GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
620d05e5a0c39c7acb1f0f4d34d4759143cfe14d.png

View attachment 891775
Yeah, I don't think Yzerman's done yet. He would've had a press conference already.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Buffalo’s done nothing
Montreal added prospects but are still years away
Ottawa got worse
Tampa got worse
Boston got worse
Florida TBD, if they lose Ekblad they could be worse (also possible cup hangover)
Toronto arguably got worse
Florida, Boston. Toronto and Tampa Bay are all still far better than Detroit.
Washington the team that beat us out for the final playoff spot got a lot better.

Detroit also got worse and Justin Holl is still on the f***ing roster.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Buffalo did nothing, but have way more young players than Detroit that should improve: Benson, Quinn, JJ Peterka, Byram, Power, Levi... plus Savoie, Kulich, and others that might make the roster. That team has a ridiculous embarrassment of top end young talent, I wouldn't count them out.

Montreal is still going to be bad, I agree.

Ottawa lost Chychrun and Tarasenko, but people are still underselling the massive upgrade in net with Ullmark. At worst they're the same as last year.

Boston got better - they lost Ullmark, but they can just rely more heavily on Swayman to make up for that. They added another top 4D who plays their style of hockey, and a top 6 C.
Lohrei-McAvoy-Lindholm-Carlo-Zadorov is the best top 5 D in the NHL.

Tampa lost Stamkos and Serg, but replaced them with Guentzel and JJ Moser...I think that's a wash at worst, given that Serg was not very good this past year. Moser is highly underrated, and Guentzel is a definite upgrade on Stamkos. I'd say they're equal or slightly better than last year.

Florida is still a top team even if they take a bit of a hit from losing Montour.

Not sure how Toronto got worse... they added 2 D and Bertuzzi did very little for them anyways.

And that's just our division.

We were competing for a spot last year with the Islanders, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, Buffalo, and I guess you could stretch it to New Jersey. Of those teams, the Penguins definitely got worse and will be shit next year. Otherwise, the Isles added Duclair and should be similarly competitive next year, especially if Sorokin bounces back. Washington added 3 very good players and will be much better. Philly is adding a likely superstar in Michkov. NJ added Pesce and with a healthy roster they are stacked.

I believe Raymond will be a 90-point player next year and Seider will continue to improve. But that's all we have - and it's not enough to compete with the rest of the East.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
people wouldn't shut up all last offseason about how Boston's Centers were gonna keep them out of the Playoffs and didn't want to even entertain the idea that with Pastrnak and their Defense/Goalies they would be fine

then they almost win the President's trophy

now those same people won't shut up about how swapping Ullmark for Lindholm apparently makes them worse

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Get ready for some tight checking 2-1 games. We still need Trouba imo
Other than that I’m w/e would have liked to clearly upgrade but I’m ready to see these guys in the NHL
Seider as #1 PP guy excites me. Let him hit 60 points this year and get in the Norris conversation

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
people wouldn't shut up all last offseason about how Boston's Centers were gonna keep them out of the Playoffs and didn't want to even entertain the idea that with Pastrnak and their Defense/Goalies they would be fine

now those same people won't shut up about how swapping Ullmark for Lindholm apparently makes them worse

I don't think they'll be worse, but I think the Lindholm contract could look really bad really fast. Yeah, there's an expectation that his linemates can carry him, but I'm not sure I'd throw that kind of money at a center with the expectation that he'll have to be heavily carried by his linemates to look passable.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't think they'll be worse, but I think the Lindholm contract could look really bad really fast. Yeah, there's an expectation that his linemates can carry him, but I'm not sure I'd throw that kind of money at a center with the expectation that he'll have to be heavily carried by his linemates to look passable.

yeah it's not a pretty contract with that 7 year term

that's more so a future problem than something for them to worry about right now though, he's a better Center than anything they had and should at least somewhat earn what he's being paid for the first half of the contract or so

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Shane Pinto signed with Ottawa so it looks like reports of him demanding a trade were wrong.

It's still odd, that why did want to pay a 3rd for getting rid of Mathieu Joseph 2.95M, younger player...

...and did sign regressing Perron for 4.0M, 2 years. This Perron signing and Pinto extension did eat all their cap.

There's now space for 4x ELC, 3.6M. 4 roster spots open.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
yeah it's not a pretty contract with that 7 year term

that's more so a future problem than something for them to worry about right now though, he's a better Center than anything they had and should at least somewhat earn what he's being paid for the first half of the contract or so

Yeah, it's definitely a future problem, and Pasta should pull his numbers up a bit. But I also view Boston as a bit of a paper tiger. They have Pasta up front, but Marchand is 36 and they don't have a lot behind them. They have a good blueline, but I'm not sure it's dominant. I'm expecting them to make the playoffs pretty easily, and whether or not they get out of the first round will almost entirely depend on matchups.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

1720032440511.png

• Haha
Reactions: jfrank21

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Reimer <> Talbot
Perron <> Berggren
Sprong <> Motte
Ghost <> Gustafsson
Walman <> Edvinsson

Those are pretty much the on-ice roster changes. We'll see if something happens on the RD side.

And Talbot should be the starter Goalie, not just a plug like Reimer was.

Ras - Larkin - Raymond
Cat - Compher - Kane
Fabbri - Veleno - Berggren
Motte
- Copp - Fischer
--------------------------
(Snively, Kasper,Mazur)

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Määttä - Gustafsson
--------------
Johansson - Holl
(Lagesson)

Talbot
Lyon/Husso

Ugh, I just don't like the makeup.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ugh, I just don't like the makeup.
Yeah. Just shuffling them around can make it slightly better.

DBC - Larkin - Kane (if DBC and Kane are together, they have to be with Larkin)
Berggren - Compher - Ray (Make or break for Burgers, IMO this can make him)
Ras - Copp - Fabbri/Fabbri (If you think this is meh, don't look down 1 line)
Motte - Veleno - Fabbri/Fischer (avert your eyes...)

Maatta - Mo (steady Eddie for Mo)
Ed - Gustafsson (Petry doesn't have the mobility for pairing 2)
Chiarot - Petry (dreaming, I know...)
AlJo rotated in regularly for anyone not Mo or Ed.

Maybe swap Gus and Chiarot, Iunno... we desperately need a 2RD.

Talbot
Lyon
Husso

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Florida, Boston. Toronto and Tampa Bay are all still far better than Detroit.
Washington the team that beat us out for the final playoff spot got a lot better.

Detroit also got worse and Justin Holl is still on the f***ing roster.
Can you list the ways Detroit got worse?

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Yeah. Just shuffling them around can make it slightly better.

DBC - Larkin - Kane (if DBC and Kane are together, they have to be with Larkin)
Berggren - Compher - Ray (Make or break for Burgers, IMO this can make him)
Ras - Copp - Fabbri/Fabbri (If you think this is meh, don't look down 1 line)
Motte - Veleno - Fabbri/Fischer (avert your eyes...)

Maatta - Mo (steady Eddie for Mo)
Ed - Gustafsson (Petry doesn't have the mobility for pairing 2)
Chiarot - Petry (dreaming, I know...)
AlJo rotated in regularly for anyone not Mo or Ed.

Maybe swap Gus and Chiarot, Iunno... we desperately need a 2RD.

Talbot
Lyon
Husso
Bottom line, we have too many 3rd pair D, We need a 2nd pair right D and a 2nd line C

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Can you list the ways Detroit got worse?
Our forward group is definitely not as strong.

Unless SY is infusing guys like Kaspar and Danielson and they make up for the lost scoring from Perron, Sprong, Ghost, etc.

I genuinely don’t see Berggren doing anything. This illusion he’s Nyquist 2.0 is crazy.

But I guess no one expected missing out last year by a stupid f***ing point, so we’ll see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad