Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Im fine with this. Whats the alternative? Give toffoli 4 X $6? Guentzel 7 X $9.25?

This ensures we have the neccessary cap space to take a run at draisaitl next offseason. Drury clearly has big plans for next offseason and 2026. Two pretty solid ufa classes

And also, he can slide down to bottom 6 if we decide to go after vatrano at deadline

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
25% makes a big difference here. It's unfortunate that we couldn't find 1 year deals though, as those 2nds are often handy for deadline moves.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Pittsburgh also retained 1.25m so we have him at Goodrow money. I'd say that's quite the upgrade in how that cap space is being used.

And we owned two 2nd round picks in the 2027 draft, so we'll still have another that year after trading one away.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Kind of hate it but if he has a comeback season this could work out very nicely.

More of a wait and see move but there were so many options that could've been had for just money that this doesn't really make sense.

Not sure what Duclair got per year but that would've been a much preferred move to Smith.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes players aren't good fits with certain teams.

You would think he would fit with Mika and Chris better than any of Kakko, Wheeler and Roslovic did. He does have over 500 NHL points. He does have good playoff numbers and has won a Cup.

Reactions: egelband

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Kind of hate it but if he has a comeback season this could work out very nicely.

More of a wait and see move but there were so many options that could've been had for just money that this doesn't really make sense.

Not sure what Duclair got per year but that would've been a much preferred move to Smith.
Well Duclair was a 4 year commitment (3.5m AAV I believe) wheras Smith is just 1 year. With the contracts needing to be signed soon, it's better to have less term commitment wherever possible on complimentary players.

Reactions: egelband

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
i dont know how anyone can truly complain at this....very useful player for 3.75

the 2nd rounder is in 2027......we can recoup that 2nd at any point down the line, everyone needs to relax lol

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
He's like a poor man's Buchnevich honestly. I like the fit. I just dislike the consistent undervaluing of draft picks...
Hey even in a down year he scored at a better rate 5v5 than Mika and Kreids so there's that (which isn't saying much)

It's a 2nd rounder 3 years from now. From both GMs perspectives that's rightfully worth very little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad