Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Night and Day. Sportsnet production is amateur hour with wildly erratic camera switches mid-play aka scoring chances that are discombobulating in their clumsiness. That this poor producer work is happening at all in the playoffs is stunning. Yet the frequency of poor switches is a constant every game.

Sportsnet on-air talent is brutal including a way overexposed Friedmann. TSN runs circles around them with their high quality production and on-air talent.

Sportsnet...where you rarely see the face off aside from period opening one

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Night and Day. Sportsnet production is amateur hour with wildly erratic camera switches mid-play aka scoring chances that are discombobulating in their clumsiness. That this poor producer work is happening at all in the playoffs is stunning. Yet the frequency of poor switches is a constant every game.

Sportsnet on-air talent is brutal including a way overexposed Friedmann. TSN runs circles around them with their high quality production and on-air talent.
On air talent? The best commentator on any NHL provider is Bieksa and its not even close. The 2nd best is them getting Coach Bowness to comment.

TSN broadcasts of CFL are so bad, absolute joke, that its one of many reasons to just skip the product altogether.

Who actually at TSN is worth listening to. Turning volume off seems like a mainstay in sports broadcasting in this countryl. I go one further in turning TSN off entirely.

Jeff O Neil for instance is the biggest village idiot I've encountered in broadcasting and thats including the Spitting chiclets idiots. he's always got the Leafs bias, wears their label during national broadcasts, and had this to say if people forgot:

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
On air talent? The best commentator on any NHL provider is Bieksa and its not even close. The 2nd best is them getting Coach Bowness to comment.

TSN broadcasts of CFL are so bad, absolute joke, that its one of many reasons to just skip the product altogether.

Who actually at TSN is worth listening to. Turning volume off seems like a mainstay in sports broadcasting in this countryl. I go one further in turning TSN off entirely.
Agree on Bieksa and Bowness was excellent. Hope he is brought back.

CFL has TSN or no one gets CFL football on tv. I have time for Glenn Suitor, Dunigan and Stegall. Miss Chris Schultz. Okay with Rod Smith. James Duthie is an excellent, versatile host. There's lots of on-air talent I like there.

Enjoy your not watching TSN. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Agree on Bieksa and Bowness was excellent. Hope he is brought back.

CFL has TSN or no one gets CFL football on tv. I have time for Glenn Suitor, Dunigan and Stegall. Miss Chris Schultz. Okay with Rod Smith. James Duthie is an excellent, versatile host. There's lots of on-air talent I like there.

Enjoy your not watching TSN. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
What an odd reply. The exchange is actually about Oilers hockey coverage, and Snet is our provider, and I'm thankful we have one. What a weird plot twist in your post.

I could say enjoy not watching Oilers hockey if Snet wasn't our provider.

I don't mind Duthie. The rest of the TSN hockey commentators or panel are awful. There isn't a bigger bozo than "O Dog"

I'll miss Dunnigan. Thats about it.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Last year Tkachuk, Ekblad, Montour were badly injured in the finals. This year Lundell has really come on strengthening the middle of their ice.

They are built for the playoffs and will be our toughest test yet.

The positives?
- I'm really loving Brown and Janmark with Rico. It improves our depth a TON.
- Mcdavid seems to be more like himself now. He was kinda ass for a while.
- We have the PP advantage, but will the refs call penalties??

For us to win we will need Mcdavid and Drai to be even better and I believe they will be. Don't hesitate to load em up for a few more shifts.
I think the third line makes an excellent shutdown line that can be employed in late-game defensive situation or even against Florida's scoring line(s) to get McDavid away from Barkov.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
What an odd reply. The exchange is actually about Oilers hockey coverage, and Snet is our provider, and I'm thankful we have one. What a weird plot twist in your post.

I could say enjoy not watching Oilers hockey if Snet wasn't our provider.

I don't mind Duthie. The rest of the TSN hockey commentators or panel are awful. There isn't a bigger bozo than "O Dog"

I'll miss Dunnigan. Thats about it.
You turned the conversation to CFL on TSN. I answered your odd segue to another sport. Then answered your vague opinion about TSN talent.

There will always be a broadcast market for Oilers hockey coverage. They outhit their marketshare massively with an extended, rabid fanbase. So much so that they've gone into their own private subscription streaming service. No reason to think their broadcast partner can't be better in all facets. It's a revenue driver.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don’t think they ever apologized, just swept it under the rug. I could be wrong though
Yeah I'm pretty sure I know who was responsible and they were with Sportsnet for a while after so it doesn't seem like there were any real consequences.

That’s a good point, could have been a pre-planned “lowest on the totem pole” sort of thing like Singh & DeBrusk

If that is the case Gaz needs to go on a podcast and clarify so that Cucks fans don't think they got a win.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You turned the conversation to CFL on TSN. I answered your odd segue to another sport. Then answered your vague opinion about TSN talent.

There will always be a broadcast market for Oilers hockey coverage. They outhit their marketshare massively with an extended, rabid fanbase. So much so that they've gone into their own private subscription streaming service. No reason to think their broadcast partner can't be better in all facets. It's a revenue driver.
The TSN broadcast provider that is so inept they lost the biggest sports contract in Canada, the NHL? Thats on a whole other level of incompetent. if they had everything going for them they could've outbid Rogers. They failed at the biggest sporting contract in Canada.

TSN, the channel that brought us O dog and idiots like Maguire and Ferraro. hard pass

I feel blessed, generally that our contract is with Snet. Far from perfect but the Toronto Sports Network would be worse for Oilers.

Oilers fans could remember times with ITV or Global when only 20 games were on and then a handful from CBC. Or remember when there used to be PPV Oilers broadcasts. Not cheap either.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah I'm pretty sure I know who was responsible and they were with Sportsnet for a while after so it doesn't seem like there were any real consequences.

If that is the case Gaz needs to go on a podcast and clarify so that Cucks fans don't think they got a win.

Who? Current media personality?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Who? Current media personality?

Drew Livingstone, producer of Steve Dangle's YouTube show on SN and "Lead production of digital content for all social platforms" until October 2022 according to his linkedin. Also a gigantic Avs fan.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Wtf...I just saw where Florida's arena is located....right next to a SWAMP. Now we know what to call them. SWAMP RATS. At least the Oilers arena is in downtown and has a very nice ice district outside.

Reactions: McDoused

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The TSN broadcast provider that is so inept they lost the biggest sports contract in Canada, the NHL? Thats on a whole other level of incompetent. if they had everything going for them they could've outbid Rogers. They failed at the biggest sporting contract in Canada.

TSN, the channel that brought us O dog and idiots like Maguire and Ferraro. hard pass

I feel blessed, generally that our contract is with Snet. Far from perfect but the Toronto Sports Network would be worse for Oilers.

Oilers fans could remember times with ITV or Global when only 20 games were on and then a handful from CBC. Or remember when there used to be PPV Oilers broadcasts. Not cheap either.
It was a money thing. Not a talent thing. Don't conflate the two. Rogers came in with a historic bid that they've never been able to recover from financially.

TSN talent includes a deeper range of quality PBP guys like Miller, Dan Robertson (formerly Dennis Beyak), Mudryk. Cheryl Pounder is excellent as an analyst. Mike Johnson. McLellan. Duthie as host is top of class whatever sport he is doing. Reda is solid host. Their legacy guys McKenzie, Ferraro, Poulin. Their production of World Junior and World Championships and now Memorial Cup are all highest quality. Way, way more bench strength on-air and production wise than Sportsnet.

O Dog is a cartoon. Who cares.

A regional broadcast partnership is different and distinct than national level ones and one can just tune into Jets, Leafs or Canadiens regional broadcasts to discern the difference in quality to Sportsnet Oilers or Flames. Oilers on TSN would be a much better product technically and with on-air talent directly and feeding into national talent.

We live in a modern content world and live sports are an important piece for insatiable audiences. The Oilers are a very valuable and profitable content piece within the NHL's $6 billion and growing big business. It's not that 1980s scarcity model you reference. Long ago dead and buried.

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Tkachuk was injured in g3 last year in the SCF. Florida had already been waxed in g1 amd g2 by VGK. The Panthers roster looks a lot like they did last year. Meanwhile the Oilers have added Henrique, Perry, Holloway, Brown, Broberg and Carrick (essentially replacing Yamamoto, Kostin and Bjugstad). The Oilers could smoke this opponent. The West was much tougher than the East this year. For some reason the Eastern pundits and gamblers (fueled by takes from "experts") think the Panthers should be favored. I personally think the Panthers would have lost series to the Canucks and Dallas. This is going to be fun. The TV networks want an epic 7 gamer. I think this will be Oilers in 4 or 5 if McDavid and Leon go ham and the rest of the team defends like madmen. Skinner need to be just Keumper level ok.
All I hear is that Tkachuk needed help getting out of bed last finals
No pundit talks about when his injury occurred

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It was a money thing. Not a talent thing. Don't conflate the two. Rogers came in with a historic bid that they've never been able to recover from financially.

TSN talent includes a deeper range of quality PBP guys like Miller, Dan Robertson (formerly Dennis Beyak), Mudryk. Cheryl Pounder is excellent as an analyst. Mike Johnson. McLellan. Duthie as host is top of class whatever sport he is doing. Reda is solid host. Their legacy guys McKenzie, Ferraro, Poulin. Their production of World Junior and World Championships and now Memorial Cup are all highest quality. Way, way more bench strength on-air and production wise than Sportsnet.

O Dog is a cartoon. Who cares.

A regional broadcast partnership is different and distinct than national level ones and one can just tune into Jets, Leafs or Canadiens regional broadcasts to discern the difference in quality to Sportsnet Oilers or Flames. Oilers on TSN would be a much better product technically and with on-air talent directly and feeding into national talent.
Thanks for the exchange. I have a permanent learned dislike for the Toronto Sports Network. Not sure of the comment on Rogers never being able to recover financially from NHL bid. Would need citation on that.

I find TSN broadcasts to be self indulgent. Self important. As if the media are the story. the general meme about TSN is 80% talking heads and 20% sports. I guess if you've watched those guys a lot it just seems like much better talent. Again I agree with Duthie, seems in a class by himself on TSN.

TSN seems to put more priority on NBA, MLB, NFL, leagues that cumulatively have 2 Canadian member clubs. That seems odd to me. Probably because I don't give a rats ass about any of those leagues it diminishes what the meaning of having TSN even is. I could see people seeing it differently if they were big fans of those sports or leagues.

The only domestic league that matters to me is NHL and Snet got it on.

Wtf...I just saw where Florida's arena is located....right next to a SWAMP. Now we know what to call them. SWAMP RATS. At least the Oilers arena is in downtown and has a very nice ice district outside.
Most of Florida would seem next to a swamp to me but not a huge fan of Alligators, Crocodiles and Everglades.

Give me Hawaii any day.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thanks for the exchange. I have a permanent learned dislike for the Toronto Sports Network. Not sure of the comment on Rogers never being able to recover financially from NHL bid. Would need citation on that.

I find TSN broadcasts to be self indulgent. Self important. As if the media are the story. the general meme about TSN is 80% talking heads and 20% sports. I guess if you've watched those guys a lot it just seems like much better talent. Again I agree with Duthie, seems in a class by himself on TSN.

TSN seems to put more priority on NBA, MLB, NFL, leagues that cumulatively have 2 Canadian member clubs. That seems odd to me. Probably because I don't give a rats ass about any of those leagues it diminishes what the meaning of having TSN even is. I could see people seeing it differently if they were big fans of those sports or leagues.

The only domestic league that matters to me is NHL and Snet got it on.
TSN knows where their bread is buttered (so does Sportsnet for that matter) with the huge population base in Toronto. TSN also carved out Leaf regional broadcast rights - the really big revenue piece - so somewhat naturally their content tilts that way.

I don't get that vibe watching TSN content that you have. Moreso a vibe of smarter on-air talent with more polish and personality than what I see across sports broadcast on Sportsnet. TSN has prioritized Canadiana that includes regional NHL broadcast; heavy lifting of the long teetering CFL; Canadian World Junior Hockey; Curling; Canadian Soccer; and recently CHL and Memorial Cup junior hockey. It's core to their broadcast mandate (and legislated requirements) but a sustaining strength of their network content.

Sportsnet Oilers hockey can and should be much better in all respects. Can't forget how coming out of covid to save bucks they had Michaels and Debrusk broadcast road games out of Edmonton trying to call plays they themselves were watching on tv screens. Weak cheese imo.

TSN has always been the big brother network. Sportsnet has come into its own buying up quality product (NHL and MLB) but their delivery is well below the benchmark TSN sets across its sports content offerings.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
TSN knows where their bread is buttered (so does Sportsnet for that matter) with the huge population base in Toronto. TSN also carved out Leaf regional broadcast rights - the really big revenue piece - so somewhat naturally their content tilts that way.

I don't get that vibe watching TSN content that you have. Moreso a vibe of smarter on-air talent with more polish and personality than what I see across sports broadcast on Sportsnet. TSN has prioritized Canadiana that includes regional NHL broadcast; heavy lifting of the long teetering CFL; Canadian World Junior Hockey; Curling; Canadian Soccer; and recently CHL and Memorial Cup junior hockey. It's core to their broadcast mandate (and legislated requirements) but a sustaining strength of their network content.

Sportsnet Oilers hockey can and should be much better in all respects. Can't forget how coming out of covid to save bucks they had Michaels and Debrusk broadcast road games out of Edmonton trying to call plays they themselves were watching on tv screens. Weak cheese imo.

TSN has always been the big brother network. Sportsnet has come into its own buying up quality product (NHL and MLB) but their delivery is well below the benchmark TSN sets across its sports content offerings.

Even the website and postgame is a step above. Usability and look of the TSN site is superior and the synopsis of the game has actual commentary and editing, not just "here, watch some snippets from the game"

Agree as well in that they have a superior team and do their best with the sports coverage they get. Regarding the "Toronto Sports Network" thing, Sportsnet is really no better with this and they also seem to constantly fluff other rivals in the Flames, Canucks etc and underrepresent other Canadian teams (two of which TSN holds rights for so makes sense) which evens it out more

Sportsnet / Rogers basically buys up everything and mails it in. The definition of an 'evil empire' telecom monopoly

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Splitting Nurse and Kulak after Nurse played 3 incredibly strong games to end the Dallas series is certainly a choice. Hoping it's a feint.

Reactions: PuckG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad