Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith traded to NYR for 2nd and 5th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Sid already has more money than he knows what to do with, same with Malkin, Letang. It's all ego from here out for any additional core contracts.
Could be financial or ego or avoiding boredom or a combination of the foregoing or something else. I don’t think anyone on these boards knows. We read all the time of athletes who made kazillions of bucks while playing and then declared bankruptcy 5 years later. And frankly some people in other lines of work will keep working as long as there’s money to be made whether they’re rich or not. Not leaving money on the table is just the way some people roll.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
The retention makes this trade not worth it…rather have kept Smith and flipped him at the deadline for a third…
Ah...in some ways it's similar to Hayes. We are selling cap space! I don't think $1.25M drag will prevent us from anything really.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Could be financial or ego or avoiding boredom or a combination of the foregoing or something else. I don’t think anyone on these boards knows. We read all the time of athletes who made kazillions of bucks while playing and then declared bankruptcy 5 years later. And frankly some people in other lines of work will keep working as long as there’s money to be made whether they’re rich or not. Not leaving money on the table is just the way some people roll.
I don't care, tbqh. I'm also very bored with this conversation, so farewell.

Reactions: td_ice

BobCole

May 21, 2014
It's the fact that ALL these guys know is being professional hockey players. These are the years they will relish and relive for the rest of their lives. They love competing and being on a team is tantamount to being part of a family to them. Retiring from Pro hockey is tough for these guys. Many of them struggle with their health (mental and physical). Most pro hockey players will play until their body breaks or they can't find a job. Do they want to win Cups? Sure. But for almost all of them, playing in the NHL >>>>>>>>>> being on the sidelines.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Props to Doobler for at the bare minimum, identifying when a player is not working and removing them.

Permanently scarred by JR trying to gaslight the fanbase into thinking JJ was a good deal

This.

Criticize Dubas as much as you want, he's not afraid to cut ties if a player's underperforming. If only he had that mentality with head coaches.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It's the fact that ALL these guys know is being professional hockey players. These are the years they will relish and relive for the rest of their lives. They love competing and being on a team is tantamount to being part of a family to them. Retiring from Pro hockey is tough for these guys. Many of them struggle with their health (mental and physical). Most pro hockey players will play until their body breaks or they can't find a job. Do they want to win Cups? Sure. But for almost all of them, playing in the NHL >>>>>>>>>> being on the sidelines.
Agree. You said more eloquently what I meant by fear of boredom. In other words, this is all I’ve done. What now?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It still eats at the cap, which sucks, and goes for one more season.
Just for this season - Smith is a UFA in 2025.

And for this season? Dubas basically said they're rebuilding. So there's not really any reason to need an extra $1.25M this year.

Granted, I would have thought that would mean they wouldn't need to fill the roster with veterans, and would have given room for prospects to show what they can do. I do have a theory on that score though. Two reasons:
1. They're bolstering WB/S, and expect Pittsburgh to not be great, so might as well continue developing prospects in a winning environment instead of what the NHL team will be.
2. Appeasing Sullivan.

On the one hand, Dubas has been starting to build up both the prospect pool, and is starting to accumulate picks. On the other hand, I would have preferred to just not sign NHL players and leave room for prospects than bringing in Beauvillier and Grzelcyk.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Just for this season - Smith is a UFA in 2025.

And for this season? Dubas basically said they're rebuilding. So there's not really any reason to need an extra $1.25M this year.

Granted, I would have thought that would mean they wouldn't need to fill the roster with veterans, and would have given room for prospects to show what they can do. I do have a theory on that score though. Two reasons:
1. They're bolstering WB/S, and expect Pittsburgh to not be great, so might as well continue developing prospects in a winning environment instead of what the NHL team will be.
2. Appeasing Sullivan.

On the one hand, Dubas has been starting to build up both the prospect pool, and is starting to accumulate picks. On the other hand, I would have preferred to just not sign NHL players and leave room for prospects than bringing in Beauvillier and Grzelcyk.
I was talking about the Jack Johnson buyout, lol.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Meh. One year deal with 25% retention. I don't think it's that impressive to get a 2nd three years out.

Well I typed that before I saw there was retention. But honestly, given how he performed and his cap hit, I still think that's better value than I expected.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The retention makes this trade not worth it…rather have kept Smith and flipped him at the deadline for a third…

This is pretty much a third. They definitely got it, rather than maybe not getting it because he got injured or stunk the place out. The cost is retention all season, rather than retention (and possibly more of it) for some of a season.

It seems a pretty small difference either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad