Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Ouch. Kiss of death.

I actually think Barkov is likely to shut down whomever he plays against. He really is that good. But that is why having McDrai on separate lines is so important. This likely means Florida matches hard against McDavid, and Drai is going to need to have a hell of a series.
Then he needs a little better than the likes of Foegele, McLeod, and Perry as linemates.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nah that would be StarCraft Broodwar. Sorry, not sorry. ;)
That was amazing too. Starcraft is a real waves game. Waves and waves of them. It was really cool. Loved the hogs (War Pigs). Might have to buy that one again.

The biggest difference between the two games is you don't control anything in Majesty. The heroes do their own thing. You need to provide, protect and persuade. Then just kind of hope that you and they are smart enough. The Gold HD is fairly tough. No difficulty settings.

Oops, I guess just the nerds voted it best only in 2000.

"The editors of Computer Gaming World nominated Majesty as the best strategy game of 2000"

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think this is the series where the Carrick acquisition may pay some dividends. People trying to fit Gagner into the lineup may be better off looking at fitting Foegele back into the equation. The size/speed combo will definitely help counter the fast physical game Florida comes with.

Odds are we see another coaching adjustment once we see the kind of forecheck Florida comes to the table with. The Rangers, albeit late in the series, moved to flipping pucks into the NZ like we did in the Dallas series to relieve forecheck pressure. Clean breakouts are going to be hard work.
Foegele is the only player that Knoblauch hasn't worked his magic on.

If Foegele can accept the dump and chase role he would be perfect for this series.

Unfortunately I do not believe Foegele is capable of that role and it's a pity because the Oilers defensive schematic is built on making the simple and safe high percentage plays over and over.

A big fast player who knows his job is to get the puck safely out of his own zone, gain the center line, dump the puck and battle along the boards or get a shot on net looking for a rebound is just what the doctor ordered. It's not circling the zone like Hyman and looking for an outlet. Nor is it one touch passing at his own blue line or in the neutral zone. Because he can't do it effectively. He refuses to accept his limitations.

Since Foegele arrived in Edmonton he has a grand total two short stretches where he has accomplished the above positives. That's the honest breakdown of his time with the Oil.

The trick is you can't deviate from the game plan. Not even one time. You f*** up that one time and it quickly cascades out of control shift after shift and even from one game to another.

Reactions: K1984

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
CP is less active than I had hoped. I think they’ve gone into quiet resignation and blind hope that Florida will beat us.

I've been living and dying with this team since '79.

I've been a member of HFboards for over 20 years (joined Feb 2002).

I lived through the heartbreak of G7 2006, shortly followed by the Pronger trade fiasco.

I'm going to ****ing enjoy this week, and the series that follows.

I'm 54 years old now, who knows when this chance will come again. There's no guarantees in life (I've had to bury 2 brothers-in-law, both dying around the age I am now), so this is for Tom and Raymond.
Long time no post, my HF friend. Glad to see you on again!

Reactions: Faelko and Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I see the Oilers beating the Panthers pretty quickly. The thing is that I believe the Stars were the toughest opponent possible for the Oilers. They are like the Kings except much more aggressive and disciplined. And deep

The Panthers have that, but not up to Dallas' level. They are probably better offensively and on special teams than Dallas but I don't see that as a big problem for the Oilers. Same goes for physical play. If the Panthers turn this series ugly, the Oilers can play that way just as easily

But if I'm wrong then I guess they are every bit as good as Dallas but without the downsides. I just don't see it. I see Dallas and Florida as close in quality.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Florida played us twice and won both, but Pickard played both games and we haven't rolled out this version of Skinner yet. We've also perfected our PK, added Henrique, and saw Brown, Broberg and Holloway develop into more effective players. This is a new Oilers team. I think it will be tight and similar to the Dallas series.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I keep hearing that Floridas forwards are super physical. Are they referring to Tkachuk and Bennett? Is there anyone else?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
P
Lol at saying barkov can shut down mvdavid lmao
Nothing to laugh at really. He is that good. Odds are very high that whatever line he plays the most won't be really productive. That is why having McDrai on seperate lines helps

I'm sure he will be on for maybe a couple, but he'll be extreme effective in the series. He's a beast

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don’t understand this Florida had a harder path to the cup non sense either.

View attachment 879165
I think it's perception. Tampa is a championship pedigree team so they'll get a lot more respect than a generic playoff team like the Kings. Same with Bruins vs. Canucks. The record is close but the Canucks were a 1st time playoff team while the Bruins are the more proven commodity. I can sort of understand it, I'd say that the Bruins vs. Lightning were a tougher path as well with the Rangers and Stars being a saw off.

Personally, I couldn't care less about it. The Stars were an auto win against the Oilers apparently because they beat the previous two Cup champs while the Oilers beat a supposed couple of nobodies and we saw how that turned out.
The reality is that the Panthers and Oilers are two elite teams that are well deserving of playing in the finals and may the best team win. Who they played up until this point is largely irrelevant.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks that the true MVP of this team isn’t 97, 29, nor 74, nor any other skater, but actually Kris Knoblauch? I actually think the guy is a coaching superstar but not many are picking up on just how good of a job he’s doing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There are people who literally had kids because of the 2006 playoff run, are watching them graduate high school and leave for university, and can now kick back and watch the next Oilers playoff run. 18 years. 18 years. The 2006 playoff run had one of our kids, cost us 18 years.

LET'S GO OILERS!!!!
I read this as some kind of warning preaching responsibility during these fun times. Probably good advice.

• Haha
Reactions: Paralyzer

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
P

Nothing to laugh at really. He is that good. Odds are very high that whatever line he plays the most won't be really productive. That is why having McDrai on seperate lines helps

I'm sure he will be on for maybe a couple, but he'll be extreme effective in the series. He's a beast
It’s why I’d likely put RNH with Drai, I’m sure it’ll be Barkov on McDavid. Gives Drai some help offensively.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I am not hearing any more noise about the Oilers being the underdog, Just not buying it. Everyone knows the Oilers vs Vegas was the true Stanley cup final last year, instead Florida got dog walked in the finals by Vegas.

Last 2 champions have come from the west and this year will be no different, gonna enjoy the salty tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad