Speculation: Report: Maple Leafs' Trade Offer For Flames' Goaltender Jacob Markstrom Was 'Comparable' to Deal Executed With Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What young Leaf blueliner is in the Bahl category? Toronto doesn't have lot of good young defenders.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Does Treliving not hire pro scouts? Why is he always so fixated on bringing in his former players? How about come up with a fresh idea for a change.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Comparable to who?
Calgary could simply have preferred Bahl to whomever leafs were offering?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
like I said that excuse doesn't fly because they are retaining for 2 years on Markstrom
You can only retain so many , I think 3 per year. He was saving them for bigger deals with Hanifin, Lindholm, Tanev and possibly Markstrom.

Anyway, Treliving was being cheap then complained about it. That’s how he operates.

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
wonder how many of the Leaf posters would have changed there tune if they ended up with Markstrom.;)

Sure, not getting Markstrom is a "blessing in disguise."
That's just how people are.

Markstrom traded to the Leafs: "He's going to be an amazing asset for our organization and we will probably win the cup." "I'm so happy!!!!" "I can't wait until the season begins!"

Same person's opinion on Markstrom traded to any other team than the Leafs: He wouldn't make much of a difference to our team and he's old....pass, and I'm glad we didn't give up that return for trash." "Markstrom sucks! Glad it wasn't us."

Opinions aren't worth much until proven with history.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That's just how people are.

Markstrom traded to the Leafs: "He's going to be an amazing asset for our organization and we will probably win the cup." "I'm so happy!!!!" "I can't wait until the season begins!"

Same person's opinion on Markstrom traded to any other team than the Leafs: He wouldn't make much of a difference to our team and he's old....pass, and I'm glad we didn't give up that return for trash." "Markstrom sucks! Glad it wasn't us."

Opinions aren't worth much until proven with history.
Sure, if you are referring to the opinions of two different Leaf fans. You can easily change teams and show contrasts in the opinions of those fans too.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
There was a rumour out there that EDM offered more for Tanev at the deadline than DAL did, but CGY accepted less from DAL, rather than deal with EDM. If that's true, it's just bad business, CGY isn't in WIN NOW mode imo, they are going to try and rebuild and be ready for when their new building is ready in 3 or 4 years. You should be trying to maximize every deal, regardless of who the trade partner is. If they took less from NJ, just to avoid dealing with TOR, that would bad business as well. But, obviously these are all just speculation, no proof, so who really knows the truth? not me.

I do think Markstrom would of been a solid fit in TOR, and a good mentor for Woll. Oh well, that door is closed now.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
idk why Trevling is still wasting time calling Calgary. They aren't trading anyone to him. It's legit a waste of his time to be calling them. Calgary's owner legit prob is telling Conroy to lead him on for weeks and then reject his offers to f*** with him.
“Legit prob”

Both ends of the spectrum there.
Are you saying it’s true and you made it up?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
wonder how many of the Leaf posters would have changed there tune if they ended up with Markstrom.;)

They prefer to claim an injury prone mid level guy who has played very few games putting up Campbell like numbers is their savior.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

Judging by how quickly you changed your tune, I'd say quite a few.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I know my point is it makes no sense that they wouldn't retain on Zadorov who was up at seasons end.

But will retain on Markstrom who is up 2026 I believe
Rumour was the original NJ deal was squashed as a result of the Flames refusing to retain.
The Flames and Devils negotiated a Markstrom deal at this year's deadline, but it reportedly fell apart over salary retention.

It appears there was a change in circumstances, which could be a combination of Markstrom wanting to get the f*** out after the gongshow and the actual trades that happened.

Zadorov was traded early. The Flames were still looking to trade at least Lindholm, Markstrom, Hanifin and Tanev. They would retain with Tanev and Hanifin. So if they did retain on Zadorov in November, you can see how it had the potential to f*** up the rest of the trades (let's say they were willing to make this trade at the deadline, they wouldn't have even been able to since Zadorov, Hanifin and Tanev were already retained).

Zadorov was the least value-wise, plus he wanted out, but retaining on him and potentially handcuffing them on the actual important trades would have been the biggest blunder the Flames made since their last biggest blunder which I assumed happened like a day earlier.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I'd rather have New Jersey's 1st round pick than Toronto's. Toronto has a much better chance of finishing higher in the standings. There is one caveat, New Jersey has a better chance of going to the Semi-finals in the playoffs, which would knock the pick down to 29-32, however, I don't think they have a great chance of advancing that far, maybe 1%, but Toronto is probably 0.001%.

Also, Calgary isn't going to help their ex-GM Treliving complete a trade, unless the offer is substantially higher.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
There was a rumour out there that EDM offered more for Tanev at the deadline than DAL did, but CGY accepted less from DAL, rather than deal with EDM. If that's true, it's just bad business, CGY isn't in WIN NOW mode imo, they are going to try and rebuild and be ready for when their new building is ready in 3 or 4 years. You should be trying to maximize every deal, regardless of who the trade partner is. If they took less from NJ, just to avoid dealing with TOR, that would bad business as well. But, obviously these are all just speculation, no proof, so who really knows the truth? not me.

I do think Markstrom would of been a solid fit in TOR, and a good mentor for Woll. Oh well, that door is closed now.
Conroy addressed this rumour in an interview the other day.

It sounded like there was a first on the table but the team kept saying “wait a week… wait another couple days… we need more time” and eventually went with the Dallas package. You can’t be left at the alter waiting on a team. Both Dallas and presumably Edmonton could have moved in different directions and you’re left with a lesser return (or nothing)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad