Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith traded to NYR for 2nd and 5th round pick

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Accumulating picks is what rebuilding teams do. As you are evaluating undeveloped kids, you need a lot of picks to hit. Dubas is doing just that.

Smith going, as long as the price was right, was necessary. And the price was right.

But it also makes clear, if it was not before, that this team is rebuilding.

A more interesting question to me is how the core reacts to reality settling in.

Do they still want to ride gently into the night with a farewell tour of two or three years, or go elsewhere to compete.

I could see this going either way now.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Good deal for Dubas and good riddance to a dude who obviously didn't want to be here.

The downside: you've probably lost your best PKing F (although Sully inexplicably didn't give him a ton of PK duties)

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will be moving assets after this season for picks and prospects. Dubas is just giving Sid enough talent to get into a playoff position. But he could have added what I consider a upgrade in size grit and talent at LW instead of Hayes. But he wants picks.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Easy to say, but probably tough to leave several million on the table when you’re looking at a long lifetime in front of you with much lower pay.
Sid already has more money than he knows what to do with, same with Malkin, Letang. It's all ego from here out for any additional core contracts.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, I did not include Malkin among those who may want out now.

He has said several times that he would only play here. His play has not held up like Crosby's has. I just see him as the least likely to want to end elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad