Burakovsky, Nikushkin, Domi...... Plus all the players you could have traded for.

Claiming KK was the best you could have gotten is idiotic. You must know this!!

Doing nothing is better than acquiring KK.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Perron, Burakovsky, Nikushkin, Domi...... Plus all the players you could have traded for.

Claiming KK was the best you could have gotten is idiotic. You must know this!!

Doing nothing is better than acquiring KK.
we actually did acquire domi so what are you talking about?

kk had no affect on Nikushkin. he signed with colorado in 2019.

Perron? blues held on to their roster how would the canes have got him?

burakovsky was a expansion draft pick up and before that traded in 2019 kk was 2021. washington already showed they werent moving players to us after they refused a better 2nd from us in return for Grubauer.
you are just making up hypotheticals player options that dont make any sense based on timing or ability to have KK's cap hit affect it. you got nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
we actually did acquire domi so what are you talking about?

kk had no affect on Nikushkin. he signed with colorado in 2019.

Perron? blues held on to their roster how would the canes have got him?

burakovsky was a expansion draft pick up and before that traded in 2019 kk was 2021. washington already showed they werent moving players to us after they refused a better 2nd from us in return for Grubauer.
you are just making up hypotheticals player options that dont make any sense based on timing or ability to have KK's cap hit affect it. you got nothing.
All of those options were better than KK. And you save the 1st round pick +. You are just moving the goal posts from dumb, to dumber to dumberer.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Oh it’s been a nothing move. I was never impressed with it as I didn’t think KK had showed enough offense and didn’t think he was a great choice for 2C. It’s been a bad move.

“Revenge sheet”? Nah.

As for that last sentence, let us know next time you think you’ll make the playoffs.
We went further in the playoffs than your current core (or even the one before that) ever has 2 years ago. So much for that flawless, great organization praised by all it's fans right?

That really wasn't the burn you though it was.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
All of those options were better than KK. And you save the 1st round pick +. You are just moving the goal posts from dumb, to dumber to dumberer.
Lol. Its just you. I do thoroughly appreciate the expected trek through this as kk lives rent free in your head

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Says the guy whose team took that return for KK and turned it into Christian Dvorak.
At the end of the day - there's plenty of egg on people's faces to go around. MON for essentially wasting a 3rd OA draft pick, and CAR for likely having a $1M of dead cap per year until 2036.

2018 was a really tough draft year. Holy crap there were a lot of guys who have underperformed - Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Boquist, Kravtsov, Wahlstrom is essentially half the top 11 picks.

2019: Kakko, Turcotte, Broberg, Podkolzin, Soderstrom. (With Dach and Byram being unknowns)
2017: Nolan Patrick, Cody Glass, Lias Andersson, Michael Rasmussen
2016: Pool party, Fortnite guy, Alex Nylander, Jost, Logan Brown
2014: Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury, Ritchie
2012: Yapukov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart, Pouliot, Koekkoek(and now Dumba55 is basically done)

There's a few exceptions like 2015 and 2013 but really top 10-11 being 1/3 to half stinkers is the norm.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Most of this isn’t true. But other team fans have pretended to know this situation. They heavily scouted him going into the draft.

Trocheck wasn’t re-signing, kk didn’t prevent this. Tro said no.

The canes were 6 weeks into the offseason. They needed a top 6 player still and basically left with him as the option at option 10. Maybe they shouldn’t have settled but if they truly believed in his potential. Canes manage the cap well that his cap hit wasn’t ever going to prevent anything.
the 1st and 3rd had a low chance of playing 100 games with us, kk has played three seasons.
Ya, they needed a top 6 C and they went and signed a 4th line winger. They didn't scout him, at least properly, or they would have realized there was 0 chance he was going to play in the Canes top 6. He was a project, no one that scouted him in any meaningful way would have said "this guy will run in my top 6".....he had severe limitations. primary being his skating. There is no player in the league that skates like KK and plays top 6.

And come on, 6 weeks into off season they were desperate to find a top 6 player, with a first and third and tons of cap space in hand? 12 weeks till puck drop and they best player on the board was KK? I see this said a lot, it makes no sense. They desperately needed a top 6 player so 12 weeks out they sent an OS for a guy that couldn't crack the lineup in MTL for the playoffs? Ok.

My belief is they felt confident the OS was enough that MTL would match. I mean, who walks away from a recent 3OA? Answer - a team that watched him play 200 games.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Ya, they needed a top 6 C and they went and signed a 4th line winger. They didn't scout him, at least properly, or they would have realized there was 0 chance he was going to play in the Canes top 6. He was a project, no one that scouted him in any meaningful way would have said "this guy will run in my top 6".....he had severe limitations. primary being his skating. There is no player in the league that skates like KK and plays top 6.

And come on, 6 weeks into off season they were desperate to find a top 6 player, with a first and third and tons of cap space in hand? 12 weeks till puck drop and they best player on the board was KK? I see this said a lot, it makes no sense. They desperately needed a top 6 player so 12 weeks out they sent an OS for a guy that couldn't crack the lineup in MTL for the playoffs? Ok.

My belief is they felt confident the OS was enough that MTL would match. I mean, who walks away from a recent 3OA? Answer - a team that watched him play 200 games.
Or none of this

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The book isn’t closed on Kotkaniemi. He’s young enough he can still figure it out.
The guy has played 400 games and can't skate. I imagine he will settle into a solid 4th line role but his upside at this point is known, and limited by his skill set.

Or none of this
What narrative? What in my post was inaccurate?

Are you suggesting he was a top 6 player, or on a top 6 path, when the OS was signed?

You are the one pushing a narrative.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The guy has played 400 games and can't skate. I imagine he will settle into a solid 4th line role but his upside at this point is known, and limited by his skill set.

What narrative? What in my post was inaccurate?

Are you suggesting he was a top 6 player, or on a top 6 path, when the OS was signed?

You are the one pushing a narrative.
Lol. I appreciate the im not doing it you are approach. Very elementary school of you. Especially with no prove or even logic to your reasoning

Making a max 1st and 3rd compensation offer sheet makes no sense if you are generally expecting a match. You make a simple 2nd round pick OS that is just inside of the make uncomfortable to match range, like 4 million or so.

Scouted him plenty and liked him in the draft. Seeing that our first and third picks weren’t likely to become players and we were likely out of options 6 weeks into the offseason, the OS makes sense

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Samhockey3

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
If the Canes do buy KK out, I think the Canucks may be interested in him. I have heard rumor's before that the Canucks were interested. Obviously, this would be for their bottom 6. Regardless this is all for nothing until the do admit their error and buy him out.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

So your belief is that the Canes first tried to trade for KK, weren’t able to work out a deal, and then sent an offer sheet to MTL, expecting it to be matched and to once again miss out on the player they tried to trade for?

And that makes more sense to you than “Carolina felt there was potentially a diamond in the rough in an underutilized 20-year-old recent 3OA”?

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Marc Bergevin has the biggest clown in the NHL. I have no idea why he did such a bad offer sheet to Aho. I could understand, if the offer sheet has around 9m or 10m....
We’ll assume it was. You think we did Carolina a favor? Imagine they DIDN’T match. That could have cost the Montreal franchise a #1 OA pick.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ahhhh who cares really.. we all hope there are offer sheets every offseason... It adds excitement to our boring offseason from hockey... I applaud the entertainment that was provided to us and the balls by the Canes for doing this

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I thought he was starting to put it together at the start of the season for a decent amount of games but then fell off a cliff.

His skating has improved a decent amount but not enough.

He does have some good skills.

Right now, he looks more like a 3C/4th liner going forward which would make the offer sheet and contract and overpay.

I wouldn't rule anything out with him yet if he works hard enough on his skating. And a faster release. Could be a slow burner.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You could have held onto Vince T!!!

The current front office doesn't like signing late 20/early 30 guys to long contracts. Kotkaniemi wasn't a factor in letting Trocheck walk.

Also in 3 postseasons in Carolina Trocheck went 15 points in 31 games, so they weren't letting the current postseason warrior version of Trocheck walk.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad